IGNORED

RTR - PlanetX [AF028LP]

gated

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/6/2020 at 5:09 PM, NI64 said:

I think it's kind of a misguided nostalgia thing. Everyone wants to relive that mind-blowing moment the first time you heard Drukqs, Go Plastic, etc. But the fact is that any time someone tries to recapture that feeling, it falls a bit short some way or another. It's always more exciting to hear something fresh and different, hence why the artists who originally founded the style have largely moved on. 

To use a video game analogy, people often laud Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night as the pinnacles of 2D gaming, so much so that indie developers have absolutely flooded the market with countless metroidvania games, and while many of them are good, some great, none are ever going to be able to recapture the feeling of playing Super Metroid for the first time. 

Of course this isn't an airtight explanation, and there are always exceptions to everything, but I think this Steinvord obsession falls into the same general category. 

Philosophers cognized about it quite a bit actually! Oldest writtings that i know of are those of Socrat.

Itz all about tast! At the end all we have is our taset as artists but as Kant says: “Taste is quite ruined by imitation, a fertile source of all prejudices, since one borrows everything, thinks nothing of a beauty that one might be able to invent and come up with oneself, as (compared to) what others have already thought up and have previously cognized, and what is considered beauty by these people. If, therefore, everyone wanted to try, not so much always to imitate, but rather to be an original himself, then we  would certainly soon see the greatest geniuses, who would be sublime and great in judgments of taste.” 

“Of all the things that can only harm and be opposed to the philosophical (and artistic) spirit, the spirit of imitation is always actually the worst. Imitation is the cultivation of one's understanding, his will, indeed, of his choice, according to the example of others; if, namely, one is not skilled in thinking for oneself, then one takes refuge in others and copies from them completely faithfully, as the painter copies the original, except that this portrayal is frequently quite unfitting, indeed, comical.” (Uncanny valley stuff?! Lol)

For Kant, the genius combines two qualities: on the one hand, "a talent for producing that for which no rule can be given," so that "originality must be its primary property"; however, "since there may also be original nonsense its products must at the same time be models, i.e., be exemplary; and consequently though not them selves derived from imitation, they must serve that purpose for others, i.e., as a standard or rule for estimating.” On the basis of this exemplary originality, then, a genius puts "freedom from constraint of rules so into force in his art, that for art itself a new rule is won which is what shows a talent to be exemplary".

-- imma-newl cunt

Well, not all of us can be genius level talented but what he says is that itz a moral thing if we try.

26 minutes ago, very honest said:

not beatwife. a spanish guy achieved the AI singularity predicted by the mayans in 2012, and the new earthly silicon god decided it wanted to do this with its time. occam's razor.

I think you could be right 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived