Jump to content

[New BEHRINGER Products]


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, I mean there are a lot of possibilities here.  Let's have a think about a couple.. Scenario 1. On Wednesday on an obscure internet message board you make a post about buying a behringer

I don’t care if he “has a Jewish surname”. What, we can’t make fun of him because he may or may not be a Jew? Tell him to fucking man up. Not every insult is derived from what he identifies as - somet

Posted Images

I dunno. Within the kind of mindset/framework Behringer seems to operate in as a business it probably makes sense somehow to unleash as many of their products onto the market as possible. They seem to have no vision or ideals (sounds grand but if you borrow everything and only react to what you think the market demands it seems to me you put yourself in a very weak and insecure position) so who the fuck knows what's gonna happen tomorrow? Pump out those boxes before everything collapses.          

Not a dig at anyone buying or using their stuff, I'm in no position to judge anyone. Just some patently drunk rambling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If nothing else, they've lit fires under the butts of complacent developers. Dave Smith went rather quickly from "I don't do reissues" to putting out two types of Rev4s ("before Uli does it" by his own admission). It's been a rather untapped market for a long time and what it will lead to is anybody's guess. Team B will likely have the capital & guts to come up with more original designs. As for QC doubts, numerous Korg 2600's and aforementioned Rev4's have arrived in lousy conditions, so it's clearly not solely a sub-$1k product issue... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 2:01 PM, chim said:

If nothing else, they've lit fires under the butts of complacent developers. Dave Smith went rather quickly from "I don't do reissues" to putting out two types of Rev4s ("before Uli does it" by his own admission). It's been a rather untapped market for a long time and what it will lead to is anybody's guess. Team B will likely have the capital & guts to come up with more original designs. As for QC doubts, numerous Korg 2600's and aforementioned Rev4's have arrived in lousy conditions, so it's clearly not solely a sub-$1k product issue... 

yeah, the tempest is case-in-point. I love it but it has plenty of glitches for a $2k machine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, iococoi said:

 

This might be the most meta-IDM thing ever

Does anyone have the recording someone from Australia did reading a plant review of an old The Flashbulb record? I opened and closed an old dubstep mix with snippets from it. Lost the full recording and would love to get that back for laughs.

Here's the mix if you want to hear what I'm talking about:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I really wish they hadn't spent the past year being fucking assholes, because this is exactly a thing I would buy. I have a BCR2000 with Zaquencer already but hate how ugly it is.

Maybe Arturia will clone it 😛 

  • Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2021 at 7:35 PM, luke viia said:

I think its definitely an attempt to muscle in on Korg territory lol with their new sequencer. I do prefer the look of the Korg one though!!

SQ-64 - POLY SEQUENCER | KORG (U.K.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, stuff is happening. Dig the choice of clone as ordering an original will take over a decade to receive. Not fully convinced it's a solid studio addition and not just a mad lab box (watmm's favorites). And they need a better looking VU meter! 

FB_IMG_1610712853592.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chim said:

Yep, stuff is happening. Dig the choice of clone as ordering an original will take over a decade to receive. Not fully convinced it's a solid studio addition and not just a mad lab box (watmm's favorites). And they need a better looking VU meter! 

FB_IMG_1610712853592.jpg

I'm not going to buy one of these, but if the pin matrix is available as a replacement part at a decent price you bet I'll be picking up a couple of them! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 1:20 PM, TubularCorporation said:

I'm not going to buy one of these, but if the pin matrix is available as a replacement part at a decent price you bet I'll be picking up a couple of them! 

As I understand Behringer have said that the pin matrix is the expensive part of the synth. Not sure if the price has been rumoured but if it’s cheap enough I would buy one. 
 

As it is just a prototype then my guess is you might do better joining the list for an original going on Behringers past delivery records.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grain Bastard said:

As I understand Behringer have said that the pin matrix is the expensive part of the synth. Not sure if the price has been rumoured but if it’s cheap enough I would buy one. 
 

As it is just a prototype then my guess is you might do better joining the list for an original going on Behringers past delivery records.

Last time I looked the only standalone pin matrix I could find in current production (just the part, not a module) was around 600USD for the smallest one.  They're pretty expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

Last time I looked the only standalone pin matrix I could find in current production (just the part, not a module) was around 600USD for the smallest one.  They're pretty expensive.

Wait wut? How can a pin matrix be so expensive?

It's "just" a PCB with some heavy duty precision engineering. I'm guessing the precision engineering is something like a catalytic converter in a car (you know, different layers of metal with holes in them 🙂 ) which can be had for, dunno, internet says USD 200 or less. The electronics can't make up the remaining USD 400 - probably not even close 400 cents.

Maybe it's expensive because it's a rare part. Surely at the scale Behringer operates at it's going to be a lot cheaper (though still expensive for a synth part).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Wait wut? How can a pin matrix be so expensive?

It's "just" a PCB with some heavy duty precision engineering. I'm guessing the precision engineering is something like a catalytic converter in a car (you know, different layers of metal with holes in them 🙂 ) which can be had for, dunno, internet says USD 200 or less. The electronics can't make up the remaining USD 400 - probably not even close 400 cents.

Maybe it's expensive because it's a rare part. Surely at the scale Behringer operates at it's going to be a lot cheaper (though still expensive for a synth part).

 

The old ones are actually machined metal bars for each row with another layer of perpendicular machined bards for the columns with a whole purpose-built frame to hold them, they aren't PCBs. There was one company in, IIRC, Italy (EDIT: Ghielmetti, actually Swiss; I saw the $600-ish price on some old 2000s thread about DIY VCS clones) that was still making them to order a few years ago and it was the big limiting factor in making a DIY EMS clone.

 

But I hadn't looked in a while and the market has definitely changed:

https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/mtx9-pin-matrix/

 

Ghielmetti actually made the original Synthi part (and probably the Arp 2500 too, but I'm not sure about that) but they're a high end, specialty industrial manufacturer and they're priced that way.

 

EDIT 2: This kit has one of them, and the parts cost breakdown linked from the page says $515.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...