IGNORED

KORG Has Brought the ARP 2600 Back!

Joyrex

I've considered the TTSH a few times but after like three years of it only being available when I didn't have the money I lost interest.

Of course back then there was no kit, it was about $1k for a front panel and bare PCB with little or no documentation, and you had to source all of the parts and build a case yourself. Which I'd tackle now but wasn't ready for back then.

But now I've got other stuff to work on.  Still would love a TTSH some day.

• Joyrex changed the title to KORG Has Brought the ARP 2600 Back!
11 minutes ago, xox said:

Will this analog dream-walking ever end?! 

Not as long as there's a market with people who think the hardware makes the difference in whether a song sounds better

37 minutes ago, Braintree said:

For $3.9k, I'm better off investing in a eurorack modular.

But I'm sure at that amount it will just make any music composed with it sound better!

11 hours ago, psn said:

Yeah, I only got the panel and PCBs from THC. 

Yeah, if full kits are even available now it wasn't until the last couple years.  Back then the most complicated thing I'd built was a x0xb0x.

At this point I'd build a bunch of Serge style modules instead.

8 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Not as long as there's a market with people who think the hardware makes the difference in whether a song sounds better

I don't know anything about "better" but hardware and software definitely sound a lot different to me.  I use both.

On 1/11/2020 at 6:24 AM, TubularCorporation said:

I don't know anything about "better" but hardware and software definitely sound a lot different to me.  I use both.

Probably also that the reason these pieces of gear are famous is that someone took them and made something amazing with the things. There is no reason you could not take a random piece of gear and do the same today.

Actually I forgot where I was going with this post...

3 hours ago, thawkins said:

Probably also that the reason these pieces of gear are famous is that someone took them and made something amazing with the things. There is no reason you could not take a random piece of gear and do the same today.

Actually I forgot where I was going with this post...

i guess that it's not worth the money?

On 1/10/2020 at 1:08 PM, Braintree said:

For $3.9k, I'm better off investing in a eurorack modular.

apples and oranges really.  it's really hard to emulate a 2600 in eurorack if that's the sound someone wants. eurorack is way better at so many other things than being a vintage analog emulator. 2600 is a complete instrument that does a thing.. many things. 

but i also would just invest in eurorack because it's so flexible and sound design abilities are immense. 

these clones and reissues etc are just for people who always wanted a certain synth and couldn't afford it or didn't want to deal w/a vintage instrument that is quirky and could break at any moment.  "a chance to own a legend"

with all these reissues the youtube clips of dad-bod pudgy white dudes in their den playing the intro or synth part of their fav epic prog rock tune or 80s new wave tune will continue to swallow the bandwidth on youtube. 

and that's fine. old people playing their fav song from their youth and reliving the moment is a thing people enjoy.. so be it. 

but, i find all the retro love for it's own sake to just be a fetish. i'm glad korg has a new digital synth coming out even if it is just a wavetable evolution.  hopefully we'll see some more digital stuff. looking at you yamaha. fs1r in 2 octave kb covered in knobs would be dope. 

i think there will be people who just go all out punk techno and are stoked to have access to decent sounding inexpensive hardware for jamming and gigging and that kind of thing can lead to something cool in the younger generation ay? 

$3900 for a full sized legit arp 1 to 1 clone is not a bad deal though. vintage 2600s are selling for $7k-10k ish. we sold one at work w/the KB for just under $8k a month or so ago. 

Archived