IGNORED

Be Up A Hello [2020]

Consul

SP ripped it up nicely in Berlin last night. Basically a DJ set with couple of great unreleased tracks (half time opener was massive!), a few tracks from the new album and the NTS mix, some brilliant breakbeat madness and a few stretches of manic 4/4 workouts for the Berghain floor.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Like the last two albums, I think this one is intended to be listened to two ways - original tracklisting 1st track to last, and vice-versa. 

Those two tracks as closers are more pleasant IMO than openers. Rest of the album works well in reverse as well. 

Works quite well with a big system. Enjoyed it far less on headphones tbh.

Sounded really good on my expensive headphones! But I'm sure not as good as your big system! 

I loved Damogen Furies. But this is a completely different beast! Loving it!! The to opening tracks have grown on me, but I still feel that they don't belong here. Maybe with a couple of similar tracks on a EP. 

I’m not going to read all 28 pages of this Tom Jenkinson fanclub blabber ? but have we discussed yet how Terminal Slam is an absolutely phenomenal track and one of the best things he’s done so far?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mcbpete said:

Just had my first full listen - Damn was so looking forward to it an' all. The only tracks I really took to were Detroit People Mover and (less so and a weird way to end the album) 80 Ondula

The mixing for everything else is just so damn crowded with no sense of space, the kick drum seems to dominate everything and the rest of the drum kit sounds like it's stuck in a plastic box - in pretty much every single track.

Has Tom's hearing properly gone (or whoever mixed and mastered this?) 'cos this is a mushy mess !

I’m not sure why you didn’t get more agreement here about the mixing / mastering thing - any musician I know who listens to this kind of music has been extremely confused by Tom’s mixing and mastering from ‘Hello Everything’ onwards. And I’ve often heard ‘Go Plastic’ described as a really great sounding record and worth referencing against by the same people. It’s like they don’t know what happened to him.

For what it’s worth, that’s how I’ve heard things (even though ‘Hello Everything’ was pretty great and got away with it.) The next few, especially Ufabulum and Shobaleader One, apart from the sounds themselves being pretty naff, seem to have an “overall sound” that’s just fatiguing, limp, harsh and somehow weak all at the same time when played against pretty much any other record I own, even if I don’t particularly like those records. So it’s not just the music - it seems to be the mixing and mastering. Because I know that if shobaleader one sounded really warm and heavy (like some hip hop or soul I own) I would have actually enjoyed the melodies and vocoder workouts. I don’t mind music like that sometimes and get Tom wants to have fun. Even Ufabulum, though I find some of it too EDM, could have been kind of killer in places if they overall “sound” wasn’t so fizzy and weirdly unsatisfying.

Edited by Lianne

12 minutes ago, Lianne said:

any musician I know who listens to this kind of music has been extremely confused by Tom’s mixing and mastering from ‘Hello Everything’ onwards.

not confusing in the slightest...tell them to get better speakers, phones or ears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

This is 5/7 breddy good. I am somewhat sad that I'm not as in to clever, balls-to-the-wall programming as I was 20 years ago but you can't deny that he's killing it on this record.

It's an advertisement to come rave with him, which is the real treat to be had. I get tickled by how baroque this is in parts; like Beethoven locked inside a Galaga upright or something on "Hitsonu" hahaha. 

• Like 2

Speedcrank, Terminal Slam... nah. The kind of overcrowded stuff I did not want. And... did he forget to sell the mid frequencies?

Will move on listening, but oh - I guess some fresh wind is missing. As of now what I hear is Hello Everything/Damogen style noodling.

Edited by Guest

So does he always use that kinda Acid House lowpass-filtered square wave with lots of LP res, then filter out all mid frequencies? WAT IS GONKI ON TJ. Still living in the LED mask era? Other "instruments" pls. Guys.

<- Avatar related

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, psn said:

SP ripped it up nicely in Berlin last night. Basically a DJ set with couple of great unreleased tracks (half time opener was massive!), a few tracks from the new album and the NTS mix, some brilliant breakbeat madness and a few stretches of manic 4/4 workouts for the Berghain floor.

Nice, looking forward to this eve in London, hoping the set's a decent length!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nickthefish said:

not confusing in the slightest...tell them to get better speakers, phones or ears.

The counter argument being that maybe those musicians in question have better speakers, headphones and/or ears for mixing

Can't do the second track (at this moment in time)

The killing zone transition between Oberlove and Nervelevers is very pleasing to the IDM epicentre of my brain

??

Edited by beer badger

Hey Pitchfork WankCuntstainFuckfaceSplatteredSquirrelSkull Music Critic

We're all down here, right now. Come on down you fucking cunt. The price is right. On the village green. Watmm in full effect. Clandestine in hooded cloaks. 

NO! the grand prize isn't a fucking holiday in some fucking hipster paradise enclave where you will feel safe surrounded by all your ponce mates all licking each others arse crack. 

NO! the grand prize isn't a fucking ponce adventure experience where you can all bumfuck each other in the great outdoors

NO! the grand prize isn't a fucking big gangbang in the back shed of your favorite Craft Ale Brewery

The grand prize is me ripping your cock off and nailing to your fucking forehead

The last thing you will remember before I smash the hardened steel spike through your cranium is?

SQUAREPUSHER RULES!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by beer badger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I swear I've heard that melody in Oberlove somewhere before. It kicks in at 1:31 and repeats again at 1:53, 3:01, and 3:24. The whole song seems to revolve around that bit. I wanted to hold off posting this observation in hopes that I could figure it out myself but nothing comes to mind.

I know that the opening track from Damogen Furies "Stor Eiglass" is similar to The Cure - Just Like Heaven. I'm wondering if he decided to do the same w/ this opener.

I also hear the drums from 54 Cymru Beats in Nervelevers.

8 minutes ago, job said:

I swear I've heard that melody in Oberlove somewhere before. It kicks in at 1:31 and repeats again at 1:53, 3:01, and 3:24. The whole song seems to revolve around that bit. I wanted to hold off posting this observation in hopes that I could figure it out myself but nothing comes to mind.

This is where my mind first went:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wurstwasser said:

WHY DOES SPOTIFY CONSTANTLY FAIL TO INFORM ME ON NEW RELEASES OF MY HEROES? Received the information by Bleep mail. 

Will listen later, skipped through it and heard ufab/damogen vibes (bad), but I hope he surprises me.

BECAUSE SPOTIFY IS GARBAGE

• Like 5

Oh sweet Jesus as I skip through the fruit trees and twist and turn through the ballsack tingling delight of fields of fancy flowers I wonder what Messiah Melon Head will think of this album? 

What will the Mischievous Dedicated Record Reviewing Butterfly give it?

I'm thinking a light 6.

Get on the village green you cunt.

And prepare to pay with your cock nailed to your Mekon sized skull!!

Alright that's enough drunken posts from me.

Goodnight. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, beer badger said:

Spotify is fucking great. Or maybe I need a brain transplant?

Probably the latter.

it's a good service for listeners but they don't pay anyone. the artists are basically subsidizing spotify's existence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2020 at 6:41 PM, perunamuussi said:

After ufab and damogen, I have learnt to set  my expectations at a very low level.

Yet I am still braced for disappointment.

Holy shit. Oberlove is beautiful. Best sqp since just a souvenir. 

• Like 4