IGNORED

vst Sequencers.

YEK

I'm very much interested in software sequencers and how their different workflows can inspire and force you to write different music. 

Does anyone have an secret weapons? Would like to do some weird polyrhythms as well. 

512 numerology works as a plug in. mac only. it's super awesome for a lot of things.  you can basically build patches in the standalone version and save presets like "snapshots" and then open numerology as a plug in in your host and all the presets will be there. it's super flexible. 

http://five12.com/hq/N4

the hyakken stuff is also really good and very affordable.  he sells a bundle of his sequencers that is all of them in one go. very flexible. great for all kinds of stuff. his other plug ins.. especially the delays.. are really cool as well. nice gui and work flow.. good sound. lot's of options and modulation. 

https://hy-plugins.com/product/hy-seq16x3-and-hy-mpswinmac/

dialog audio makes 2 nice plug ins. one for modulation and one for sequencing. they're pretty slick. 

https://dialogaudio.com/plugins.php

if you're using live and have max for live then go for the K-devices stuff. the oog series bundle is ridiculous good. i think he is having a sale as well or will for black friday. also maybe if you sign up for his mailing list you get some offers.

https://k-devices.com/product-category/oog-series/

there's a ton of interesting and useful m4l devices.. some free.. many for like $5-$10.  a new one called melodia looks interesting. but there's like a thousand variations on a handful of ideas. some done really well. 

I've owned and used extensively all the tools @ignatius mentioned in his post above, stellar stuff. My whole Ellipses LP was sequenced using Numerology FWIW.

Loomer Architect is another fantastic option (also own a licence, I've started a topic here about it earlier this year IIRC).

Now I can't recommend TidalCycles enough : I use it to sequence Live, and it has opened up my creativity 10 fold. It's surprisingly intuitive and easy to get started.  Other live-coding options such as Gibberwocky and Orca are well worth considering too. And it's so, so fun to use !

1 hour ago, xox said:

How capable are the sequencers in this book? Any fancy features?

The book starts with a straight forward sequencer and builds it out to do things like looking and basic algorithmic stuff.

It's not a recipe book, though - it's a book to learn building in Max/MSP that uses sequencing as a scaffolding for the ideas it presents.

I enjoyed reading it and building some stuff from it, but it's not a keeper - read it and move on.

If anyone wants my copy, PM me (this probably only makes sense if you live in Europe, or, more specifically, the Netherlands).

6 hours ago, iococoi said:

Wow this sounds interesting.

I wonder if it works with my enormous amount of long audio samples...

As for sequences in the computer, I have played around with TidalCycles and Pure Data (also the Live built in things) and I my most creative tool is just playing a MIDI loop using Live's Arpeggiator. Especially the random mode is insanely good as a source of inspiration.

I think why I do not use the other things is that they are not easy to set up, presets not integrated into Live projects, etc. This is a shit excuse though - I have been thinking about doing a Pure Data generative experiment for a long time now, as well as TidalCycles. I even spent some time creating a bunch of module-like patches for myself to use in PD, should pick that up again.

And oh yeah last but not least, I built an actual VST using Camomile and Pure Data, inspired by the Arturia KeyStep. I built it, used it once (for the demo) and never again. Incredibly normal. ?

https://github.com/djlehm/pd-sequencer

6 hours ago, rhmilo said:

The book starts with a straight forward sequencer and builds it out to do things like looking and basic algorithmic stuff.

It's not a recipe book, though - it's a book to learn building in Max/MSP that uses sequencing as a scaffolding for the ideas it presents.

I enjoyed reading it and building some stuff from it, but it's not a keeper - read it and move on.

If anyone wants my copy, PM me (this probably only makes sense if you live in Europe, or, more specifically, the Netherlands).

Hey thnx for the review and the offer! The thing is that i own the book but haven’t found time to read it (lol + facepalm! = fuck this hyper-career life of mine!) 

7 minutes ago, yekker said:

Renoise just looks overly complicated..

it's very similar. renoise just has a lot of features.. you don't have to use them though.  the hexadecimal stuff throws people but if you learn a few commands you can do a lot and you don't have to really remember them. there's a pop up list.. find the command you want to use a bunch.. enter it on the lines you want.. move on.  the modulation is really good in renoise. you can turn FX on or off per step. really fun w/reverbs and tonal delays and comb filters.. the tutorial videos are all really helpful. 

but redux is cool too. can do a lot. worth demoing and seeing if it fits for you. might find it's all you want. 

26 minutes ago, yekker said:

Renoise just looks overly complicated..

It’s pretty much the same thing, except that Redux can’t synthesize other VST’s.

Still, Redux is a good choice because where trackers shine is in sequencing samples anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think this post belongs in here,

back when i was using solely my yamaha rm1x (and rs7000) to make music it had great midi effects, really handy features that i could use whenever i was stuck with a track

nowadays i'm using ableton but would love this flexibility back. anyone seen a plugin with the features seen in the pic?

wYEH5bH.jpg

4 hours ago, yekker said:

I think this post belongs in here,

back when i was using solely my yamaha rm1x (and rs7000) to make music it had great midi effects, really handy features that i could use whenever i was stuck with a track

nowadays i'm using ableton but would love this flexibility back. anyone seen a plugin with the features seen in the pic?

wYEH5bH.jpg

I mess around with MIDI in Ableton a lot, maybe the following effects should do what you need:

• Beat stretch - seems like this requires editing the recorded midi clip. Ableton can do 200% or 50% but not sure about stretching the clip to other percentages. I googled it, this can be done in clip editing too: 
  • Clock shift - not sure about that, there is no MIDI effect for this in vanilla Live. Maybe something in Max 4 Live? Track delay can probably help you, but you need to know how many samples or milliseconds is one cycle. The downside is that this is not tied to your BPM so you need to re-tweak the delay settings if your BPM changes.
  • Gate time - use Note Length effect.
  • Velocity offset - not sure, but the Velocity effect may help you out here. I use it to "fade in" midi tracks sometimes.
  • Transpose - Pitch effect does that.
  • Octaver & Harmonize - Chord effect lets you set harmonics at interval (and also specify the velocity of the harmonics). You can set up a Scale effect after that so that the generated harmonics fit in with the scale of what your melody is in.

This is probably not exactly the same as what you are used to in your hardware, but I am pretty sure you can set up your own MIDI rack that is quite close to the original functionality.

Thanks thawkins! That's a good tip that you linked. Nice to know that some of that stuff is possible...Can you think of any good forums that I could post my question on? Kvr ? DOA ? Max 4 live forum?

On 12/13/2019 at 11:05 PM, yekker said:

Thanks thawkins! That's a good tip that you linked. Nice to know that some of that stuff is possible...Can you think of any good forums that I could post my question on? Kvr ? DOA ? Max 4 live forum?

Maybe Ableton forums and M4L forums will help you out. I don't know these places really well to be sure..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived