IGNORED

Andy Stott - It Should Be Us

donquixote

i stopped at faith in strangers. baritone warm ups no thanks. 

i was also annoyed by luxury problems penetration into the "real world" --  people would play it at parties who had no business playing anything else in the genre. and just cluelessly repping it when it was, in my estimation at the time and now, well below we stay together and passed me by.

this seems like a return to form. which makes sense, spend half a decade making "slow" "brooding" "ambient soundscapes" that end up too clever by half and your fanbase loses hope. then "drop" some dark bangers and.. guess what baby, you're back.

Yeah this is awesome and also see it as a return to form.. i did enjoy his recent stuff but didn't quite have the same magic as what came before, feels like its back here  

Pressed at 45rpm for some reason, and only room for 8 of the 9 tracks.

Don't think I've seen it mentioned in the thread, but the last sentence gives some nice info:

There’ll be a new Andy Stott album in 2020, but in the meantime... this one’s for dancing.

10 hours ago, Jamesqdot said:

I know right? Just call it a damn album. It’s eight tracks. How is this not an album but a diminutive travesty like Demdike Stare’s “Passion” is?

To be fair, I think 'Passion' was also promoted as a double EP as well whatever the fuck that means. Whatever happened to mini-albums?

This is fantastic. Multiple contenders on here for the shortlist of Tracks of the Year. Dark basement dank sex jams.

Also, to hell with the dissenters, “Too Many Voices” is a beautiful record. I like it as much as some of the older albums. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jamesqdot said:

I know right? Just call it a damn album. It’s eight tracks. How is this not an album but a diminutive travesty like Demdike Stare’s “Passion” is?

I think Stott's been quite particular about the composition of the albums over the years. Wasn't there an interview where he said that he creates a load of tracks specifically for club situations where he could play one of two tracks depending on the mood of the crowd. I think this is just a compilation of those tracks and not meant to be a body of cohesive works like any of the albums.

That is how I would interpret it anyway.

22 hours ago, chassis said:

I think Stott's been quite particular about the composition of the albums over the years. Wasn't there an interview where he said that he creates a load of tracks specifically for club situations where he could play one of two tracks depending on the mood of the crowd. I think this is just a compilation of those tracks and not meant to be a body of cohesive works like any of the albums.

That is how I would interpret it anyway.

Oh really? Fair enough then. To be honest, this sounds pretty cohesive to me (more so than Faith in Strangers, for example) and I always think of Passed Me By and We Stay Together as albums, especially after the expanded CD editions.

On 11/10/2019 at 5:57 AM, Key said:

To be fair, I think 'Passion' was also promoted as a double EP as well whatever the fuck that means. Whatever happened to mini-albums?

Oh yes, you're right. They called it a "doublepack" at the time. I'll just shut my cakehole then.

Great EP this, though. His best stuff in quite a while. We're spoilt having this and a new album in the new year.

His boiler room set is ? too.  That thing he unleashes during Bad Wires is dangerous son!

Only listened to Zebrajams a few times and it's pretty good alright, gonna let it simmer on the front burner for a while.  I'm a bit cynical so pardon if I don't buy the pitch that this is some sort of return to the form of his much exalted diptych; the sound's never left IMO, just tweaked to accommodate whatever broadening of the palette he's been up to (vocals, ambient, R&B, etc.) on the past couple of albums.  Yeah faith in strangers is probably the least of the lot (#bassoontruth) but I've always found revisiting these albums to be a worthwhile experience.

23 hours ago, sheatheman said:

Lopez how can you dis track 1 of strangers????

love that one. It’s not a baritone warming up, that was bad reporting. 

it most certainly was a baritone warming up. https://www.tinymixtapes.com/features/andy-stott

On 11/8/2019 at 5:18 PM, dr lopez said:

i stopped at faith in strangers. baritone warm ups no thanks. 

i was also annoyed by luxury problems penetration into the "real world" --  people would play it at parties who had no business playing anything else in the genre. and just cluelessly repping it when it was, in my estimation at the time and now, well below we stay together and passed me by.

this seems like a return to form. which makes sense, spend half a decade making "slow" "brooding" "ambient soundscapes" that end up too clever by half and your fanbase loses hope. then "drop" some dark bangers and.. guess what baby, you're back.

give faith in strangers and too many voices a shot, theyre both a huge step up from luxury problems imo, they have more rough and interesting trax.  Luxury probs suffered from being too neat and lacking personality, which comes in spades in the two following albums.  blast How it Was, Selfish, On My Mind.. all might fit your definition of dark bangers

3 minutes ago, markedone said:

i cant hear anything other than 'Dont be fat Dont be fat Dont be fat' in the vocal sample of Ballroom.. ? kinda wrecks what would otherwise be a sick track

It's good advice though, from a health standpoint.