• Liberal Democract
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Independent / Other
    • Not voting
    • Spoilt Vote

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/19 at 09:28 AM

3 hours ago, BCM said:

The idea is that traditional large economic trading blocs are not working anymore and we'd be better off extracting ourselves from one and taking advantage of what that can (potentially) bring - more efficiency and agility, faster decision-making, less regulation and red tape etc.

So kind of like entering a geopolitical gig economy.

• Like 1

lol yeah I guess so

13 hours ago, BCM said:

A lot of the electorate are confused about this and probably do think and want the UK to be more white after Brexit. However, I don't think the government believes this and as has already been said, if we are to agree new trade deals with the likes of India, China, Brazil etc there will definitely have to be concessions made on Visas and immigration from those countries. If anything, it's likely the UK will end up "more brown" after Brexit, which is quite amusing in a way.

I think the plan for us is to become a more agile, nimble economy with many bilateral trade deals in place around the world. The idea is that traditional large economic trading blocs are not working anymore and we'd be better off extracting ourselves from one and taking advantage of what that can (potentially) bring - more efficiency and agility, faster decision-making, less regulation and red tape etc. That's not to say any of this will actually happen once we leave, but that's the general idea. I think long-term (in the order of 50 years plus) the UK is predicted to benefit from Brexit and be more successful than we would have been had we remained. But that is the long-term picture and likely for the next couple of decades it will have a negative impact.

But oh well, I'm fed up of it now and am accepting this decision as a validation that the electorate do want to get Brexit across the line. It is what it is, and rightly or wrongly we are where we are.

We do need to move forward now and heal as a nation. I am in a way glad that the majority for Conservative was so large and decisive as it has at least provided clarity and a clear direction of travel.

i agree that bojo isn't as petty on race, but if the 'more white' thing doesn't happen then i think that will make people disillusioned about the purpose of brexit. hopefully those ideas are dying out, but i do think it's hard to be heavily nationalistic, closing borders, stopping immigration, etc without having at least a whiff of implied racism and superiority. historically that has been the case at least. i feel you on the last part too, if it's going to be like this, they may as well just get it done.

now a few have insisted on UKs viability in the long run. i understand that the UK has a lot to offer. I think it is a cultural powerhouse for one thing and yall have set a very high bar for the arts. can we really see the tories taking advantage of this? i can only imagine further cutbacks to grants and funding for the BBC. they talk big about an agile economy and whatnot but it won't be one that actually benefits your everyday worker. i realised they don't even need to have a plan - they're rich so they'll be fine. they already think everything is more or less fine and dandy and if you don't like it you're the one with a problem and you're just not trying hard enough and blah blah. i think there will be unprecedented challenges in the next decade that will completely change the way life works. i am not convinced that the strengths that have been outlined will still be relevant then. on a political level, no one seems to be talking about the future except in a way that promotes regression to some fictional past where everything was safe and peachy.

in terms of 'agile' economy and whatnot this is a phrase that gets thrown around a lot by neoliberals like our old pm malcolm turnbull and i don't think it's necessarily a bad thing but i do think 'ideas economy' makes more sense (which is also a thing he said a few times). i think countries with the privilege to peruse 'luxury education' may as well be the ones selling their ideas. i mean we won't have any other jobs because literally everything can be done cheaper by exploiting people overseas but it doesn't make economic sense to outsource that killer idea you had for a screenplay. i think we undervalue our ideas, value in physical labour is where the main props are at. the ideas economy already exists in the form of the internet, but i think it hasn't reached its full potential.

however i would not trust a slimy fuck like mal or bojo or the reptiles they associate with to implement an 'ideas economy' that actually works. they're randian scumbags who are not interested in helping the average person. they're the sort of people who think people deserve to be poor, homeless, failing at life.

• Like 1

Just swingin' on by to say -- You guys suck almost as much as we do. 

🤗

10 minutes ago, Mesh Gear Fox said:

the reptiles they associate with

*envisions mesh gear fox's front door being kicked in*

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mesh Gear Fox said:

'ideas economy'

The Anglo-Saxon cultural hegemony is a historical event. Don't think that the British are exceptionally good at having ideas. An "ideas economy" is not a sustainable economy concept.

THERE ARE NO REPTILES

THERE ARE NO REPTILES

THERE ARE NO REPTILES

THERE ARE NO REPTILES

THERE ARE NO REPTILES

On 12/2/2019 at 9:53 PM, dr lopez said:

Been listening to this again tonight...man if this was available on some kind of double C90 cassette I'd totally buy the shit out of it.  Conservatives missing a trick here.

• Like 1

the reptile thing was a hyperbole btw just in case anyone actually thinks i'm off the deep end with the conspiracies.

1 hour ago, darreichungsform said:

The Anglo-Saxon cultural hegemony is a historical event. Don't think that the British are exceptionally good at having ideas. An "ideas economy" is not a sustainable economy concept.

i'm not convinced that it's not sustainable, i think how it is implemented is more important here. i don't think the brits are necessarily exceptional BUT most have the luxury to pursue these ideas without having to worry about where the nearest source of fresh water is. i guess i'm saying if you're going to be privileged af, you may as well be productive with it. i would say the same about australia too.

16 hours ago, BCM said:

think the plan for us is to become a more agile, nimble economy with many bilateral trade deals in place around the world. The idea is that traditional large economic trading blocs are not working anymore and we'd be better off extracting ourselves from one and taking advantage of what that can (potentially) bring - more efficiency and agility, faster decision-making, less regulation and red tape

What’s actually going to happen is you’ll get bent over by larger economies. The EU has an economy similar in size to the US and China, which allows it to bargain on more equal terms, as well as taking into account the ability to produce goods in a system that takes advantage of economies of scale. The UK has none of that. 

also big lol at faster decision-making, given how long the whole brexit deal has taken. 

Just to be clear, I understand this is not your argument @BCM  

• Like 3

RE the poll in this thread. I can’t delete my choice like in other watmm polls. I put mine as conservative as a joke. Sorry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, chenGOD said:

What’s actually going to happen is you’ll get bent over by larger economies. The EU has an economy similar in size to the US and China, which allows it to bargain on more equal terms, as well as taking into account the ability to produce goods in a system that takes advantage of economies of scale. The UK has none of that. 

also big lol at faster decision-making, given how long the whole brexit deal has taken. 

Just to be clear, I understand this is not your argument @BCM  

Yeah, was thinking about responding to this as well. This idea that larger trading blocs wont work, seems related to the direction the US currently actively seems to pursue with respect to their negative views of the WTO. Which, in a way is a bloc to defend economic rights.

Without jumping into the deep end here, the danger is that the world economy returns back to a place where economic rights are defined by those with economic power. And the smaller economies will suffer when they can't form blocs, or if the WTO stops existing, for example.

I find it ironical that all the institutions and ideas which came shortly after WW2, have become targets nowadays. We have forgotten why they're there. And we might end up in a place where we have to re-learn why we need them. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, StephenG said:

RE the poll in this thread. I can’t delete my choice like in other watmm polls. I put mine as conservative as a joke. Sorry

That's kinda appropriate though. The last referendum on Brexit was also based on a joke. 😜

• Haha 1

• Farnsworth 1