IGNORED

[New BEHRINGER Products]

YEK

1 hour ago, thefxbip said:

amazing hahaha

That demo sold me on dropping the $35 or so to build one myself, and it was definitely worth it.

You might fault it for having the bass unrealistically high in the mix, but if you use one of these things you realize that it's almost impossible for whatever you plug in to it to not be too loud because there's no volume control and it adds a ridiculous amount of gain.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

That demo sold me on dropping the $35 or so to build one myself, and it was definitely worth it.

What/which output transformer did you use for it?

I just used a kit (misremembered the price, it was pounds not dollars, so closer to $50USD and another $10 or so if you order a predrilled case, which is worth it since all of the controls are PCB mounted so measuring to drill your own would be a hassle and you'd only save a couple dollars):

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/BrassMaster/p847124_11795417.aspx

Lots of kits exotic fuzz pedals at good prices on there, cheap enough that it's not worth the difference in cost to go through the trouble of perfboarding them unless you already have all the parts on hand. Based on the Brassmaster kit I'd definitely recommend them.

I've also added a master volume, although I didn't have the right pot handy so it can only cut the output to about 50% (which is still pretty loud at a lot of settings).  If you get one you should definitely think about adding master volume (it's a bight tight in the case, I used a 9mm pot and pit it on the side of the case, in the lower left corner).  Here are the notes I made for myself:

Master volume: Remove r12 Solder outer lugs of 100k audio pot in its place Take output from middle lug of pot instead of out pad on PCB. Alternatively, remove R12, connect Out pad to lug 1, lug 2 to Output pad on switch PCB, lug 3 to ground

I only had a 50k but it works, and doesn't change the sound in any way I noticed.

Also it's not a 1:1 transformer so don't be dumb like I was, forget to check which side is the primary and install it backward, because it's not easy to desolder it.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

They've also got a pretty tempting looking Fuzz Factory clone.

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Filth_Fack_-_Crazy_Germanium_Fuzz/p847124_5439185.aspx

I'm not actually a huge Fuzz Factory fan, but back in the 2000s I had a chance to buy Fuzz Factory #6 for $150 complete with the bag and manual and I didn't because I tried it for a while and thought it was gimmicky.  Making a clone might make me regret that less even though I probably wouldn't use it too much (I've got a modified, DIY Devi Ever Soda Meiser clone that goes way farther than anything I've heard from a Fuzz Factory, and am starting to get the basic design together for an even more ridiculous version of it that adds parallel half wave rectification in front of the fuzz and an envelope controlled feedback loop, so when I've got that figured out and built I'll have more than enough misbiased noise-fuzz).

1 hour ago, cboyardeat said:

from what I remember they had some sort of legal trouble with the original creator of the devilfish mod.

It was more like they lowballed him on the rights to use the Devilfish name/design, he refused, and then they (evidently) went and did it anyway.

1 minute ago, chronical said:

Aren't the devil fish mods more of a collective effort? 

No I don’t think so. It’s a husband and wife setup.

I believe there is a collective working on their own version of the modifications but the original isn’t 

Man I want to buy that thing but hard to justify it right now as there's prob better things to invest my money in with how the world is haha..

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 2:26 PM, cboyardeat said:

literally don't have the budget to buy from any other company

Just use software then, hardware is for people with more money than sense.

Seriously though Behringer sucks.

I couldn't resist getting a Behringer UV300 Ultra Vibrato when they were on sale for $19 shipped at Sweetwater a few weeks ago.  Showed up this morning.  I've never used a real vintage Boss VB-2 but the consensus seems to be that the UV300 is a pretty much exact match, and whether it is or not it sounds really good and I don't feel like I'm missing out on much except for build quality, and it's certainly not a $530.00 difference in build quality.

I guess I'll have to pick up an SF300 Super Fuzz, since it's supposed to be one of the other dead-on clones they've pulled off.  The CE300 is one of the nicest sounding choruses I've ever used.  Getting the Boss originals of those three in nice condition could easily break $1000.

Yeah, Behringer is kind of a dick company (as are a lot of other big music companies - or rather the massive holding firms that own a lot of them - they're just more quiet about it), but sometimes you've just got to hold your nose.

It's not like boutique gear isn't full of Behringer manufactured specialty ICs these days.

On 7/19/2021 at 3:04 PM, Taupe Beats said:

Has that Devilfish clone made it to the US? I've been watching and only seen it go on sale in Europe.

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Haven’t seen it in a US store yet, been checking every couple days.

I agree that Behringer is an asshole, and I couldn’t ever imagine buying anything by them again, but I got the other acid clones on a lark and they are SO fun. Basically the most fun I’ve ever had making music, and I probably wouldn’t be making any music at all anymore if it wasn’t for that.

So, it’s a mixed bag. For me, I’m glad I decided to snag them, even though on one level it feels bad. YOLO and all that ?‍♀️

• 2 months later...