IGNORED

Be Up A Hello [2020]

Consul

1 hour ago, KingBo0 said:

I just listened to it the other day while on the bus. Very very good album. I like it alot. Been getting really into squarepusher recently, and I guess i picked the perfect time to! 

Same here! 

Anyone else notice Speedcrank has elements that sound very similar to Circlont14 (shrymoming mix)  (at 0:23 and 3:28) and also Cock/ver10 (At 2:13 and then throughout)? 
Definitely heard the circlont14 (shrymoming mix) elements there with in the halftime part while the synth has that wild, dynamic staccato cadence. Love it. That is my favorite on the album.

The album grew on me fast. Perfect driving music. At first I wasnt too impressed with the singles, but I needed time to appreciate the details and intensities. SP is a musical visonary, and this album is perfect 2020 music.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Speedcrank is some crazy shit!

Madlad hyperactive nerd drill future jazz

I really liked the interludes.

Big fan of Ondula 80.Superb atmosphere.Im kinda always waiting for a fkin massive break to come up at anytime while listening to it tho hahaha

Cool album with many banging trx.

Not my favorite album by Tom (Ultravisitor still holding strong) but i think this enters my top 5 Squarepusher albums.

The sound of Ufabulum and Damogen Furies finally reaching maturity.Feels like the final installation of a trilogy.

Mixing and mastering wise it also feels to me more polished and warm than the two previous albums.

Edited by fxbip
  • Like 3

hey watmm, 好久不见。

been listening to the vinyl since i got it yesterday. i really am enjoying it more and more as i go. first listen was positive overall, some of the tracks were just so wild i couldnt quite crasp them on the first or even third listen. sounds great both blasted on a system and on my hd 600s. havent listened to the remix of the single, didnt realise i had it until last night lol. first side is overall playful and fun. i agree with whoever it was who said that second track sounds like it belongs on big loada. side two is dark and chaotic, love it. 

few other things i noted, detroit people mover is beautiful and unexpected and i get a lot of vangelis ala blade runner vibes on that one. makes me picture the dpm going around as if detroit was a futuristic world like said film. final track is very haunting alian horror sci fi invasion vibes. was also pleasantly surprised and almost confused at first as the closer. reminds me of the final track on UR Interstellar Fugitives cd "UR on Mir" which is a favourite of mine.

tldr; enjoyed a lot at first, gets better with repeated listens and you're able to dig into it more. a grower for me, and keeps me wanting to listen again. 

well done tom. cheers!

edit: youtube had the wrong track listing, thats the track but wrong title.

Edited by donotseemecricket
  • Like 2

Quite underwhelmed by this (just like with every new SP record post-Ultravisitor, unfortunately). Now I'll just wait for Tom to release his archives (yeah I know, will never happen).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, thumbass said:

Same here...

I got it today

?

I'm listening to it on my phone since saturday, and I'm really happy with it. The melodic style reminds me a bit on the Daydreams-stuff (rich and very structured). It's a very accessible record for sure, I just find it a bit short. Could be twice that long...

Edited by Chabraendeky

I like it. Good tunes. Less harsh on the ears than the previous couple of albums. Feels good man.

Thank.

• Like 2

So been digesting this all week.... love it... its made for dancing or driving and getting into that pusher zone - lots of details

I can;t wait to rage hard at BF2020 to his finale set on the Sunday - holy shit he's gonna tear it up if he throws in loads of older shit too,  a-la Glasto

Love that I have the NTS mix with the d/l redeem with my vinyl.. quality stuff around!

• Like 2

• Consul changed the title to Be Up A Hello [2020]
34 minutes ago, Richie Sombrero said:

Awful, factually incorrect review. This album sounds sonically like last two. Also calls Ultravisitor a rare misstep lolll. 

https://thequietus.com/articles/27744-squarepusher-be-up-a-hello

This album is ending up being more divisive than I thought. Also, while I personally love Ultravisitor, I do recognize that's it's probably his more difficult album to get into. One of my friends was recently going through his discography for the first time, and surprisingly said he really enjoyed Ufabulum and Damogen, but was incredibly bored by Ultravisitor. 

21 hours ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

Yeah overall this is a pretty good record, but in all honestly the NTS Mix is more of my kinda shit. That thing still bangs hard. 

Totally agree, Don’t suppose you have a download for it? Missed the boat on the preorders and doesn’t look like it’s available anywhere.

• Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, Freak of the week said:

why not 1 bit? after all, you only need two values to represent a SQUARE wave :smile:

True Dat. Tim Follin was the master of that back in the day:

• Like 3

Awful, factually incorrect review. This album sounds sonically like last two. Also calls Ultravisitor a rare misstep lolll. 

https://thequietus.com/articles/27744-squarepusher-be-up-a-hello
Yeah no idea where he's hearing hard normal daddy in there.

After a few listens, I think I'll have to file this one as another Pusher LP that just isn't for me. Some good tracks in there but some that I find strangely unpleasant to listen to.

Had a weird 'moment of clarity' a couple of albums back. Trying to 'get' unreal square, focusing intently, probably stroking my chin, desperately trying to find anything likeable about it whatsoever. Then just realising 'wait, this song sucks lol' . I've had a pretty low tolerance for his later stuff ever since I guess.

9 hours ago, KingBo0 said:

I have not! Not well versed in his music yet, only listened to a handful of albums and 1 ep. If you have any reccs for more of his music I'd love to hear it. 

Go Plastic is my favorite. Do You Know Squarepusher is a close second for the title track and "Kill Robok." Those tracks will make you go mad trying to figure out how they were done.