Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
donquixote

Lannerlog/Clissold Mixing Desks

Recommended Posts

Been fighting asking this question for a while but does anyone know what desk(s) Rich had in Lannerlog or Clissold? My reasons for asking are two fold:

 

1. I'm an insufferable turbo nerd and fanatic

2. I need a new desk and want to know as a type of anti-GAS reality check. I'm pretty sure the mixers weren't that fancy and I love those records to bits. Therefore hopefully inspiring me to stop looking at mixers I can't afford or fit in my room.

 

Cheers 

 

Bobby x

Edited by donquixote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno, but he just bought a Zähl for his current studio

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

Dunno, but he just bought a Zähl for his current studio

 

 

24 cwejman channels coming up with stereo MBC3s on each bus group. As much as I love Wowa and his work this is the stuff I don't wanna look at tho...

Edited by donquixote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it's fantasy gear. I remember reading that he used a Studiomaster Star 8ch(?) on SAW 2.

 

Edited by Enthusiast
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Enthusiast said:

Yeah it's fantasy gear. I remember reading that he used a Studiomaster Star 8ch(?) on SAW 2.

 

Been trying to remember what that mixer was!! Was like a tank that thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think those early studiomaster desks have some decent transformers in them. Would explain a lot of the magic of Rich’s mixes back then. Throw the faders up and it sounds good. 
I got lucky and got an Alice/stancoil desk recently and it definitely transforms anything you send to it into blissful ear candy.  Used by lee scratch Perry In the early 70s and a bit on syro. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bandenoire said:

I think those early studiomaster desks have some decent transformers in them. Would explain a lot of the magic of Rich’s mixes back then. Throw the faders up and it sounds good. 
I got lucky and got an Alice/stancoil desk recently and it definitely transforms anything you send to it into blissful ear candy.  Used by lee scratch Perry In the early 70s and a bit on syro. 

Oooh nice tip. Thank you. Those look like they go at reasonable prices too if I can ever find one. What size did you manage to get? Would love one even if it was just a sub mixer.

Edited by donquixote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, donquixote said:

Oooh nice tip. Thank you. Those look like they go at reasonable prices too if I can ever find one. What size did you manage to get? Would love one even if it was just a sub mixer.

I got an 62/3 which is an early one before the 828. It’s six channels but I use it at the end of some other summing mixers and really like the sound of going into the Alice and it’s limiters. Mine has sowter transformers but they switched to belclaire shortly after which is the same that neve used. Def a magic box. 
They come up every now and then. I’d casually had a saved search going since 2008 and finally pulled the trigger on one last year. Not surprisingly, the amount they go for jumped after Syro’s gearlist published. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bandenoire said:

I got an 62/3 which is an early one before the 828. It’s six channels but I use it at the end of some other summing mixers and really like the sound of going into the Alice and it’s limiters. Mine has sowter transformers but they switched to belclaire shortly after which is the same that neve used. Def a magic box. 
They come up every now and then. I’d casually had a saved search going since 2008 and finally pulled the trigger on one last year. Not surprisingly, the amount they go for jumped after Syro’s gearlist published. 

Yeah I've been eyeing up calrecs for a while for the same reason but the price is quite high and I'm nervous about the issues it might develop. Vintage stuff is always a bit of a gamble in my experience and money is tight.

Edited by donquixote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, donquixote said:

Yeah I've been eyeing up calrecs for a while for the same reason but the price is quite high and I'm nervous about the issues it might develop. Vintage stuff is always a bit of a gamble in my experience and money is tight.

Calreqs are definitely a special breed. In a class all of there own. 
Are you looking for a tone box or something with some flexibility in routing?  Amek Tac’s are pretty versatile and have some decent pres. I think I saw ceephax use one on a video on his YouTube channel.  Audix MXT’s are another less spoken about board that uses neve transformers and is a nice little sidecar. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, never underestimate the Boss Bx-8 or -16. Definitely has some charm and they’re cheap as hell. Only fault with it is that it has no mutes but otherwise a competent techno workhorse. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not mixer related but while on the topic of saw ii, I thought it was interesting that rich said he was worried he would have had to bake the beta tapes in order to have a high quality copy of stone in focus. Wonder if he was for real dumping masters back then to beta. They have more width and thus more headroom than most tape formats. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 6:55 PM, bandenoire said:

Calreqs are definitely a special breed. In a class all of there own. 
Are you looking for a tone box or something with some flexibility in routing?  Amek Tac’s are pretty versatile and have some decent pres. I think I saw ceephax use one on a video on his YouTube channel.  Audix MXT’s are another less spoken about board that uses neve transformers and is a nice little sidecar. 

That's the hard question isn't it. Really want both but probably not gonna get that. Right now my dream desk would be the APB pro desk 8.... They are rare as fuck and I can't afford it right now. 

So I'm currently thinking Allen heath gl2*** 24 track to cover some of my routing needs (as they are pretty readily available and I had A&h in the 90s and loved it as a kiddo) and then maybe something like a BX (or something else small) for flavour. 

I've been recording straight into a 16 channel UAD soundcard for years because of space issues, now I've got the space I'm gone into mixer anxiety so any help with this is appreciated as I'm totally narked off with the current setup. (I dunno what's wrong with me, I'm fine with synths and modules and stuff, no issue at all, I guess it's easier to get a feel for tho)

19 hours ago, bandenoire said:

Not mixer related but while on the topic of saw ii, I thought it was interesting that rich said he was worried he would have had to bake the beta tapes in order to have a high quality copy of stone in focus. Wonder if he was for real dumping masters back then to beta. They have more width and thus more headroom than most tape formats. 

I can believe it, fancy recording tech was less available back then, still cool and inspiring tho.

Edited by donquixote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I was saying to Donquixote, I understand he was using a BX with an Irate drum machine in lanner. Here is what it sounds like with some Quadrave RB on RS and CL and missing the tape compression.

There is one bar of Ageispolis spliced in to some similar patterns for immediate comparison and a spectrogram of both. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pm8ryjgr3ukjtcc/Ageispolis DRUM machine MIXER.zip?dl=0

Screenshot 2019-12-08 at 19.10.50.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...