IGNORED

Lannerlog/Clissold Mixing Desks

donquixote

Been fighting asking this question for a while but does anyone know what desk(s) Rich had in Lannerlog or Clissold? My reasons for asking are two fold:

1. I'm an insufferable turbo nerd and fanatic

2. I need a new desk and want to know as a type of anti-GAS reality check. I'm pretty sure the mixers weren't that fancy and I love those records to bits. Therefore hopefully inspiring me to stop looking at mixers I can't afford or fit in my room.

Cheers 

Bobby x

16 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

Dunno, but he just bought a Zähl for his current studio

24 cwejman channels coming up with stereo MBC3s on each bus group. As much as I love Wowa and his work this is the stuff I don't wanna look at tho...

3 hours ago, Enthusiast said:

Yeah it's fantasy gear. I remember reading that he used a Studiomaster Star 8ch(?) on SAW 2.

Been trying to remember what that mixer was!! Was like a tank that thing. 

I think those early studiomaster desks have some decent transformers in them. Would explain a lot of the magic of Rich’s mixes back then. Throw the faders up and it sounds good. 
I got lucky and got an Alice/stancoil desk recently and it definitely transforms anything you send to it into blissful ear candy.  Used by lee scratch Perry In the early 70s and a bit on syro. 

8 hours ago, bandenoire said:

I think those early studiomaster desks have some decent transformers in them. Would explain a lot of the magic of Rich’s mixes back then. Throw the faders up and it sounds good. 
I got lucky and got an Alice/stancoil desk recently and it definitely transforms anything you send to it into blissful ear candy.  Used by lee scratch Perry In the early 70s and a bit on syro. 

Oooh nice tip. Thank you. Those look like they go at reasonable prices too if I can ever find one. What size did you manage to get? Would love one even if it was just a sub mixer.

1 hour ago, donquixote said:

Oooh nice tip. Thank you. Those look like they go at reasonable prices too if I can ever find one. What size did you manage to get? Would love one even if it was just a sub mixer.

I got an 62/3 which is an early one before the 828. It’s six channels but I use it at the end of some other summing mixers and really like the sound of going into the Alice and it’s limiters. Mine has sowter transformers but they switched to belclaire shortly after which is the same that neve used. Def a magic box. 
They come up every now and then. I’d casually had a saved search going since 2008 and finally pulled the trigger on one last year. Not surprisingly, the amount they go for jumped after Syro’s gearlist published. 

26 minutes ago, bandenoire said:

I got an 62/3 which is an early one before the 828. It’s six channels but I use it at the end of some other summing mixers and really like the sound of going into the Alice and it’s limiters. Mine has sowter transformers but they switched to belclaire shortly after which is the same that neve used. Def a magic box. 
They come up every now and then. I’d casually had a saved search going since 2008 and finally pulled the trigger on one last year. Not surprisingly, the amount they go for jumped after Syro’s gearlist published. 

Yeah I've been eyeing up calrecs for a while for the same reason but the price is quite high and I'm nervous about the issues it might develop. Vintage stuff is always a bit of a gamble in my experience and money is tight.

6 hours ago, donquixote said:

Yeah I've been eyeing up calrecs for a while for the same reason but the price is quite high and I'm nervous about the issues it might develop. Vintage stuff is always a bit of a gamble in my experience and money is tight.

Calreqs are definitely a special breed. In a class all of there own. 
Are you looking for a tone box or something with some flexibility in routing?  Amek Tac’s are pretty versatile and have some decent pres. I think I saw ceephax use one on a video on his YouTube channel.  Audix MXT’s are another less spoken about board that uses neve transformers and is a nice little sidecar. 

Not mixer related but while on the topic of saw ii, I thought it was interesting that rich said he was worried he would have had to bake the beta tapes in order to have a high quality copy of stone in focus. Wonder if he was for real dumping masters back then to beta. They have more width and thus more headroom than most tape formats. 

On 12/1/2019 at 6:55 PM, bandenoire said:

Calreqs are definitely a special breed. In a class all of there own. 
Are you looking for a tone box or something with some flexibility in routing?  Amek Tac’s are pretty versatile and have some decent pres. I think I saw ceephax use one on a video on his YouTube channel.  Audix MXT’s are another less spoken about board that uses neve transformers and is a nice little sidecar. 

That's the hard question isn't it. Really want both but probably not gonna get that. Right now my dream desk would be the APB pro desk 8.... They are rare as fuck and I can't afford it right now. 

So I'm currently thinking Allen heath gl2*** 24 track to cover some of my routing needs (as they are pretty readily available and I had A&h in the 90s and loved it as a kiddo) and then maybe something like a BX (or something else small) for flavour. 

I've been recording straight into a 16 channel UAD soundcard for years because of space issues, now I've got the space I'm gone into mixer anxiety so any help with this is appreciated as I'm totally narked off with the current setup. (I dunno what's wrong with me, I'm fine with synths and modules and stuff, no issue at all, I guess it's easier to get a feel for tho)

19 hours ago, bandenoire said:

Not mixer related but while on the topic of saw ii, I thought it was interesting that rich said he was worried he would have had to bake the beta tapes in order to have a high quality copy of stone in focus. Wonder if he was for real dumping masters back then to beta. They have more width and thus more headroom than most tape formats. 

I can believe it, fancy recording tech was less available back then, still cool and inspiring tho.

As I was saying to Donquixote, I understand he was using a BX with an Irate drum machine in lanner. Here is what it sounds like with some Quadrave RB on RS and CL and missing the tape compression.

There is one bar of Ageispolis spliced in to some similar patterns for immediate comparison and a spectrogram of both. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pm8ryjgr3ukjtcc/Ageispolis DRUM machine MIXER.zip?dl=0

Screenshot 2019-12-08 at 19.10.50.png

i used to have an AMS Calrec minimixer. i miss it. had to sell it in 2008 when the economy collapsed. it was a broadcast desk. was about $3800 when i got it. had to get a custom snake made because of the EDAC connector for direct outs. got it recapped for $500 locally. it was super solid. totally reliable and sounded amazing. lundahl transformers so not as much color as an api. had a really great rpesence and the eq was simple but incredibly musical. just really fantastic. it had 4 sends too.  i wish i was able to keep it.  if you see one that's for a good price it's a great thing to have. there's 12 and 16 channel versions around as well but they're rare. the 8 channel is a little tank. 

5jAFWUD.jpg

thanks for all the info, any one got any thoughts on the  gl2400s? (edit: especially in comparison of sound rather than features to the other mixers mentioned in this thread. Features are obviously totally different on everything here so not really worth chatting about)

15 hours ago, kakapo said:

When did he start using a Midas Venice?  Only for Syro?  I know we're talking way later than Lannerlog, post 2000.

Do we know he uses if for recording or just live? Only seen/heard-reference to it live I think.

He listed the equipment used on love 7 and where/when it was recorded on SoundCloud. I can’t remember exactly, and soundcloud is garbage on a phone, but I think he mentioned using either a Midas Venice or Soundcraft Ghost. Also was recorded around Tuss times despite being an analord bonus. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2019 at 2:13 PM, donquixote said:

does anyone know what desk(s) Rich had in Lannerlog or Clissold?

I don't know why, but I'm anti-big mixers, for some reason. The mixer I record with at home is only about so big; it's 8-channel, and I've got a 16-channel one which is even smaller. I don't know what it is. It's got no writing on it - I found it in a second-hand shop... I think it was home-made, and some of the pots were a bit dodgy, so I've changed it around. I just really like small things. Big mixers are a rip-off. I can't imagine spending £100,000 on a mixer for 20dB less hiss. Turn the treble down at the output and you've saved yourself a hundred grand.

From an interview in 1993.

Archived