IGNORED

Braindance Bass Technique?

T3551ER

Curious to see if any of you lot have thoughts about how to get this sort of bass sound (it's that liquidy 303ish hyperspeed bass that shows up in a lot of braindance-y tracks) - shamelessly recreating someone else's thread from another forum here which sparked my interest but I'm not sure actually answered the question (or maybe it did!):

yeah it's all in the sequencing really. usually though when i'm doing this style of bass it's not something i spend ages manually programming in - better to just jam on a keyboard, maybe do some overdubs until you end up with a nice groove, then just go back and edit out any overlapping or bad notes etc.

for "fast" sequences, i often turn the tempo down to record in the live notes using a keyboard, then set back to 150 or whatever once i'm happy with the sequence.

I used to have a different firmware on my x0xb0x and the one thing I miss is it had variable gate length. when you turned the gate down to around 25% you got stuff that sounded like the acid version of a Stevie Wonder clavinet line. you can do that per step in the beatsteo pro and I think that's one if the main things making that example sound different from a typical 303 line.

Thnx to all! @TubularCorporation - yah, ok, that makes sense.  There is something here that def feels diff than the traditional 303 sound and that's prob it (or at least a part) - will experiment w/ this when I have some time

14 hours ago, perunamuussi said:

low cut off, hi res, short decay on filter, key tracking?

Apologies for black hole like density - is there a particular parameter you'd tie to key tracking? I'm guessing the filter cutoff, but not sure. 

Appreciate all the replies here, btw - very helpful to get some insight into this process!

Edit: @BCM Yeah, like doing the same with beats - slow down the BPM and tap in something I'm happy with and then speed things up. Pro-tip for Renoise users: Typically, new note action is set to cut the prior sound whenever a new note is played, which gave me lots of headaches for years when trying to slow down a track, tap in a beat, and then speed things up. The resulting sound would be extremely staccato (in a not intended way). The solution was to change the new note action to "continue" which continues to play the sound even when another note is inputted. 

Yep. Cut off tied to key tracking. Lots of short notes, portamento. Square wave for that fatter rubbery kind of sound would help... this is based on listening to a bit of that tech diff vid on phone speaker

Modular can be quite good at this stuff eg. Metropolis can have its aux modulation inputs assigned to gate length.  It might be worth looking at some of the software clones and sequencers that follow a modular paradigm.    

Archived