IGNORED

Behringer 303 anyone?

TheBro

55 minutes ago, chim said:

Sure... why is that important for you to communicate? It's a shitty ad with someone who pronounces artist names like fuccboi slim, like carglass repair for the bedroom DJ. Who cares? Why should behringer pour hundreds of thousands into aphex endorsements and James stinson holograms? They're selling a dumb acid product that everybody who cares about already knows.

Yeah, I regret putting it the way I did now, so I've gone ahead and deleted my post.
I don't care who endorses any products, because the products should speak for themselves and I'm 100% sure this is a wonderful 303 clone. The video just seemed a bit awkward, and the way I said that was idiotic.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Squee said:

Yeah, I regret putting it the way I did now, so I've gone ahead and deleted my post.
I don't care who endorses any products, because the products should speak for themselves and I'm 100% sure this is a wonderful 303 clone. The video just seemed a bit awkward, and the way I said that was idiotic.

I will honor that and delete mine as well ?? I didn't mean to come across as disproportionately judgmental... Anyway, zero disclosure! I sure feel [REDACTED] about [REDACTED]

If they actually replicated the 303 workflow this is worth grabbing just for that.  I'm probably in the minority but IMO the sequencer is actually the best thing about the 303.

I've got a x0xb0x made with NOS ICs and transistors (Built it back in 2012 when the old parts were still obtainable, I'd say it sounds somewhere between the real 303 and the Din Sync 303 in this video) running n0nx0x so I'm pretty good on 303 sounds but I'd seriously consider getting one of these for the sequencer.

I agree that in the loopop video the Behringer doesn't really do a very convincing 303 sound, honestly it sounds like a completely different filter type altogether, more like the 12db filter in the original Basstation than like a 303 filter, but it could still be useful as its own thing, and THAT SEQUENCER.

12 hours ago, chim said:

No individual 303 sounds like a 303. There's a slight filter difference that can easily be compensated?

Obviously, but according to the video the original and the two others sound roughly alike and the Behringer sounds quite a bit different.

5 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

If they actually replicated the 303 workflow this is worth grabbing just for that.  I'm probably in the minority but IMO the sequencer is actually the best thing about the 303.

I've got a x0xb0x made with NOS ICs and transistors (Built it back in 2012 when the old parts were still obtainable, I'd say it sounds somewhere between the real 303 and the Din Sync 303 in this video) running n0nx0x so I'm pretty good on 303 sounds but I'd seriously consider getting one of these for the sequencer.

I agree that in the loopop video the Behringer doesn't really do a very convincing 303 sound, honestly it sounds like a completely different filter type altogether, more like the 12db filter in the original Basstation than like a 303 filter, but it could still be useful as its own thing, and THAT SEQUENCER.

Nah sequencer rocks on the original. It's shit for certain things but rocks at others. That combined with batteries was awesome. As a kid used to take mine around mates houses and just jam out patterns on my headphones while they played playstation and we all had a smoke. 

9 hours ago, chim said:

I will honor that and delete mine as well ?? I didn't mean to come across as disproportionately judgmental... Anyway, zero disclosure! I sure feel [REDACTED] about [REDACTED]

Don’t worry about it ? 

That promo video is the most digustingly cringeworthy thing I've seen in forever, no need to be so apologetic squee.

Not the other one, this one

Yeah, TBH that one kind of plays like a piss take on 303 worship but it's probably just really out of touch even compared to someone like me (and that's saying something).

Either way, a good-enough 303 clone at $150 is going to sell no matter how they promote it.

4 hours ago, ReVoodle said:

That video did a better job selling me on the RE-303 than the behringer. Shit's only $250 as well. Guess I gotta learn how to solder. 

Yup, same here. Unfortunately the RE-303 requires soldering at a fairly advanced level, more “you should know what your are doing” than “follow the instructions to stick these components together”, so I’m going to have to pass, but it sounded very convincing indeed.

I don't know, the RE-303 looks a lot easier than the x0xb0x was and that was the first thing more complicated than a fuzz face I ever built.  I still to this day don't understand electronics a bit, I just figured it out from forum threads and stuff.

So I'd say it's doable without prior experience if you're mechanichally inclined.

Just now, user said:

I'll probably be getting this. I mean come ooonnn. Although I agree with those that said the RE-303 wins the shootout.

Yeah, I hadn't really looked at the RE-303 seriosuly because A) I figured it was just a reworked x0xb0x with different firmware and B) I hadn't actualyl ever calculated the price in USD so I thought it was a bit more expensive.

Seeing that it actually replicates the original power supply makes me interested, maybe next year when I have the time and money I'll take a stab at one - I definitely noticed a bit

1 hour ago, oscillik said:

Yay for previews where the audio frequencies are cut off around 10kHz

Yeah, it's impossible to hear what it sounds like without those high high frequencies.

I'll probably buy a handful of them and turn them into impractical lunch boxes.

Archived