IGNORED

[New BEHRINGER Products]

YEK

Pro-1 received a firmware update for the envelopes so it's now spookily close to the OG. Not bad! 

Edited by chim

Yeah gotta say, as much as I hate Behringer at the moment, the RD9 seems pretty great. Maybe I'll pick one up secondhand or something.

Edited by modey

Btw some pots of the TD3 are really accessible. Eg. The vcf offset can be trimmed down to make it sound a bit darker. Even I was able to do this. Although I somewhat mangled the screw of the vcf offset, so be careful. Not a big deal as you can also access it from the solder side. Just more hassle

The RD8 has various kinks that didn't turned out great so my trust on the RD9 is low as long as they keep jumping frantically between projects. There's a copyright issue with the original samples, could be solved by allowing you to load your own ROM's and just grab the originals off the web. 

Midi slave sync, buggy sequencing, the whole unit freezing, out of phase individual channels, lots of other weird little bugs and a lot of angry returns... At least from what I've read.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Berk said:

Btw some pots of the TD3 are really accessible. Eg. The vcf offset can be trimmed down to make it sound a bit darker. Even I was able to do this. Although I somewhat mangled the screw of the vcf offset, so be careful. Not a big deal as you can also access it from the solder side. Just more hassle

Thanks for posting the vid:)

I might try to do this to my TD-3

5 hours ago, chim said:

Midi slave sync, buggy sequencing, the whole unit freezing, out of phase individual channels, lots of other weird little bugs and a lot of angry returns... At least from what I've read.

That sounds not fun. 

It's been six months since the last update, other units are getting much more frequent updates. So I can understand people feeling abandoned. The midi slave issue seems to be almost universal which is pretty unacceptable. I'm not ever going to use a drum machine as a master sync unless it's some wonky youtube level jam. 

Yeah, it's taking really long. There's this fb post from May though that kinda restored faith for me. I've got an RD8 and it works pretty fine I gotta say. But it did freeze a couple of times and sometimes on start the first step doesn't sound. I read that if used with Ableton sync horror is brutal 

"

RD-8 Bug Fixes

We are aware that the RD-8 needs improvement related to various issues such as MIDI sync. We have decided to rewrite quite a fair chunk of the firmware so we can also integrate it with the

SynthTool. Please give us a bit of time - we'll get it

right. Thanks"

Edited by Berk
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

k52vEdR1MCk

Some videos out there already. Imo hihats sound a bit too thin 

And I'm skeptical about the accent. On the og it really changes the timbre of the instruments, it probably only makes them louder on the beh

Also: no rd9 yesterday despite the fact that it was 9 September, I still cri because of that

Edited by Berk
  • Like 1

My guess re: the accents is that the op amps and transistors available 40 years ago probably tended to have less headroom (plus other components were probably lower tlrance than the SMT stuff common today, which would mean op amps and transistors probably wouldn't be running optimally even if they had the theoretical potential to perform as well as their modern equivalents), so even if you clone the circuit with modern components, an accent on the clone would just be louder where on the old gear it would saturate a bit.

8 hours ago, Berk said:

Imo hihats sound a bit too thin 

Yeah and they're a bit grating somehow, compared to the original.

Not bad though. With the individual outs it's less of an issue. Again it's something I'll look out for on the secondhand market, because I do love the 606 sound.

Hats sound fine to me. Those trigger outs are nice for euro too. I like the sound and flexibility of the TT-606, though.

I do not like Behringer, but it's awesome that you can finally get matching 303/606 clones for an appropriate price. With that I think the acid clone arms race is officially over.

Yeah it's a shame Uli has seemingly gone to great lengths to prove how much of a dick he is in the past year or so. A lot of my friends have been buying the TD3 and are very happy with it. That said, I went with the TB03 instead and am very happy with it, especially since it has delay/reverb built in as well.

Edited by modey
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 5:17 PM, Berk said:

k52vEdR1MCk

Some videos out there already. Imo hihats sound a bit too thin 

And I'm skeptical about the accent. On the og it really changes the timbre of the instruments, it probably only makes them louder on the beh

Also: no rd9 yesterday despite the fact that it was 9 September, I still cri because of that

Sounds dope to me. £150 is a no brainer especially with the individual outs!!

I already have a 606 but I'm tempted to get one just to mod.  The thing with buying behringer though is I now have to factor in a donation to a local jewish charity and then tape up the logo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2