IGNORED

Be Up A Hello [2020]

Consul

13 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I’ve listened through a solid 15x or so. V nice ? 

yeah me 2, this is so good and so goddamn brutalll!!! Never saw this one coming, perfect from start to finnish

• Like 2

Great stuff. Scratching a certain "What do you mean you will never release a drill 'n bass album ever again, Richard?" itch...
"Oberlove" melody is gorgeous and tracks like "Speedcrank", "Terminal Slam" and "Mekrev Bass" blow the likes of Ruby My Dear, Steinvord, Heorge Garrison (provided Tom isn't involved with the last two himself of course...) out of the water. I mean, nothing but respect for those artists, especially for Ruby My Dear, but the mind bending editing in those tracks definitely got a "The King is back" vibe...! 

Edited by Disappearer

slightly off topic, but i'm quite excited about the bleep store.. who knows what we could be getting down the line.. repressed vinyl, vinyl exclusives, digi exclusives, unreleased tracks, live sets, live vids, merchandise..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, xyz888 said:

slightly off topic, but i'm quite excited about the bleep store.. who knows what we could be getting down the line.. repressed vinyl, vinyl exclusives, digi exclusives, unreleased tracks, live sets, live vids, merchandise..

also, what's up with https://www.vicacid.net?? it keeps updating :fear:

• Like 2

As much as I'm enjoying this alboom - I'm gradually finding some criticisms. Of course. lol.

Is it just me or is it compressed AF?.... Just do a side by side comparison between a track or two from the album, alongside something ubiquitous; play it beside something like Syro, or Bon Jovi for all I care. 

There is something seriously off with the mixing/mastering on this. Disclaimer - I'm saying this as a massive SP fan, Phudo level fanboy even.

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

46 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

As much as I'm enjoying this alboom - I'm gradually finding some criticisms. Of course. lol.

Is it just me or is it compressed AF?.... Just do a side by side comparison between a track or two from the album, alongside something ubiquitous; play it beside something like Syro, or Bon Jovi for all I care. 

There is something seriously off with the mixing/mastering on this. Disclaimer - I'm saying this as a massive SP fan, Phudo level fanboy even.

This is what I mean, it sounds awful compared to pretty much any music I usually listen to, including vs older squarepusher. 

Difficult to define, and it's been discussed over and over with ufab and damogen, but it's just overwhelmingly fatiguing and unpleasant to listen to for me.

I am really gutted, all the talk of returning to the old school and digging all his old kit out of the loft or whatever seems like pure marketing shite to me, it sounds IDENTICAL to the last two? Like tracks like the metallurgist or kwang bass could easily be on this album?

?

• Like 2

Ha ha, it's got that old sound to my ears. Good to hear opposing perspectives. I haven't really enjoyed the majority of music he's put out recently  (even if there are sections of tunes I've enjoyed, the overall collection of tracks & sound hasn't quite connected with me) but I can also hear Damogen aspects to this & enjoy them more in this context.

I feel like I've sort of become accustomed to slightly weird sounding mastering on his releases. When I first heard his music it excited me but the levels sounded bizarre. I couldn't initially understand why it didn't seem to have the same impact as most other Jungle / Hardcore / Rave tracks, sort of as if it wasn't trying to be up in your face the whole time. Once I'd adjusted to how different it sounded the music made sense. I kind of feel like each album has a slightly different focus in terms of the mastering & it always takes a bit of getting used to. I agree that Damogen sounded too harsh to my ears but I don't find Be Up A Hello to be tiring.

5 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

This is what I mean, it sounds awful compared to pretty much any music I usually listen to, including vs older squarepusher. 

Difficult to define, and it's been discussed over and over with ufab and damogen, but it's just overwhelmingly fatiguing and unpleasant to listen to for me.

I am really gutted, all the talk of returning to the old school and digging all his old kit out of the loft or whatever seems like pure marketing shite to me, it sounds IDENTICAL to the last two? Like tracks like the metallurgist or kwang bass could easily be on this album?

?

sorry for my technical ignorance... But is what we’re hearing a result of something in the production process or is it post production? I guess what I’m asking is, how/why does it sound like that exactly?

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

Right that makes a ton of sense. I’m sure my bleep 320kbps mp3s will be mixed and mastered much different than these 320kbps mp3s.

I should withhold any judgement until I hear the right 320kbps mp3s I know how much different they can be.

Ive listened through now 17 times I’m sure I’m allowed to discuss what I enjoy and don’t enjoy about it.

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

Anyways yeah - very sorry my post was so triggering to anyone. The album is great, still my fav of his in a long ass time. Hope everyone that purchased it and is noble enough to wait until the official release date has their expectations met. I for one have a lot of extremely shitty things going on in my personal life and the reprieve/relief of a new pusher album that I paid for even though not officially released was too tempting to pass by. 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

sorry for my technical ignorance... But is what we’re hearing a result of something in the production process or is it post production? I guess what I’m asking is, how/why does it sound like that exactly?

Who knows, other than pusher is clearly intending for it to sound this way if he's signing off on the masters.

What is weird to me is we've got 2 albums back to back - first the marketing hype is "tom spent 15 years developing his own bespoke software so he can make these entire tracks in the box", second is "tom digs out his bewildering array of analogue and digital hardware that defined his sound in the 90s". What is even the point of making that distinction if functionally they sound exactly the same?

• Like 2