IGNORED

RTR - PlanetX [AF028LP]

gated

1 hour ago, StephenG said:

You need to invest in some qtips hunny 

honestly, do a side by side with any of these tracks and the official steinvord tracks (most of the fake ones were by “other artists”, one was an afx solo track I’m told)

Which one was the "solo afx"? 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These are my thoughts too. I feel that way about 2/3 of what AF has been releasing recently. This reminds me of when that Daed record came out and people got really excited because the production was so good. It feels like someone spent a lot of time trying to make something that sounds "impressive" instead of actually expressing their creativity. I think this artist could make something i really enjoy. It's not bad (other than the Behringer clone of Vordhosbn) and i'm more annoyed with the marketing on the labels behalf than anything.
yeah sorry but gotta agree

15 hours ago, omnii said:

This is just so tiring to me. It was cute back in the days of Heorge Garrison but the persistence of BWE has really made it obnoxious now. This is cliche AF.

Finally someone! 

14 hours ago, ReVoodle said:

Also, I don't really understand all the talk about what this album sounds like or should sound like. It's a fucking killer album and I'm stoked that I can finally throw down for some downloads. 

I know StephenG already threw some info about the marketing style, but personally although this "Hi, I'm spanish braindance guy....hmmm, could I be steinvord?" act annoys the hell out of me, it wouldn't stop me from buying this, if I considered the product good. afxafxafxafxafxafx youtube account didn't stop me from drooling all over HG tracks, but they are genuinely great tracks. From this one, I can only get nice breaks, but that's all. Most, if not all, of the melodies put me straight off. There isn't a black enough worm whole to throw you to a such parallel universe where you could find track like Aurevoir-R in a steinvord album.

I'm also pretty tired of the clone wars of steinvordish stuff (yeah, ranted about it numerous times before...). Was little worried that I've lost the ability to enjoy at all about stuff like that, but drukqs and steinvord still sound great. But bewwip, 4th, Rognvald, AF roster...eh whatever. Be Up A Hello sounds very promising though. You either have it or don't, I guess...Just listen to Vortrack mix!

14 hours ago, ReVoodle said:

For sure. I guess I missed the marketing. Just saw it released today and had to grab it. I'm of the opinion that it's hard to get your music out there with all the noise on the internet, so I don't fault anybody for doing what they have to do to get their shit heard, even if I disagree morally.  

Very true. In instance,I haven't seen much buzz around Netsh, but imo, this breaky track alone is better than this whole RTR album: https://netshmusic.bandcamp.com/track/yobmot-invert

ergle. I think I've swung through 17 pendulum swings, the 5 stages of grief, the heroes journey, a miltonian jaunt through hell with this one (that's hyperbole, I've not really listened to it more than a few times, but have listened carefully, and had lots of thoughts about it). Part of what makes this hard is, as people have noted: when someone makes what appears to be a concerted effort to make people think they might be Aphex/Squarepusher, etc. it sets up a whole load of presets in my mind (some of them good: like being willing to give music more of a chance because I have so often been rewarded with these artists by doing so. Some of them not so good: me wondering if maybe I'm liking this because I think it's someone but not because I really like it? Also, expecting a certain level of quality from these particular folks - something that has gotten in the way in the past with some of [ ] stuffs that I should have just enjoyed).

It's weird. I feel like we're (me at any rate, but I think a fair amount of people here too) always going on about how we'd like to hear Squarepusher return to the Venus 17-ish era. Then you hear a track like Reward which is, essentially, a Venus 17ish era squarepusher track and, for me, I'm both enjoying it, judging whether or not it's as good as I want it to be, whether or not this person is/is not Squarepusher/and trying to figure out how they are doing this. It makes for an uncomfortable listening experience. 

In the end, though, that's all my attachments, unfortunately stoked by the promotion for this (which, can I really fault someone making what is, in a way, an album tailored to the proclivities of WATMM? I mean, fuck, the guy's name is RTR. . . .) 

Here's my gut take: The beat programming here is phenomenal on several tracks, and I'd pay money to have tutorial on how they were made*. It's the sort of drum programming I've always aspired to but never been able to figure out and, if I had made this, I would be extremely proud of it. The production quality is tops, and reflects someone who is highly familiar with their gear/programs, and how to get what they want out of it (no mean feat, particularly when what you want to get out of it is so specific in the way it's mangled). 

If I can divest myself of any expectations of who made this, I find many parts that I truly enjoy. The aforementioned Reward, Untitled 21, MFSIYFF are lovely tracks, Untilien is some great Go Plastic era [ ] < sounding stuff. I'm glad that I bought this, and absolutely would pay money for it again (if only to encourage the artist to make more music). There are some other parts, including whole songs (e.g., Firevolt) that I did not enjoy, and probably never will. I feel like this album would have been better as an EP, or having let some tracks cook for a little longer (Aurevoir for example). 

I fear that, in three weeks, much less a  year from now, I won't remember any of these tracks. I don't know if that's because of lack of dedication on my part to them, or because there is something missing. It's probably going to be a mix, but I'm not sure the ratio. If the latter, it may be melody - I honestly can't, having just listened to it, call back any melody line to my mind. A stark contrast to almost any Aphex song, which somehow embeds itself in your brain almost immediately. 

I hope this person continues to make more music, but I hope that the next thing is NOT more like this (which is ironic, as I feel like I'm always bitching about wanting more Braindance stuffs) but something that spins off in a completely diff direction. 

*I'm not joking btw. RTR if you're reading this set up a patreon account and I'm in...

18 minutes ago, Uros said:

The plot thickens. This is how legends are made...

maybe I should invest in some qtips too or then we are listening to a different record....the comments :cerious::cerious::cerious:

Kids these days...

Where is the deceptive marketing by AF?? The only suggestions I've seen of RTR being an alias of someone else have been from listeners.

Don't really care who it is. It sounds like Steinvord but whether it's him or not doesn't change how my enjoyment of it, and I haven't seen anything underhanded from Analogical Force that would take away from that.

1 minute ago, forcefielder said:

Where is the deceptive marketing by AF?? 

I think all of the deceptive mktg was by the artist themselves tbh, I don't think AF did anything wrong. 

Archived