IGNORED

[New BEHRINGER Products]

YEK

4 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

Behringer's 303 clone advertises that you can poly chain up to 16 of 'em right on the box. The concept of this gets funnier to me the more I think about it.

If I had unlimited funds I would definitely waste some of it polychaining 16 Bass Station Racks, though (or 8, I forget what the limit for polychaining them is). 

Edited by TubularCorporation

4 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

If I had unlimited funds I would definitely waste some of it polychaining 16 Bass Station Racks, though (or 8, I forget what the limit for polychaining them is). 

A 16-voice chord all on one 303 filter sweep. Prog acid.

edit: would like to add that I have no particularly strong pro/anti uli boog feelings, just keep spotting these announcements on reddit

Edited by luke viia

2 hours ago, luke viia said:

edit: would like to add that I have no particularly strong pro/anti uli boog feelings, just keep spotting these announcements on reddit

Holy shit, that detuned arp/seq they keep going back to is annoying

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, look at this great modular rack we made: *tweaks filter knob on terrible patches"

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 11:01 PM, luke viia said:

What a smug (smoog (smogue?)) chap.

Remember kids. Everytime you use your modular for simple arp sequences, Lord Buchla kills a kitten in heaven.

sorryyyyyyyy

but yeah you dont need a 5k modular for that a 5$ vst will do ok for those duties you know what im saying

Edited by thefxbip
  • Sad 1

On 6/30/2021 at 5:01 PM, acid1 said:

.... never thought I'd say this but I hope they clone the Monomachine.

Si Senor! Sold mine ?

• Sad 2

It's interesting, as popular as analog is right now I have a feeling there's a vintage digital boom on the way (already starting, really), if only because cloning analog gear is pretty doable in most cases, but cloning digital is generally a lot harder if it's possible at all, and popular interest in old gear is as much about exclusivity as it is about the actual quality of the gear, especially in the social media era.

We're not going to be seeing a VL-1 or K2500 clone any time soon, Behringer or otherwise.

• Like 2

FM has been of the rise recently.DX7 scores higher prices than 5 years ago.

But as for digi gear maybe but maybe not.

Seems to be that lots of VST can do what Digi hardware can do and get some of the same flavours. The same is certainly not true for analogue gear. VA isnt cutting it. If you want analogue tone you need real analogue still imo. With a real analogue you dont need to mess with parameters 30 min to get a bass you get it in 5 seconds. So the fact that you need it hardware gives it a bit of an edge. No other way to get the sound than owning the machine. Of course there is always ergonomics and hands on advantages of having a hardware digi synth and every synth is unique but i dont know if its enough to boost the market that much.

Hybrid synths tho are cool beasts. Analogue filters on digital osc are always quite interesting.

Vintage market is obviously vastly overblown and ridiculous tho.

In the end it's a rarity and fetishization thing. Every synth is unique, even VSTi and Digi and Clones and has its own tone. So if a particular synth is rare its gonna get expensive cause there is no other way to get this exact particular sound, especially in analogue and some are gonna fetishize this particular sound and will be willing to spend the money (on top of the collector factor).

Not necessarily because its better.

303 is a good example. It's not a particularily mind blowing or flexible synth compared to a prophet 5 but its highly fetishized.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 5:45 PM, thefxbip said:

Ive yet to be impressed by the sound of any Behringer synth. They sound weak. IMO.

What would recently released synths do you like than ?

Does anyone here own a rare vintage piece of music making stuff comp synth delay etc?

9 minutes ago, Wunderbar said:

Does anyone here own a rare vintage piece of music making stuff comp synth delay etc?

I dont know every new synth on the market but:

Entry level: Tetra/Mopho (own it), Monologue (own it), Bass Station 2, 0-Coast. All have character and powerful pure sound. Rolands (boutiques) are mostly shit. Arturia minibrute etc are a bit weak and average, lack flexibility. Behringer are weak and thin, no character.

OB6, Prophet 12, Doepfer Quantum, Digitone, Tasty Chips GR-1 are my favorite recent high end poly.

All of this very subjective of course.

Edited by thefxbip

If i had an advice for anyone buying a synth it would be to ALWAYS try it before hand. Never impulse buy without trying or only from demos or hype or advices from other people taste.

And when you play it it has to instantly give you tracks idea and make your hair stands on your arm. Like straight inspiration and straight goosebumps, these are used to make music after all.

''it sounds alright'' is never enough and will probably end up in regret.

It has to be love at first sight.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Wunderbar said:

i always feel like those demos where only the synth plays are misleading. they are always so loud, u would never have them that in loud in a normal mix.

I wish that there was more Demo tracks from synth makers in addition to demo noodling. Native does it in their demos.

Like the Korg demos from Afx.I would take that kind of stuff for every synth release. Hire a few musicians, and have them make trx with the product. It's fun to hear what a track sounds like made only with one synth. 

But i guess they do it that way so it's more neutral.

But hiring famous musicians to make a demo for a synth is a bit of an underrated marketing strategy imo.They could milk it really good.I think guitar and pedals people do it more with rock musicians.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

Sorry if im a bit dismissive and aggro but its because i was (and people i know) really scammed into some cheap piece of gear quite a few time and i ended up regretting spending hundred of dollars on nearly unusable synth toys and/or bad equipment lol

And it sucks. Some brand take advantage of your lack of money to scam you into buying really shitty gear. Cheap and good gear exist but it's not all of them, everyone should be aware of that when they're looking into buying affordable equipment.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 3

If I had to pick one, probably the model d. Heard good things about it from people I respect.

haven't heard much about the mono/poly, but that’s probably my favorite retro synth.

but, I have iOS versions of both that sound amazing, so...

On 7/3/2021 at 1:14 PM, thefxbip said:

FM has been of the rise recently.DX7 scores higher prices than 5 years ago.

But as for digi gear maybe but maybe not.

Seems to be that lots of VST can do what Digi hardware can do and get some of the same flavours. The same is certainly not true for analogue gear. VA isnt cutting it. If you want analogue tone you need real analogue still imo. With a real analogue you dont need to mess with parameters 30 min to get a bass you get it in 5 seconds. So the fact that you need it hardware gives it a bit of an edge. No other way to get the sound than owning the machine. Of course there is always ergonomics and hands on advantages of having a hardware digi synth and every synth is unique but i dont know if its enough to boost the market that much.

Hybrid synths tho are cool beasts. Analogue filters on digital osc are always quite interesting.

Vintage market is obviously vastly overblown and ridiculous tho.

In the end it's a rarity and fetishization thing. Every synth is unique, even VSTi and Digi and Clones and has its own tone. So if a particular synth is rare its gonna get expensive cause there is no other way to get this exact particular sound, especially in analogue and some are gonna fetishize this particular sound and will be willing to spend the money (on top of the collector factor).

Not necessarily because its better.

303 is a good example. It's not a particularily mind blowing or flexible synth compared to a prophet 5 but its highly fetishized.

Samplers that were getting $100-$200 4 years ago are getting $500-$800 now.  ROMplers mostly haven't seen quite as much of a bump but a bit.  More idiosyncratic stuff like the Kawai K series, Wavestation, TG/SY series Yamahas has gone way up.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 1:25 PM, Wunderbar said:

How rare do you mean?  I've got a Juno 6 (I was saving for a Deepmind 12 but the Juno was cheaper, which is pretty funny in retrospect) and a Matrix 1000, neither of which are exactly rare treasures despite the current vintage market the Matrix 1000 was the last cheap vintage polysynth back when I got it, but they aren't cheap anymore).

I will say the Juno sounds way better than any modern analog poly I've played.  The Juno sounds great but I wouldn't pay current prices for one, not even close.  It's good enough that I also wouldn't sell it for current prices now that I have it, though (a 60 I'd absolutely sell, the prices on those are just ridiculous).

If I was going to pay current Juno 6 prices on an analog synth I'd get something modern and put a couple hundred dollars into a Juno-like vintage Boss or Roland chorus, (Dimension C, CE300, probably a couple others I'm less familiar with) because I hear a way more meaningful difference between vintage and modern BBD effects than I do between vintage and modern analog synths.

Vintage digital I've got too much of, you could hardly give that stuff away when I was getting back in to electronic music and really acquiring gear in the first half of the 2010s.

On 7/3/2021 at 2:18 PM, thefxbip said:

I wish that there was more Demo tracks from synth makers in addition to demo noodling. Native does it in their demos.

This is the correct way to make a product demo:

Like, you can immediately tell (correctly) that it's the greatest fuzz ever made.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

How rare do you mean?  I've got a Juno 6 (I was saving for a Deepmind 12 but the Juno was cheaper, which is pretty funny in retrospect) and a Matrix 1000, neither of which are exactly rare treasures despite the current vintage market the Matrix 1000 was the last cheap vintage polysynth back when I got it, but they aren't cheap anymore).

I will say the Juno sounds way better than any modern analog poly I've played.  The Juno sounds great but I wouldn't pay current prices for one, not even close.  It's good enough that I also wouldn't sell it for current prices now that I have it, though (a 60 I'd absolutely sell, the prices on those are just ridiculous).

If I was going to pay current Juno 6 prices on an analog synth I'd get something modern and put a couple hundred dollars into a Juno-like vintage Boss or Roland chorus, (Dimension C, CE300, probably a couple others I'm less familiar with) because I hear a way more meaningful difference between vintage and modern BBD effects than I do between vintage and modern analog synths.

Vintage digital I've got too much of, you could hardly give that stuff away when I was getting back in to electronic music and really acquiring gear in the first half of the 2010s.

Stuff thats u cant buy in shops anymore and only second hand/ goes for a high price on the second hand market i guess?

So higher price = rarer ?

Edited by Wunderbar