IGNORED

Be Up A Hello [2020]

Consul

1 hour ago, Lianne said:

I agree this one is miles better than the last two - it feels so good to crank it loud as well, which didn’t feel so great to do on the previous recent works - but sometimes when in the right mood Damogen did do something for me. It has some aspects of magic on it even if listening was often a struggle. But man, just heard Ufabulum again and it’s a even worse then I remembered (because I tried to make myself like or “get it” at the time.) The opener is pretty great for a few minutes, but then that EDM thing happens. I’m sure an uplifting chordal bright synth riff could work - I’ve heard it work - but for some reason it just sounded so cheap and cheesy and weak on this album. Surrounded by weirdly still-good rhythmic programming in places. I like bright synth fantasy wizard electronic dance music in principle but my ears couldn’t hack that album. Then again, it seems super popular - the opener alone has a mass of adoring comments. So evidently it worked at bringing a lot of fans in and works for many. 

But the new release is so much more solid sounding with top-notch control, madness, tension and release. 

lol I'll never forget my first listen of "unreal square"

serious "wtf is this shit ?" moment 

6 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

lol I'll never forget my first listen of "unreal square"

serious "wtf is this shit ?" moment 

Agree with Lianne above too... just damn screetchy ... i think the compositions are ok though and "Mettalurgist/Drax 2" are a good pair... remind me of UV style . Unreal square is only good when it breaks down and splinters - almost nearly just about gets the Exploding Pyschology synth then the stupid cheap mainmelody comes back - grrrrr

Edited by phudoshin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Richie Sombrero said:

Hilarious to me the schism between this album and the last two, based on marketing, when they all sound extremely similar. Back ends of all of them could be interchanged. 

You need to check your ears Richie. Maybe the sombrero is on too tight?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, markedone said:

its a single lp, is 33 not the normal speed?

Wait, maybe everyone's saying it sounds all super complex and wild and dynamic as they're listening to it @ 45 ?!

• Facepalm 1
  • Farnsworth 2

10 hours ago, chenGOD said:

You need to check your ears Richie. Maybe the sombrero is on too tight?

Could be, my right ear is pretty wrecked. Listened to Ufab on vinyl for first time yesterday, sounded pretty good. I'm just glad I like the last 3 albums, much joy. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, perunamuussi said:

That's  what i was thinking....

Phudoshin pls

Audacity down-speed on the the wavs  - pulease - works great on  all the beat tracks - gets me into the details nice... tom still makes the drums go fast ... whatever the speed!

13 hours ago, markedone said:

It may yet be the cop show dad funk gabber-jazz album of the year, that's for sure

It's my current lead fave in that style for sure.

The whole album works for me, there's often a tune that doesn't quite sit right with me even on albums I love, but I the balance on this album is perfect to my ears.

Really happy to get some proper brain mangling tunes too!

• Like 1

This album is great.  My brain still doesn't know how to interpret the Vortrack rhythm.  Kick triplets?  Not quite.  Obique 4 on the floor?  Nope.  Where's the 1?  No idea anymore.  A groove emerges briefly towards the end, but perhaps it's only my imagination. Very interesting choice for the single, when everything else is so infectiously catchy.  Top melodies, top drum programming, top 8 bit bassing.  One of his most consistent albums by far.

• Like 2

I listened to the LP at least ten times. 
Grew on me, but........

Melodies are its weak point. 
Not really the melodies themselves, but melodies with standard notes. In the last decade all my favorite electronic tracks have microtonal melodies, from afx to autechre. Today it is very difficult to find melodies using those same 12 semitones that surprise me or that don't sound already heard