gated

RTR - PlanetX [AF028LP]

Posted (edited)

ergle. I think I've swung through 17 pendulum swings, the 5 stages of grief, the heroes journey, a miltonian jaunt through hell with this one (that's hyperbole, I've not really listened to it more than a few times, but have listened carefully, and had lots of thoughts about it). Part of what makes this hard is, as people have noted: when someone makes what appears to be a concerted effort to make people think they might be Aphex/Squarepusher, etc. it sets up a whole load of presets in my mind (some of them good: like being willing to give music more of a chance because I have so often been rewarded with these artists by doing so. Some of them not so good: me wondering if maybe I'm liking this because I think it's someone but not because I really like it? Also, expecting a certain level of quality from these particular folks - something that has gotten in the way in the past with some of [ ] stuffs that I should have just enjoyed).

It's weird. I feel like we're (me at any rate, but I think a fair amount of people here too) always going on about how we'd like to hear Squarepusher return to the Venus 17-ish era. Then you hear a track like Reward which is, essentially, a Venus 17ish era squarepusher track and, for me, I'm both enjoying it, judging whether or not it's as good as I want it to be, whether or not this person is/is not Squarepusher/and trying to figure out how they are doing this. It makes for an uncomfortable listening experience. 

In the end, though, that's all my attachments, unfortunately stoked by the promotion for this (which, can I really fault someone making what is, in a way, an album tailored to the proclivities of WATMM? I mean, fuck, the guy's name is RTR. . . .) 

Here's my gut take: The beat programming here is phenomenal on several tracks, and I'd pay money to have tutorial on how they were made*. It's the sort of drum programming I've always aspired to but never been able to figure out and, if I had made this, I would be extremely proud of it. The production quality is tops, and reflects someone who is highly familiar with their gear/programs, and how to get what they want out of it (no mean feat, particularly when what you want to get out of it is so specific in the way it's mangled). 

If I can divest myself of any expectations of who made this, I find many parts that I truly enjoy. The aforementioned Reward, Untitled 21, MFSIYFF are lovely tracks, Untilien is some great Go Plastic era [ ] < sounding stuff. I'm glad that I bought this, and absolutely would pay money for it again (if only to encourage the artist to make more music). There are some other parts, including whole songs (e.g., Firevolt) that I did not enjoy, and probably never will. I feel like this album would have been better as an EP, or having let some tracks cook for a little longer (Aurevoir for example). 

I fear that, in three weeks, much less a  year from now, I won't remember any of these tracks. I don't know if that's because of lack of dedication on my part to them, or because there is something missing. It's probably going to be a mix, but I'm not sure the ratio. If the latter, it may be melody - I honestly can't, having just listened to it, call back any melody line to my mind. A stark contrast to almost any Aphex song, which somehow embeds itself in your brain almost immediately. 

I hope this person continues to make more music, but I hope that the next thing is NOT more like this (which is ironic, as I feel like I'm always bitching about wanting more Braindance stuffs) but something that spins off in a completely diff direction. 

*I'm not joking btw. RTR if you're reading this set up a patreon account and I'm in...

Edited by T3551ER
repeated word/OCD
  • Like 4

Look what popped up when I searched for RTR in my Bandcamp collection...

Haha

7E573006-AEE7-46A5-BC02-BF8A9268AD67.jpeg

3EC3CD49-7248-471C-A117-7CAAD73B3270.jpeg

• Haha 4

No.

Maybe tom and rich are getting into AI these days and taught it to render tracks in their stylings and out plopped AF028 in all of its derivativeness

“Reward” is one hellofa tune.

2 hours ago, user303 said:

the story that RTR = HG = Steinvord is coming long:

https://youtu.be/WjWvZx1q_5k

The plot thickens. This is how legends are made...

maybe I should invest in some qtips too or then we are listening to a different record....the comments :cerious::cerious::cerious:

18 minutes ago, Uros said:

The plot thickens. This is how legends are made...

maybe I should invest in some qtips too or then we are listening to a different record....the comments :cerious::cerious::cerious:

Kids these days...

this is all becoming just one big turn off

for me, I mean

• Like 2

spacer.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, T3551ER said:

ergle. I think I've swung through 17 pendulum swings, the 5 stages of grief, the heroes journey, a miltonian jaunt through hell with this one (that's hyperbole, I've not really listened to it more than a few times, but have listened carefully, and had lots of thoughts about it). Part of what makes this hard is, as people have noted: when someone makes what appears to be a concerted effort to make people think they might be Aphex/Squarepusher, etc. it sets up a whole load of presets in my mind (some of them good: like being willing to give music more of a chance because I have so often been rewarded with these artists by doing so. Some of them not so good: me wondering if maybe I'm liking this because I think it's someone but not because I really like it? Also, expecting a certain level of quality from these particular folks - something that has gotten in the way in the past with some of [ ] stuffs that I should have just enjoyed).

It's weird. I feel like we're (me at any rate, but I think a fair amount of people here too) always going on about how we'd like to hear Squarepusher return to the Venus 17-ish era. Then you hear a track like Reward which is, essentially, a Venus 17ish era squarepusher track and, for me, I'm both enjoying it, judging whether or not it's as good as I want it to be, whether or not this person is/is not Squarepusher/and trying to figure out how they are doing this. It makes for an uncomfortable listening experience. 

In the end, though, that's all my attachments, unfortunately stoked by the promotion for this (which, can I really fault someone making what is, in a way, an album tailored to the proclivities of WATMM? I mean, fuck, the guy's name is RTR. . . .) 

Here's my gut take: The beat programming here is phenomenal on several tracks, and I'd pay money to have tutorial on how they were made*. It's the sort of drum programming I've always aspired to but never been able to figure out and, if I had made this, I would be extremely proud of it. The production quality is tops, and reflects someone who is highly familiar with their gear/programs, and how to get what they want out of it (no mean feat, particularly when what you want to get out of it is so specific in the way it's mangled). 

If I can divest myself of any expectations of who made this, I find many parts that I truly enjoy. The aforementioned Reward, Untitled 21, MFSIYFF are lovely tracks, Untilien is some great Go Plastic era [ ] < sounding stuff. I'm glad that I bought this, and absolutely would pay money for it again (if only to encourage the artist to make more music). There are some other parts, including whole songs (e.g., Firevolt) that I did not enjoy, and probably never will. I feel like this album would have been better as an EP, or having let some tracks cook for a little longer (Aurevoir for example). 

I fear that, in three weeks, much less a  year from now, I won't remember any of these tracks. I don't know if that's because of lack of dedication on my part to them, or because there is something missing. It's probably going to be a mix, but I'm not sure the ratio. If the latter, it may be melody - I honestly can't, having just listened to it, call back any melody line to my mind. A stark contrast to almost any Aphex song, which somehow embeds itself in your brain almost immediately. 

I hope this person continues to make more music, but I hope that the next thing is NOT more like this (which is ironic, as I feel like I'm always bitching about wanting more Braindance stuffs) but something that spins off in a completely diff direction. 

*I'm not joking btw. RTR if you're reading this set up a patreon account and I'm in...

Dude 

The drums on your last album / EP were great, with original sounding processing and sequencing .. this thread is evidence that we don't need more of the same drum effects that are on display here .

This RTR release is full of great moments and accomplished sequencing but I look forward to more original sounding sound design ideas from this artist , as I do from you . 

I could type the same thing in the braindance bass thread but just imagine that the sentiments I typed here are also in that thread instead 

• Like 1

Where is the deceptive marketing by AF?? The only suggestions I've seen of RTR being an alias of someone else have been from listeners.

Don't really care who it is. It sounds like Steinvord but whether it's him or not doesn't change how my enjoyment of it, and I haven't seen anything underhanded from Analogical Force that would take away from that.

It’s really too bad that this is the last RTR album ever, given that it was Qasem Soleimani’s stage name. RIP.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, forcefielder said:

Where is the deceptive marketing by AF?? 

I think all of the deceptive mktg was by the artist themselves tbh, I don't think AF did anything wrong. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StephenG said:

I think all of the deceptive mktg was by the artist themselves tbh, I don't think AF did anything wrong. 

“AF did nothing wrong!” cried Big McLargeHuge, as Analogical Force revealed it had been operation since the beginning of the 20th century and singlehandedly encouraged Hitler through subliminal use of the Ondes Martenot, which would go on to inspire countless IDM chemtrail truthers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

so many of the tracks on this album are just mediocre ripoffs of good steinvord tracks. feels so soulless. reward is p cool though.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

thanks rtr. this is good stuff

edit: found a video

Edited by very honest
  • Like 2

Reward is a top track, my fav from this release for sure. 

Very gourd 

2 hours ago, StephenG said:

Reward is a top track, my fav from this release for sure. 

Very gourd 

agree

Posted (edited)

untilienx5 at volume is pretty brutal.

Edited by very honest
  • Farnsworth 1

I dig the first track . Lovely restraint and scarcity with that beautiful melody 

spacer.png

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, prdctvsm said:

spacer.png

Brazzers ©

• Haha 1

I think it's kind of a misguided nostalgia thing. Everyone wants to relive that mind-blowing moment the first time you heard Drukqs, Go Plastic, etc. But the fact is that any time someone tries to recapture that feeling, it falls a bit short some way or another. It's always more exciting to hear something fresh and different, hence why the artists who originally founded the style have largely moved on. 

To use a video game analogy, people often laud Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night as the pinnacles of 2D gaming, so much so that indie developers have absolutely flooded the market with countless metroidvania games, and while many of them are good, some great, none are ever going to be able to recapture the feeling of playing Super Metroid for the first time. 

Of course this isn't an airtight explanation, and there are always exceptions to everything, but I think this Steinvord obsession falls into the same general category. 

• Like 3