IGNORED

90's AMBIENT with unusual time signatures by IDM/Electronic artists

droid

Hey all. Bit of a niche topic perhaps, even for here, but Ive been sliding down some rabbit holes and was wondering if anyone might have unearthed anything else from this mini-genre. Obviously there's a shit ton of tunes from this era with odd time signatures, but what about tunes which are ambient or (mostly) beatless? Stuff like

AE - Yulquen 5/8 time (20 beats per loop) 

Pete Namlook - 1st Impression - 6/8 time - perhaps my favourite Namlook.

AE - Piob (mix 2) 6/8 time

SBVL - Pedals . Not sure what's going on with this one, there's 18 beats to the phrase, and if you start counting at the start of the loop it it seems to go 4/4, 5/4, 4/4, 5/4.

Any more?

That second ae bit is really good, felt more like 4/4 to me though.

This track came to mind. I'm usually way past counting measures but I'm fairly certain it's not just a waltz, feels like 6/5? 

This felt kinda tricky with the tape loop 

11 hours ago, chim said:

That second ae bit is really good, felt more like 4/4 to me though.

This track came to mind. I'm usually way past counting measures but I'm fairly certain it's not just a waltz, feels like 6/5? 

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. Hard to say exactly what's going on there. Each loop has 15 beats, but 5 bars of 3 doesn't seem quite right, nor does 3 of 5.

The system 7 is tricky. The main orchestral tape loop is a two bar phrase, that seems to define the general structure of the tune but the arpeggio thing is all over the place.

Archived