IGNORED

[New BEHRINGER Products]

YEK

7 hours ago, iococoi said:

This might be the most meta-IDM thing ever

Does anyone have the recording someone from Australia did reading a plant review of an old The Flashbulb record? I opened and closed an old dubstep mix with snippets from it. Lost the full recording and would love to get that back for laughs.

Here's the mix if you want to hear what I'm talking about:

• 3 weeks later...

I really wish they hadn't spent the past year being fucking assholes, because this is exactly a thing I would buy. I have a BCR2000 with Zaquencer already but hate how ugly it is.

Maybe Arturia will clone it ? 

• Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 1

On 1/10/2021 at 7:35 PM, luke viia said:

I think its definitely an attempt to muscle in on Korg territory lol with their new sequencer. I do prefer the look of the Korg one though!!

SQ-64 - POLY SEQUENCER | KORG (U.K.)

Yep, stuff is happening. Dig the choice of clone as ordering an original will take over a decade to receive. Not fully convinced it's a solid studio addition and not just a mad lab box (watmm's favorites). And they need a better looking VU meter! 

FB_IMG_1610712853592.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chim said:

Yep, stuff is happening. Dig the choice of clone as ordering an original will take over a decade to receive. Not fully convinced it's a solid studio addition and not just a mad lab box (watmm's favorites). And they need a better looking VU meter! 

FB_IMG_1610712853592.jpg

I'm not going to buy one of these, but if the pin matrix is available as a replacement part at a decent price you bet I'll be picking up a couple of them! 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 1:20 PM, TubularCorporation said:

I'm not going to buy one of these, but if the pin matrix is available as a replacement part at a decent price you bet I'll be picking up a couple of them! 

As I understand Behringer have said that the pin matrix is the expensive part of the synth. Not sure if the price has been rumoured but if it’s cheap enough I would buy one. 

As it is just a prototype then my guess is you might do better joining the list for an original going on Behringers past delivery records.

1 minute ago, Grain Bastard said:

As I understand Behringer have said that the pin matrix is the expensive part of the synth. Not sure if the price has been rumoured but if it’s cheap enough I would buy one. 

As it is just a prototype then my guess is you might do better joining the list for an original going on Behringers past delivery records.

Last time I looked the only standalone pin matrix I could find in current production (just the part, not a module) was around 600USD for the smallest one.  They're pretty expensive.

36 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

Last time I looked the only standalone pin matrix I could find in current production (just the part, not a module) was around 600USD for the smallest one.  They're pretty expensive.

Wait wut? How can a pin matrix be so expensive?

It's "just" a PCB with some heavy duty precision engineering. I'm guessing the precision engineering is something like a catalytic converter in a car (you know, different layers of metal with holes in them ? ) which can be had for, dunno, internet says USD 200 or less. The electronics can't make up the remaining USD 400 - probably not even close 400 cents.

Maybe it's expensive because it's a rare part. Surely at the scale Behringer operates at it's going to be a lot cheaper (though still expensive for a synth part).

26 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Wait wut? How can a pin matrix be so expensive?

It's "just" a PCB with some heavy duty precision engineering. I'm guessing the precision engineering is something like a catalytic converter in a car (you know, different layers of metal with holes in them ? ) which can be had for, dunno, internet says USD 200 or less. The electronics can't make up the remaining USD 400 - probably not even close 400 cents.

Maybe it's expensive because it's a rare part. Surely at the scale Behringer operates at it's going to be a lot cheaper (though still expensive for a synth part).

The old ones are actually machined metal bars for each row with another layer of perpendicular machined bards for the columns with a whole purpose-built frame to hold them, they aren't PCBs. There was one company in, IIRC, Italy (EDIT: Ghielmetti, actually Swiss; I saw the $600-ish price on some old 2000s thread about DIY VCS clones) that was still making them to order a few years ago and it was the big limiting factor in making a DIY EMS clone.

But I hadn't looked in a while and the market has definitely changed:

https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/mtx9-pin-matrix/

Ghielmetti actually made the original Synthi part (and probably the Arp 2500 too, but I'm not sure about that) but they're a high end, specialty industrial manufacturer and they're priced that way.

EDIT 2: This kit has one of them, and the parts cost breakdown linked from the page says $515.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Thanks 1

Basically it's down to "industrial/military grade part that will last 100+ years if it's treated well but costs more than I spent on food in the last 3 months" and "plated through holes in a PCB that will wear out sooner or later because they were never meant for constant friction, but they also aren't ludicrously expensive"

Both have their pros and cons, what I'm hoping is that Uli will be using his child army to make a part that's comparable to the Ghielmetti but sells for something like $100USD or less, because in that case I'd probably have to hold my nose and buy one.

Edited by TubularCorporation

2 hours ago, chronical said:

aaaaagh I dont need it I dont need it I dont need it!!

Its gonna be a mere £300 I understand. I mean if Roland were to do rerelease the 909 with the same specs at double the price that would sell as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been brought up already within the thread but the Behringer FX2000 (FX processor) is pretty cheap and has some pretty lush reverbs and other effects - I haven't been able to get sounds like this 'in the box' (although this is likely down to my sound design skills than anything else...)

Anyway, cheap fx box. Very nice. Worth checking out. 

55 minutes ago, modey said:

Yeah I've been saying that for years and nobody listened lol. I got the Virtualizer Pro, it has awesome reverbs and also a really great vocoder. 

I also have a Virtualizer Pro, I bought it for something like $35 a long time ago because I had it mixed up with the V-Verb, but it has so many useful things in it that I kept it even after I found a V-Verb later that year. The vocoder is definitely the highlight.