IGNORED

McDonalds Sparks Outrage over "Sundae Bloody Sundae" Campaign

Joyrex

How more fucking tone deaf could McDonald's be: https://www.derrydaily.net/2019/10/31/mcdonalds-in-portugal-sparks-outrage-with-social-media-bloody-sundae-campaign/

A McDonald’s advertising campaign in Portugal which features a wordplay on Bloody Sunday has caused outrage on social media.
The campaign by the fast-food giant advertises a new Halloween-themed dessert which is called “Sundae Bloody Sundae”.

Thirteen people were killed and 15 people were wounded after members of the Army’s Parachute Regiment opened fire on civil rights demonstrators in the Bogside on Sunday January 30, 1972.

A 14th person later died of their injuries.

Soldier F, a former member of the British Army’s notorious Parachute Regiment, has been accused of murder and attempted murder on one of the worst days of the Troubles.

His case will be back at Derry courthouse on Wednesday, December 4.

A picture of the advertisement circulated widely on social media has caused outrage.

Sundae-Bloody-Sundae-1.jpg

3 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

This cannot *possibly* be real.

You'd think...

It's just weird that in Portugal of all places, they did this - I guess McDonald's UK/Ireland wouldn't have made such an elementary mistake. Perhaps it's a language issue?

It'd have to be ... but it'd be an exceptionally stupid one. I mean: they would have to understand the meaning of the refrain but not of the rest of the song ...

Then again, marketing. I guess they really are that stupid.

that 9/11 one is fake tho

The article mentions a gruesome event from 40 years ago, but says nothing about what that event was called... i guess i'll do the math and assume the event was eventually labeled "Sunday Bloody Sunday"? which is how that event ties in to outrage over the advertisement i think...?

UK placement of this would be even more hairy since "bloody" is a curse word over there

14 minutes ago, colunga said:

that 9/11 one is fake tho

Yes, that's why I posted it - how close this apparently real poor taste advert is to a grossly tastless satirical one.

14 minutes ago, colunga said:

The article mentions a gruesome event from 40 years ago, but says nothing about what that event was called... i guess i'll do the math and assume the event was eventually labeled "Sunday Bloody Sunday"? which is how that event ties in to outrage over the advertisement i think...?

It's just referred to as Bloody Sunday

^ edgelord detected

back on topic:

there’s a Dutch store that sells some sort of spicy confectionary with the slogan “authentic East India Company spices”.

The Dutch East India Company, of course, is notorious for, among other things, extermination the population of an entire island to ensure no one but themselves would be able to grow and sell nutmeg.

:facepalm:

4 hours ago, BobDobalina said:

Guessing Some poor Portuguese ad exec probably just liked the U2 song and no idea what it was about

Haha yeah, I was just going to say - the Portugese must reeeeally hate U2.  Fair.

2 hours ago, rhmilo said:

^ edgelord detected

back on topic:

there’s a Dutch store that sells some sort of spicy confectionary with the slogan “authentic East India Company spices”.

The Dutch East India Company, of course, is notorious for, among other things, extermination the population of an entire island to ensure no one but themselves would be able to grow and sell nutmeg.

Man, and I thought people were fanatics over pumpkin spice

2 hours ago, rhmilo said:

^ edgelord detected

back on topic:

lol who cares we have sports teams called the redskins here

There are bunch of businesses in Finland that have "mafia" in their names and that seems to always amaze my Italian friend.

But I guess the Bloody Sundae is just based on the U2 song chorus and whoever came up with that name didn't really understand what the song was about.

^ Yeah, the "mafia" thing always makes me facepalm, too. I'm sure that would not go over well in Palermo.

Nonetheless, two weeks ago I was at an "Italian restaurant" (ie pizza place) run by Italian immigrants no less who had plastered all the walls of their place with pictures of Marlon Brando in the Godfather, Al Pacino in Scarface and stuff like that. Very surprising, would have thought Italians would no better than to go along in the glorification of thuggery.

^ Fun fact I learned from reading Trevor Noah's autobiography - this is the general sentiment of blacks in South Africa when it comes to anything about WWII.  Relatively speaking the effects of the war didn't reach that far south, so other than the fact that it happened they're barely taught anything about it.  Mostly viewed as white dudes having it out for control of Europe.

This comes up in a chapter about when he was a teen and formed a dance battle crew with his buddies (Trevor was on sound system).  Their best dancer and frontman was a dude named Hitler.  He'd start tearing it up on the stage/dancefloor, and it would invariably lead to the crowd chanting "Go Hitler! Go Hitler!"

are their other examples in other contemporary cultures where they tokenize native populations like that? are there sports teams in australia called "the aboriginals?" or brazil maybe? beyond the obvious disgusting racism it seems so uniquely american and therefore hilarious. because it's such a fuck you, esp. chief wahoo

"New Years' Dae" or "A Beautiful Dae" weren't as catchy as slogans, so they were like "fuck it breh, let's just do it and be legends."

Archived