IGNORED

Does IDM Music sound better in WAV/FLAC quality?

President Squidward

1 hour ago, rhmilo said:

Or you could look at the algorithm, verify that is indeed lossless and get on with your day.

It’s just math, after all. And just as 1 + 1 = 2 even after you’ve tried it a billion times, so too the FLAC algorithm is lossless very single time you run it.

perhaps so, as all evidence i've seen supports this. i don't understand the software/math involved enough to say for sure...but i can't help but wonder....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, oscillik said:

it depends on what font size you use though

Exactly.

And that is all FLAC is, really. You surround your audio data with a <font size=“8px”> tag. This makes the file smaller. Remove the font tag and you have your original audio back.

Its really who did the ripping. Pirate MFSL or find someone who  is known for great rips from vinyl. Or you could go crazy and buy the wav. If you have a great system you'll feel the difference, but who the fuck am I

On 1/5/2020 at 9:08 AM, aencre said:

This thread made me put on Alvin Lucier's I am sitting in a room.

Which, funnily, I only have a lossy rip of.

Once did that with a friend and used the resonant frequency as tonic for a track. No idea what happened to that recording though.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad music sounds bad in most bitrates, might sound better if you absolutely crush it. Good music tends to be good regardless.

I guess there's some microhouse and minimal glitch stuff with reaaally high frequency beeps and glops that would indeed sound better in wav/flac. Wait, thats not IDM. Shame on me.

Yes but purchasing your FLACs makes them sound a little "heavier" than pirated FLACs.

I guess what i mean is they FEEL a little heavier.

Feeling the weight of the music on your wallet AND in lossless quality simultaneously makes the tunes SOUND better.

I guess the short answer is: It's a feeling.

This is true, it's all about the feeling. I'm always on edge, unable to really listen unless I've paid for the highest possible quality, out of fear of missing out on some hiss or high fidelity whine that I would've been able to hear a decade ago.

On 1/16/2020 at 4:01 PM, Wurstwasser said:

The less bitrate u use, the more it is IDM.

0 Bits/second is the absolute crown of all IDMs. It's called the caustic window.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived