IGNORED

Be Up A Hello [2020]

Consul

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

i did it for a sort of EBM/industrial type rock mag years ago. was news paper print type mag. i'd get like 20 CDs in the mail of shit i'd never heard of and i'd review most of it. often i really trashed things in a polite kind of way. and once i shit all over this release that was a CD that designed not to be played in computer CD rom drives  which at the time was the only CD player i owned. it was some kind of anti-piracy thing. could only be played in audio CD players. so i made the whole review about how fucking stupid that was. it didn't get printed. a lot of the reviews i wrote never got printed. 

i stopped doing it after a few months. 

ahahahahahahhahaha. That's a fucking amazing story, I love that what the fuck.

They deserved it anyways, what sort of dumbass puts anti piracy measures on an audio cd? ahahahahaha

I'll give you 10 bucks if you can find that review I really wanna read it now.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 5:14 PM, elcid4 said:

The 8-bit versions are available to download on his site if you bought it there, I have no idea what the point of them is though?

I didn't see this. I actually think that's a great idea, makes me real tempted to buy a digital copy. It gives it a more "authentic" rave sound, which is super neat IMO.

ex: fav 90s breakcore band was all 8-bit

1 hour ago, goDel said:

A "light 7"

Although I must say I was surprised at his (=fantano's) final verdict given everything he said before. Feel like he was moving towards a 6 or a 5 even. 

For the record ( and this will be culturally politically incorrect around here) : i agreed with a lot of what he was saying...

i think part of the thing w/this album is some of it probably seems like it's too "easy" for tom to make in some way or something. as if he's being lazy. i don't know music theory so some of that "simple bach baroque chord progression" or however he phrased is kind of lost on me.. while i get it that it's not the most melodically challenging thing it fits w/what he's done through out his discography. oberlove at first listen made me cringe a little because it's so full of sugar but by the 2nd or third listen in context w/the record it was really pretty amazing and that 2nd half of the song gets stuck in my head or i find it popping in my ear out of nowhere.

as for the breaks.. yes there is tons of detail and micro changes to individual drum hits in some songs. the various treatments of entire transitions and parts are pretty aweosme to me in a lot of ways. 

i don't know if he mixed these tracks himself or what but there's a lot going on in some of them and the detail is still there even for how dense the tracks are and for me this album is kinda the first one not to be brittle since he stopped recording on the 8 track reel to reel. i don't know what Go Plastic was recorded on though so i could be wrong.  ultravisitor and hello everything i wouldn't call brittle though so maybe i'm talking out my ass. 

i don't think he's lazily going through the motions and laying out his favorite tricks. it all sounds really intentional and i think he's just focused on something else in the process.. the overall arc of each track.. soem of them just go to 11 or whatever even when i think there is no room in the track for it to go there and i find that pretty awesome as a listener. 

i'm not going ot die on the cross for this record but i think it's a damn  good record.

• Like 4

On 2/1/2020 at 12:21 PM, job said:

I swear I've heard that melody in Oberlove somewhere before. It kicks in at 1:31 and repeats again at 1:53, 3:01, and 3:24. The whole song seems to revolve around that bit. I wanted to hold off posting this observation in hopes that I could figure it out myself but nothing comes to mind.

I know that the opening track from Damogen Furies "Stor Eiglass" is similar to The Cure - Just Like Heaven. I'm wondering if he decided to do the same w/ this opener.

I also hear the drums from 54 Cymru Beats in Nervelevers.

Ok I finally figured out where I that Oberlove melody was sounding so familiar from... the opening orchestral bit from "I Am The Walrus". Sounds pretty close to me.

Edited by job

22 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Those sound nothing alike to me, not even remotely similar. 

Just so I'm clear, I am referring to those 7 long notes at the start of "I am the walrus". From 0:05 to 0:13. I hear that pattern in Oberlove predominantly at 1:31, 1:53, 3:01, and 3:24 and perhaps notes in that scale or key scattered throughout the song.

Edited by job

^dunno about all that but maybe

but anyway that made me realize what the beginning of Oberlove reminds of: 

not note-for-note or anything, but just tone/feel/arrangement, very similar feel at the start

On 2/7/2020 at 7:19 PM, KingBo0 said:

?

"It doesn't really come together as a complete project."

-A guy that's never made a complete project come together

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Braintree said:

"It doesn't really come together as a complete project."

-A guy that's never made a complete project come together

"if you can't do ... you teach... if you can't teach.. you critique" or so goes this generalized saying. 

Edited by ignatius

I kind of want to start a Youtube Reviewer Review channel where I break down why they're not very good at it and then use an actual rubric as to why/how I've come to a conclusion.

There was a composer a while back that would critique works under different names/characters and tell a story through it but I can't remember the name. I thought it was Schumann but I'm not finding much on google.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 10:01 PM, KingBo0 said:

I didn't see this. I actually think that's a great idea, makes me real tempted to buy a digital copy. It gives it a more "authentic" rave sound, which is super neat IMO.

ex: fav 90s breakcore band was all 8-bit

I'm looking in my cart now and I see my downloads but I don't see the option for 8-bit. Is there something I'm missing??

edit...

BTW... +1 for Nasenbluten. Tho I've never heard them referred to as a "breakcore band" I always knew of them as hardcore/gabber legends. Back in the day, they were the best.

Edited by J3FF3R00