IGNORED

Be Up A Hello [2020]

Consul

Pitchfork is not wrong.

Doesn't matter to me, though. Continuously innovating is impossible anyway. If this is what Squarepusher is going to sound like from now on, I'm happy.

Except for that first track. That's horrid.

yeah, there's no cheese on the two openers, they're the best tracks in fact. 2nd one in particular, wouldn't sound out of place on Big Loada. they don't have the same cheesy melodies as ufabulum at all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pizza said:

actually can't believe/understand the Oberlove hate. track's fuckin lovely!

I have no doubt it's a grower. Third spin through and the whole album sounds much sweeter. Nice mix of different styles.

Hmmm very cool.

Edited by beer badger

i like the couple beatless ambient synth tracks. 

neverlevers is the big win on this for me. 

i agree about the vortrack alternate mix is better than the album version. 

at first listen the first 2 tracks did ride the fine line of enjoyable juicy sweet cheese for me. they definitely fall into the noodling melody synth jazz guy but i enjoyed them even if they do have an OCD super mario type music theory structure. listening to them again this morning i like them a lot more and they're a nice counterpoint to the rest of the album and i'd really miss them if they weren't there. the 2nd half of the 1st track is really quite lush. so, yeah, i'm all in on the first two tracks. they're excellent happy fun imo. 

i like this album a lot more than the last 2 which i didn't buy except for a track or two on Ufabulum.. so i'm stoked to have something new to dump into the mega squarepusher playlist that currently ends at hello everything.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, pizza said:

actually can't believe/understand the Oberlove hate. track's fuckin lovely!

This. This time we got a real album opener and not just an EDM take on a Cure song :emotawesomepm9: Baltang Ort beats Hitsonu though, but whatever (vinyl owners of DF must feel so lost with this post)

Re: Pitchfork "as thrilling as those vintage Squarepusher records were (and still are), it wasn't necessary that Jenkinson make another one"...pfff, eat my ass, it was.

• Like 2

Have any artists ever  been consistently great for much more than a decade? 

Certainly nobody has managed 2 decades.

(Apart from rdj obvs)

It's to be expected that even your highest regarded artists  (sqp) will fall off (or at least become less compatible with your tastes/expectations) 

Imagine how bad jimi hendrix would've been if he'd made it into the 80s

Have any artists ever  been consistently great for much more than a decade? 
Certainly nobody has managed 2 decades.
(Apart from rdj obvs)
It's to be expected that even your highest regarded artists  (sqp) will fall off (or at least become less compatible with your tastes/expectations) 
Imagine how bad jimi hendrix would've been if he'd made it into the 80s

Autechre obviously.

Vinyl just arrived. LP has several full size full color glossy inserts that are dope. I got the vortrack single too which feels like a heavier slab than the LP. The design etc is dope. Headed to work soon so will have to enjoy the vinyl later.

Gonna play via iPod all day at work though.

edcf80aff561b793726d35f86bf04c91.jpg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Uros said:

This. This time we got a real album opener and not just an EDM take on a Cure song :emotawesomepm9: Baltang Ort beats Hitsonu though, but whatever (vinyl owners of DF must feel so lost with this post)

This sounds like an EDM makeover of “Do you really want to hurt me”, though.

Don’t like it as much as the Cure cover (which was lovely).

Re: Pitchfork "as thrilling as those vintage Squarepusher records were (and still are), it wasn't necessary that Jenkinson make another one"...pfff, eat my ass, it was.

Yup. I could listen to those things all day.

Holy shit Mekrev Bass is the Vortrack remix I never knew I needed lol.

Album is a killer. I'll probably loose some of my hearing listening to it LOUD with headphones haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uros said:

Re: Pitchfork "as thrilling as those vintage Squarepusher records were (and still are), it wasn't necessary that Jenkinson make another one"...pfff, eat my ass, it was.

• Haha 1