IGNORED

untilted vinyl prices

exitonly

13 hours ago, psn said:

Probably much smaller editions post 2000 than in the 90s.

This.

Don’t know about Autechre specifically but in general post 2000 vinyl pressings are very, very small. Clone, for example, now does 200 copies max.

Back in the 1990s, anything less than 500 was considered a waste of money (because the costs for setting up a pressing outweighed the possible returns).

I too, btw, am annoyed at the high prices for Untilted. I would love to own a vinyl copy, but not for 85 euros.

Please repress.

i have 68 copies of UntilTed. 

regarding prices of vinyl pressing. i pressed up some stuff in 2000 and no one would do fewer than 500. then i pressed up some other stuff in 2006/2009 and everyone would do 200 w/o even twisting any arms. and there were deals to be had. still expensive and no one made any money on it or anything but it's quality pressing. 

i think the big runs are all the reissues of things getting rolled out non-stop for the last like 10 years or so. a lot of vinyl sales come from older stuff being reissued. also, specialized labels that just do the reissues.. and then there's other labels that do really high quality pressings w/killer artwork etc of movie sound tracks of horror movies and syfy stuff and B-movies..  there's a lot of that kind of thing out there. a lot of those runs are in the 500 range though. then maybe they get repressed at some point.. at least this is what i'm seeing around here. 

around 3 years ago or so i looked into getting a run of 200 pressed for a friend and touched base w/some people and the presses were all super busy. long lead times for getting things done. no idea what it's like now but seems there's lot's of vinyl being pressed..  jack white did open his own pressing plant and i think it's doing well based on some story i saw a while back. 

can I say <^> you and your 68 copies of Untilted without it being taken poorly?

JFC, man....

=P

thanks for the background info, I was a little curious about why vinyl has seemed to have a major resurgence in the last decade.... 

10 hours ago, Hk47 said:

can I say <^> you and your 68 copies of Untilted without it being taken poorly?

lol.  it's part of my retirement investment. my beanie babies, action figures, limited edition nike air jordans and my 68 copies of untilted on vinyl are the nut meat of my retirement plan.  i expect to cash them in for tens of dollars and or straight up even trade them for 46 boxes of 3 pack depends undergarments designed for active seniors. 

10 hours ago, ignatius said:

lol.  it's part of my retirement investment. my beanie babies, action figures, limited edition nike air jordans and my 68 copies of untilted on vinyl are the nut meat of my retirement plan.  i expect to cash them in for tens of dollars and or straight up even trade them for 46 boxes of 3 pack depends undergarments designed for active seniors. 

Wtf?! You’re being sirius! Waa

the issue is that this is the last autechre album that is available on vinyl that i dont own on vinyl. its also my least favorite autechre album, which is why i never bought it in the first place. but when one is so close to completing a collection (though i still need some eps), i might convince myself i like it. 

41 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

the issue is that this is the last autechre album that is available on vinyl that i dont own on vinyl. its also my least favorite autechre album, which is why i never bought it in the first place. but when one is so close to completing a collection (though i still need some eps), i might convince myself i like it. 

There are many here that would say Untilted is up there in the top 3 Autechre LP style releases. I personally am part of that subset of Autecharianistics 

On 11/11/2019 at 3:06 AM, ignatius said:

i have 68 copies of UntilTed. 

regarding prices of vinyl pressing. i pressed up some stuff in 2000 and no one would do fewer than 500. then i pressed up some other stuff in 2006/2009 and everyone would do 200 w/o even twisting any arms. and there were deals to be had. still expensive and no one made any money on it or anything but it's quality pressing. 

i think the big runs are all the reissues of things getting rolled out non-stop for the last like 10 years or so. a lot of vinyl sales come from older stuff being reissued. also, specialized labels that just do the reissues.. and then there's other labels that do really high quality pressings w/killer artwork etc of movie sound tracks of horror movies and syfy stuff and B-movies..  there's a lot of that kind of thing out there. a lot of those runs are in the 500 range though. then maybe they get repressed at some point.. at least this is what i'm seeing around here. 

around 3 years ago or so i looked into getting a run of 200 pressed for a friend and touched base w/some people and the presses were all super busy. long lead times for getting things done. no idea what it's like now but seems there's lot's of vinyl being pressed..  jack white did open his own pressing plant and i think it's doing well based on some story i saw a while back. 

How large are the runs they keep doing of Hi Scores?

Archived