IGNORED

Aphex spotted playing ambient live

Lachesi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Taupe Beats said:
7 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

anything other than what he's been doing for the last decade would be interesting 

This is fucking stupid.

I personally find everything since syro very uninteresting musically, but would probably be interested if rich were to explore with any other sonic palette.. that's just my opinion.

1 hour ago, MIXL2 said:

I personally find everything since syro very uninteresting musically, but would probably be interested if rich were to explore with any other sonic palette.. that's just my opinion.

Your initial post comes off like a tossed off dismissal of a decade's worth of work. A) That goes way past Syro, and b) He's explored several difference "sonic palettes" on Syro and since. 

I stand by my initial statement, that post was fucking stupid. Had you worded it more subjectively or with a bit more detail, my response wouldn't have been warranted. As the way it was phrased as a wholesale objective dismissal...nope ain't goin'.

53 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:
2 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

Your initial post comes off like a tossed off dismissal of a decade's worth of work. A) That goes way past Syro, and b) He's explored several difference "sonic palettes" on Syro and since. 

I stand by my initial statement, that post was fucking stupid. Had you worded it more subjectively or with a bit more detail, my response wouldn't have been warranted. As the way it was phrased as a wholesale objective dismissal...nope ain't goin'.

Maybe it's because I have had this discussion a couple of times so I just assume that people understand that I mean "uninteresting to me but not objectively bad", I mean interest is subjective per se but I can see how you can read it implied that there is something objectively bad bout the music, I'll edit it to clarify.

On the "sonic palettes" thing.. I kinda mean genre I guess, maybe my ears are fucked but everything he's done since and including syro sounds the same to me (except obv ccai and a couple of the field day tracks).. similar bpm, song structure, sound, feel etc. And I just find that particular aphex sound to be very boring. 

This is all imo ofc, I mean the music is still very well produced, lush, etc just not my cup of tea.

edit: Also it's technically five years of work since he didn't release anything new between tuss (2007) and syro (2014)... that was hyperbole on my part.

31 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

Maybe it's because I have had this discussion a couple of times so I just assume that people understand that I mean "uninteresting to me but not objectively bad", I mean interest is subjective per se but I can see how you can read it implied that there is something objectively bad bout the music, I'll edit it to clarify.

On the "sonic palettes" thing.. I kinda mean genre I guess, maybe my ears are fucked but everything he's done since and including syro sounds the same to me (except obv ccai and a couple of the field day tracks).. similar bpm, song structure, sound, feel etc. And I just find that particular aphex sound to be very boring. 

This is all imo ofc, I mean the music is still very well produced, lush, etc just not my cup of tea.

edit: Also it's technically five years of work since he didn't release anything new between tuss (2007) and syro (2014)... that was hyperbole on my part.

Fair enough. I always chafe at hyperbolic dismissals like that as they are non-starters that can kill a perfectly good dialogue. Appreciate your clarification.

2 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

couldn't care less what sonic palette he uses as long as the rhythm-melody-harmony is interesting and yeah, most of his recent output isn't very interesting aside from the occasional banger or timeless gem imo. i guess these days he's less interested in making grandiose musical statements like he used to be until tuss, probably because he reached his limit composition-wise . he'll never top tuss, he won't try to, it's all downhill from here. we're left alone, deprived of our god. music is dead. last post

......so anyways how does anyone find out about these events? So love to be on the secret aphex mailing list, would drop everything and take the family to Falmouth for the weekend in heartbeat for this.

57 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

i guess these days he's less interested in making grandiose musical statements like he used to

i mean like, i much prefer melodies from mars to everything since 2014.. is not about it being grandiose, just different? more relaxed maybe? idk

im actually really curious if he does some ambient stuff.. would be very fresh to hear what he does nowadays when not bound to the dad funk

what i really wanna hear tho:

the return of dustbin-core

edit: i just wanna make very clear that whatever phex does is fine not demanding anything etc etc

MIXL2 is a good guy. Yep dismissing a decade of Aphex output seems a little silly but who cares? I'm not huge on Aphex official releases either, but seeing him live a few times and the Collapse EP settles any jingle-jangle nerves post Syro.

8 hours ago, bandenoire said:

Reminds me of the stuff Venetian Snares does with Joanne Pollack

But there is V.Snares also singing and that is what he does now alot and this is the point his music turns to shit. 

I hope RDJ is smarter than that and let this be a one time only preformance. 

Also.... Thinking about it. Early vocal aphex like xtal and the St Etienne remix I've always loved. Feel hockey Smith has a bit of that vibe about her, plus she's Cornish. It's nice he's putting stuff into the Cornish scene. Bit like a big hairy ginger Mike Banks. Wish we had a Richie P Jams in Wales. 

Not gonna have the post syro chat. "Arguing on the internet be a bit like ......" zzzzz

On 11/11/2019 at 8:27 PM, donquixote said:

......so anyways how does anyone find out about these events? So love to be on the secret aphex mailing list, would drop everything and take the family to Falmouth for the weekend in heartbeat for this.

have mates who are from cornwall

On 11/12/2019 at 7:31 AM, donquixote said:

I like hockey Smith and get why he's working with her. Be nice to see some remixes or something imo. 

hockeysmith is 2 ppl btw

Well, according to Discogs, one of two sisters left the band, but there's still a Martin "Penis" Pease involved ...

Edit: Lest anyone gets confused: He's not really called "Penis", that was just me silly. Pretty close though, and I'm sure he's got one. I just know it.

Archived