IGNORED

[New BEHRINGER Products]

YEK

10 hours ago, auxien said:

can just leave it in the box for an investment, these Behringer machines are obv high quality and unique and they aren’t selling like thousands upon thousands of them so they will be big collectors items one day. 

:trollface:

Lol! What makes you think I want a collectors item? It's hipsters that drove up the price of the original machines.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thawkins said:

I am mentally prepared for the 200x increase of boring "acid hardware jams" being posted everywhere.

That is the downside to all of this reproduction stuff. Now everyone with £400 can have an 808 and a 303 - YouTube is going to be choked with 45 minute long 'jams' of 4/4 kick and resonant bass. Bleh

Edited by 714681746476436

22 minutes ago, 714681746476436 said:

That is the downside to all of this reproduction stuff. Now everyone with £400 can have an 808 and a 303 - YouTube is going to be choked with 45 minute long 'jams' of 4/4 kick and resonant bass. Bleh

I only use Youtube to watch Borat video's so ... don't care.

On one hand good on Behringer for making these things affordable and grabbing these unused trademarks and designs and making use of them.

On the other hand this situation is getting extremely weird in a way I can not describe. It's not like they are launching just 1-2 clones.. they are launching ALL the clones. I suppose it makes sense to do it all at once so the original makers of those things are caught on their ass instead of having time to react properly and reclaim the trademarks.

the problem is that Behringer aren’t doing anything for the love of music or musicians or trying to innovate the tools those people are using, it’s that they’re trying to just make money and that’s it. they don’t give a fuck, it’s pure commodity. 

17 minutes ago, auxien said:

the problem is that Behringer aren’t doing anything for the love of music or musicians or trying to innovate the tools those people are using, it’s that they’re trying to just make money and that’s it. they don’t give a fuck, it’s pure commodity. 

Yeah that's sort of it, there is nothing "special" going on, it's just business, no passion no nothing.

BUT who cares? You get a synth and it's a tool for you to do whatever. Companies that make drawing paper don't really give much of a damn about the art either, but what they do is provide a hugely industrialized process that lowers the €€€ barriers of entry for artists.

It's kind of a new playing field when you are not so much dependent on what ancient legendary synth you can get your hands on, but rather what new innovative things you can do. I don't really like this consumerism of more physical stuff being made each year, but you can not really escape the fact that it's sort of changing the game and making it easier than before to become a DAWless hardware artist.

Just need to grow past the stage of endless acid jams...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoomTssPhace said:

Idk about that actually, it seems they've put a lot of r&d into production.

pretty much any company is going to put R&D into a product, but the intent and passion will differentiate the ultimate outcome. Uli doing threads on Gearslutz aren’t about his passion for an instrument, it’s just market research so ultimately what he sells is as cheap as possible while ticking the boxes necessary. 

22 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

WATMM Crowd: Boo, Booo!

Uli: Are they booing me?

71468174665346: No, they are saying , Booringer

.... anyway, not sure if this was posted yet?

read somewhere that this uses s-trig instead of regular gates. so if you want to use it w/anything other than actual moog modular you need to buy behringer's s-trig -> gate converter. 

perhaps they thought people who own a $20,000 moog modular would expand their systems w/this so they better make it compatible. or maybe ditching s-trig and making the modules work w/gates required too much actual engineering ?

the behringer arp 2600 clone looks decent.. format is smaller and it has both filters. i've zero interest in any of their clones though. hopefully all this low cost gear makes it into the hands of young kids who get savage w/it and learn synthesis. i wonder how much of it is built to last? behringer is gonna do what behringer does. no use getting upset about it. 

16 hours ago, auxien said:

No shit, it's a business! How entitled do you need to be to think that a manufacturer should be doing it 'for the art'. Christ almighty. How many good manufacturers have we lost because the didn't know how to run a business?

I hope these companies continue to make money by offering me commodities that want to purchase.

• Burger 1

13 hours ago, auxien said:

pretty much any company is going to put R&D into a product, but the intent and passion will differentiate the ultimate outcome. Uli doing threads on Gearslutz aren’t about his passion for an instrument, it’s just market research so ultimately what he sells is as cheap as possible while ticking the boxes necessary. 

Exactly how does passion present its self in the development of electrical circuits? I've never had one of my designs refused because it 'lacked passion'.

To give you an analogy, the man who designs the ECU for Fords (a mass market product) is likely just as passionate about his job as the guy who does it for Ferrari (the bespoke sector). But more over, the company who are committing to building tens of thousands of these units are doing so at a greater risk as their out lay is greater and their confidence in design and manufacturing quality must be higher.

I am stunned that any company is committed to reproducing iconic instruments (and actually, forcing a lot of the industry to do so) is so looked down upon. Lots of snobbery here I think. Makes me think that the original manufacturers should have got off their ass and done it themselves.

We need more pragmatism in this industry, less of the pseudo science

Edited by 714681746476436
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, 714681746476436 said:

Exactly how does passion present its self in the development of electrical circuits? I've never had one of my designs refused because it 'lacked passion'.

To give you an analogy, the man who designs the ECU for Fords (a mass market product) is likely just as passionate about his job as the guy who does it for Ferrari (the bespoke sector). But more over, the company who are committing to building tens of thousands of these units are doing so at a greater risk as their out lay is greater and their confidence in design and manufacturing quality must be higher.

I am stunned that any company is committed to reproducing iconic instruments (and actually, forcing a lot of the industry to do so) is so looked down upon. Lots of snobbery here I think. Makes me think that the original manufacturers should have got off their ass and done it themselves.

We need more pragmatism in this industry, less of the pseudo science

100% agree with this.  They’re selling that 303 for £130-ish, and the reason they can sell it so cheap is because they’ve had to do no research on the circuit, it’s a tried, tested and abused circuit.  They’ll sell tons of these.  If they were charging £600 for this I’d feel different, but £130?  Bargain.

I’ve made most of my own synths because I enjoy building stuff, the one thing I bought so far was a Waldorf Streichfett because there’s no way I could do a poly synth for that cheap.  This falls squarely into that same bracket.

Pragmatism went out the window when Richard declared that the smell of vintage analogue makes you make better music 

Edited by chim
  • Haha 1