IGNORED

Be Up A Hello [2020]

Consul

Funny saga going on with the 8-bit version, at first wasn’t available, customer support emailed everyone (?) saying the “specially mastered” 8-bit files would be ready soon (?!!?), anyway they showed up today and my devices hate trying to play 8-bit files, apparently. Also it’s driving me crazy but in Mekrev Bass the nice 8-bit quantization noise feels a bit panned to the left rather than being dead center and I have no idea why. Maybe my headphones are broken? Or maybe I need to go to bed. I dunno

9 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Good music sounds good on garbage equipment.

People used to swoon to Wagner operas played on shellac records.

I most certainly didn’t swoon to Spotify Oberlove.

Spotify Terminal Slam, on the other hand, was quite ok. :shrug:

i'm not talking about the sound quality but the company ?

58 minutes ago, ascdi said:

Funny saga going on with the 8-bit version, at first wasn’t available, customer support emailed everyone (?) saying the “specially mastered” 8-bit files would be ready soon (?!!?), anyway they showed up today and my devices hate trying to play 8-bit files, apparently. Also it’s driving me crazy but in Mekrev Bass the nice 8-bit quantization noise feels a bit panned to the left rather than being dead center and I have no idea why. Maybe my headphones are broken? Or maybe I need to go to bed. I dunno

Wot are you talking about 8 bit version 

broke his arm in Norway, looks like a fisherman

just sayin

Anyway Im really starting to get that antiicipation of details, vibe, that i find loads with squarepusher....the pace, the buildups, the little drops and audio easter eggs...cannot wait to dance to it with fans where we all collectively get the incoming juicey bits and revel at the live tweaks

On 2/5/2020 at 3:42 PM, MIXL2 said:

ma fav sp track rn 

Yeah i checked out hello everything again to see which was the best squarepusher album with 'hello' in the name.

It's now on solid rotation, lush album imo (and the best squarepusher album with 'hello' in the name)

19 hours ago, ascdi said:

Do you get the 8 bit versions free with the cd/vinyl purchase of the album? 

Well, I think this album is pretty fantastic...Mekrev Bass in particular is a monster - but all the tracks are enjoyable - even the first two (though the second track is the least captivating on the disc for me.) For whatever reason it somehow seems to sound both warmer and easier on the ears AND more manic and dense than his recent albums leading up to this one. I like the intensity and craziness of it - so many others seem to be going for a more minimal, subtle, less-is-more thing, but this is a welcome bout of info overload at times.

It’s pretty inspiring to see someone of his age and place I releasing music putting out something so strong and vital. It’s definitely my favourite of his since ‘Hello Everything’ - maybe even Ultravisitor. 

Edited by Lianne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Aural Unrest said:

Do you get the 8 bit versions free with the cd/vinyl purchase of the album? 

What is this about 8 bit versions? I’m not seeing anything about this anywhere other than this thread. What’s it about?

1 hour ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

What is this about 8 bit versions? I’m not seeing anything about this anywhere other than this thread. What’s it about?

On his site, there's options to purchase 24 bit wav and 8 bit wav (along with the other usual files) 

36 minutes ago, elcid4 said:

The 8-bit versions are available to download on his site if you bought it there, I have no idea what the point of them is though?

Gotcha, thank you! 

Just now, ignatius said:

it must be terrible to have to review music. 

If I ran a music review channel, I'd only review things I like. If I had to listen to music I didn't like as my job I think I'd die.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KingBo0 said:

If I ran a music review channel, I'd only review things I like. If I had to listen to music I didn't like as my job I think I'd die.

i did it for a sort of EBM/industrial type rock mag years ago. was news paper print type mag. i'd get like 20 CDs in the mail of shit i'd never heard of and i'd review most of it. often i really trashed things in a polite kind of way. and once i shit all over this release that was a CD that designed not to be played in computer CD rom drives  which at the time was the only CD player i owned. it was some kind of anti-piracy thing. could only be played in audio CD players. so i made the whole review about how fucking stupid that was. it didn't get printed. a lot of the reviews i wrote never got printed. 

i stopped doing it after a few months. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, ignatius said:

it must be terrible to have to review music. 

just open up and listen to it. it's good. 

A "light 7"

Although I must say I was surprised at his (=fantano's) final verdict given everything he said before. Feel like he was moving towards a 6 or a 5 even. 

For the record ( and this will be culturally politically incorrect around here) : i agreed with a lot of what he was saying...