IGNORED

Be Up A Hello [2020]

Consul

16 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

What is even the point of making that distinction if functionally they sound exactly the same?

they don't though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, caze said:
17 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

What is even the point of making that distinction if functionally they sound exactly the same?

they don't though.

I agree on the music.. or are we talking specifically about the mastering and compression of the thing? 

discussions about mastering and compression don't interest me in the slightest, it's boring minutiae that has very little impact on anything afaic. the new album sounds very different from the previous albums in terms of melody, harmony and tone, there's a good bit of similarity to Damogen in terms of compositional structure though (which is a good thing for me as I loved that album, especially that aspect of it).

• Like 4

12 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

I agree on the music.. or are we talking specifically about the mastering and compression of the thing? 

Both the music and the mastering, loads of tracks are basically interchangeable with damogen furies imo. Nervelevers could easily swap with kwang bass etc.

Dunno why he/warp has to pretend he rewrote the rulebook every time he releases an album.

• Like 1

Mixing/mastering I agree with but the arrangement etc on this is way diff than Damaged furries. In every sense of the word/s I feel like this is a far better album. Drum work, spazzy acid lines etc is reminiscent of his older stuff for sure. 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Amen Warrior said:

Both the music and the mastering, loads of tracks are basically interchangeable with damogen furies imo. Nervelevers could easily swap with kwang bass etc.

hmm I'm gonna need to to relisten to damogen furies.. didn't feel the interchangeability at all on first listen esp w the beatless tracks on this. but u might be right that the other tracks have a similar feel

1 hour ago, Amen Warrior said:

Dunno why he/warp has to pretend he rewrote the rulebook every time he releases an album.

The first two tracks don't sound like it, speedcrank sounds like some 90s shit. Nervelevers sounds most like the damogen or whatever but I almost feel like he sampled one of his tracks from 5-8 years ago and remixed it with the 54 cymru beats break. Vortrack also sounds a bit like ufabulum or damogen style, but even that one ends up pretty awesome. Terminal Slam and Mekrev have a similar vibe synth wise to some of his more recent albums, but they sound, far, far more evolved from his last couple albums, a lot different IMO. Terminal slam and mekrev are also my favorite tracks, along with speedcrank. I think he uses certain synths /patches a lot ( a lot of these synths sound like that modern bass guitar track). mastering-wise I think this sounds way less flat than the past couple albums, breath of fresh air, better sounding IMO.

On 1/18/2020 at 11:57 PM, Hugh Mughnus said:

As much as I'm enjoying this alboom - I'm gradually finding some criticisms. Of course. lol.

Is it just me or is it compressed AF?.... Just do a side by side comparison between a track or two from the album, alongside something ubiquitous; play it beside something like Syro, or Bon Jovi for all I care. 

There is something seriously off with the mixing/mastering on this. Disclaimer - I'm saying this as a massive SP fan, Phudo level fanboy even.

This sounds better mastered than Syro, Ufabulum, and Damogen to me. I really don't like the syro mastering. The distortion profile actually sounds phat and warm on this one, his last two albums were harsh and flat and awful sounding IMO. This one breaths, you can hear drum transients and all the layers of sound much better. Both on speakers and headphones it sounds great (to me). I tried putting on some other music (venetian snares chocolate wheelchair album) and got bored and wished I was listening to squarepusher album because it sounds so good. I think even like it more than hard normal daddy mastering or go plastic mastering (which is really harsh and odd IMO, the high end is real freaky, but still excellent). Maybe tied with venus 17 or ultravisitor (super dynamic but I like it a ton). I'm not an expert on mastering though so, purely subjective opinion here.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, very honest said:

does nts mix have non album tracks?

All of them are non album tracks

The only track that has been published from the mix is Vortrack Fracture remix

Edited by thumbass

Someone just asked me for music recommendations and I said BUAH...

Crossed my mind that its really only idm nerds that would appreciate the album given knowledge of his career and the whole idm context / mythology

7 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

Hmm, that is a bit of a damning review though isn't it? 

Maybe yea.... I mean look at those 303 lines, you know he probably played some of this via midi bass, those breaks are tight, nice choppage, don't you know hes a real musician musician and not some youtube ableton tutorial edm guy, crazy that he used his old 90s gear for this one etc etc nobody but watmm cares

^good tunes being put out is really all that matters. the gear/story/whatever is contextually interesting sometimes (not really in this case as far as i'm concerned, wow, rich white guy breaks his wrist while out skiing or some shit, bfd. some old friend of his from 30 years ago dies? k.) but i wanna hear the good tunes and really that's it

speaking of i think i'm the only one who hasn't heard the leak yet. another week or so tho :)