IGNORED

[New BEHRINGER Products]

YEK

Arps (real or clone) have a really special sound IMO. If I had more cash and space I'd have already gotten the Korg Odyssey a couple years ago.  The Behringer looks great, though, and maybe it doesn't have the design mistake the Korg apparently has that messes up envelope retriggering.

I'm always conflicted with keyboards, on the one hand they take up a lot of space and I'm not particularly good at playing them, but on the other hand I've always found programming synths with dedicated keyboards a lot more rewarding, something about everything being self contained makes it really easy to get into the zone for me, even compared to having a module with a separate keyboard controller.  Maybe it's that everything is always in the exact same place every time so you can really get it in to muscle memory and work almost completely by ear.

It seems like that's almost standard for their synths, the same thing happened with the Deepmind 12.  With what they're selling for now I'd have probably got one instead of the Juno 6 (which was cheaper than the original release price of the DM12 even with a MIDI retrofit and a few replacements switches).

Now this I can understand. The Eurorack case market would really benefit from having someone with Behringer's manufacturing capability shaking it up. It's not like there's actually any great innovation  to be done  there (nor is it even desirable). Just put those economies of scale to work and give us affordable racks.

?

• Like 1

Buying a case for a modular synth is one of the reasons I haven't started on one. It's like...you need a small fortune before you even start buying modules.

7 hours ago, Braintree said:

Buying a case for a modular synth is one of the reasons I haven't started on one. It's like...you need a small fortune before you even start buying modules.

I remember there were some cheap DIY-sort of cases too priced at under 100 bucks which I thought was not too bad.

But then again I believe this is like complaining about syringe cost before starting a heroin habit so whatever mind trick excuse is good that keeps you from addiction. ?

• Like 1

Under 100 bucks is still a lot. They should cost no more than a white label power brick because that is exactly what they are.

The only reason they don’t is that Eurorack is such a niche market it makes no sense to start up a production run that can make them for this price (the fact that Eurorack is a mainly bought by dentists also doesn’t help, of course).

Let’s hope that Behringer can fix this.

Although I won’t be buying one myself because my 100 bucks DIY rack (for which I had to supply the wood myself) is nowhere near full yet and probably never will be. Nevertheless: go Behringer.

Not true, the costs include both the physical enclosure and a power delivery for 7-8 modules which is way more complicated than just a power brick. Besides if we are comparing this with a white label power brick made in some low quality weird mass factory somewhere then for not shorting my expensive modules and adding power noise to my sound I think I would like something with a better quality anyway.

Not saying that Behringer could not deliver a quality product cheaper though. ?

Edited by thawkins

I also priced out a DIY rack and if you want those standard extruded aluminum rails you're looking at about $30 of a pair of 110hp ones.

Anyway, yesterday it was slow at work and I read some of the coverage I'd missed of that time a year ago that Behringer tried to sue a bunch of random Gearslutz posters for saying mean things about the company online, which was pretty ridiculous.

But then also looking at the time in the mid 2000s that Boss sued them over their knockoff Boss pedals even though some of the most direct copies were actually copying Boss pedals like the FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz that was itself a pretty direct clone of one of the variants of Univox Superfuzz, which was itself simply a rebadge of a couple different fuzz pedals depending on the year.

It's clones all the way down.

Edited by TubularCorporation

People think their "expensive modules" are special and need special protection when in fact the circuits are very simple by modern standards and use components that are very basic and dirt cheap these days - and of a significantly higher quality than they were back in the seventies when this sort of tech was advanced. White label power bricks these days produce perfectly serviceable clean power and provide enough protection against power surges for your modules. A busboard, too, is a simple affair. Check out this DIY version: 

Something like this costs pretty much nothing when you build them in bulk.

The case? It's just plastic. Should cost little more than your average household bucket.

And those fancy aluminium rails? Bog standard stuff. Even Thomann sells them for 5.5 euros a piece: https://www.thomann.de/nl/adam_hall_6161_schiene.htm?glp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9cHowoHC5gIVRbTtCh2ILwZqEAQYASABEgJyYPD_BwE. They're likely even cheaper at a regular hardware store.

Edited by rhmilo

But my... my.. hand-wired sustainable home made circuit boards upcycled from vintage 80s VHS machines I dug out of the landfill with my bear hands... you can't just say all this effort costs just 5 bucks! It's artisanal, I spent like 30 minutes watching youtube soldering tutorials!

:catrage:

Edited by thawkins
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, rhmilo said:

People think their "expensive modules" are special and need special protection when in fact the circuits are very simple by modern standards and use components that are very basic and dirt cheap these days - and of a significantly higher quality than they were back in the seventies when this sort of tech was advanced. White label power bricks these days produce perfectly serviceable clean power and provide enough protection against power surges for your modules. A busboard, too, is a simple affair. Check out this DIY version: 

Something like this costs pretty much nothing when you build them in bulk.

The case? It's just plastic. Should cost little more than your average household bucket.

And those fancy aluminium rails? Bog standard stuff. Even Thomann sells them for 5.5 euros a piece: https://www.thomann.de/nl/adam_hall_6161_schiene.htm?glp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9cHowoHC5gIVRbTtCh2ILwZqEAQYASABEgJyYPD_BwE. They're likely even cheaper at a regular hardware store.

Not in the USA, unfortunately.  At least not last I checked.  It was around $10-$15 USD per rail without the threaded inserts, and they weren't available anywhere locally so you had to factor in another $10+ for shipping (because something that long always gets shipped in an insultingly oversize box here rather than a shipping tube).

I hot a 2x80HP case as partial payment for designing and building a simple module for someone about a year ago and after I made the trade I priced out the specific variety of rails that were in it and they would have cost me around $50usd (total for all four with inserts) from the cheapest source I could find here, plus shipping. Even really common T slot rails that are really common are around $10 a foot around here.

Anyway I've got no horse in this race because I've had that case for like a year and I still haven't felt any real urge to actually put anything in it.

Edited by TubularCorporation

^ That is really weird. I always had the idea that things like this were cheaper in the US than in Europe.

Guess now I know why so many machines and appliances in the US are built so ... shoddily.