The Most Plaid Sounding Autechre Song?

President Squidward

Okay so I think everyone knows I'm a big fan of Plaid and how they're best IDM act I've listened to, but I also really love Autechre, and been thinking of songs from their varied discography that sounds closest to Plaid, and so far I feel Melve is an easy one, and for some reason Chimer 1-5-1 reminds me of a collab track with Plaid, since the main beat reminds me of the kind of softer sounding beats Plaid does in albums like The Digging Remedy.

You got any others, guys?

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 5:15 AM, BobDobalina said:

?

Stop Look Listen from We Are Reasonable People comp surely

I disagree. Plaid almost never has two- or more-part songs. Their songs are always based and expanding on one polyphonic idea. Stop Look Listen has (at least) three distinctive parts, it's like a miniature symphony in structure. Nothing like Plaid ever did.

I don't really know if I can define that "Plaid-sound"... what should that be like? I can't recall anything from Ae that sounds like "Rakimou" tbh... there are some tracks of both artists that have chimes-sounds and polyphony, but I could call those Plaid-tracks also "Autechre-like" with the same relevancy.

But I think the basic vibe and approach of the two are very different. Like 'em both.

Edited by Chabraendeky
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chabraendeky said:

I disagree. Plaid almost never has two- or more-part songs. Their songs are always based and expanding on one polyphonic idea. Stop Look Listen has (at least) three distinctive parts, it's like a miniature symphony in structure. Nothing like Plaid ever did.

I don't really know if I can define that "Plaid-sound"... what should that be like? I can't recall anything from Ae that sounds like "Rakimou" tbh... there are some tracks of both artists that have chimes-sounds and polyphony, but I could call those Plaid-tracks also "Autechre-like" with the same relevancy.

But I think the basic vibe and approach of the two are very different. Like 'em both.

Ayyy well let's just agree to disagree then, I made that post literally 9 minutes after the OP and twas just the first thing that fired through my THC-addled neurons (and probably just that happy pling-plong melody in the beginning at that). It just sounds plaid-ish IMHO, no burden of proof on these slouchy shoulders.

Pretty much everything you posted there is right, I agree that the 'chre Bros and Plaid Pals approach composition and structure very differently and that it's reflected in their respective sounds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Draft78 said:

it seems to me that the paths of Plaid and Ae have approached with Chirality / can't kill us remixes and syptixed ...at least rhythmically

just realized how amazing of avtrack Syptixed is as a track, gonna raise my 8 to a 10/10 ? 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, Amen Lare said:

The fifth track at Coachella gig (an unreleased one starting at 23:41 in the video) feel super-Plaidy to me, tho i haven't systematically listened to Plaid

hey, ooh.... did not listened to this live cut so far...very different ... it's the first time I hear Ae playing distinctive album (/ep) tracks in a liveset.... like it could almost (I said almost 😉 )be a dj set... interesting, !   like,...we have "glitch" from amber  and then "iss-sa" back to back, in a '99 set.... and wait...."blifill" with a mc on top  .... weird  😉

edit : well yes in the untilted / quaristice livesets we get some bits of versions of album tracks, but not as much as in there

edit 2 :still comes with a couple of on-purpose unreleased wicked ae tracks 🙂

edit 3 : ...after deeper listen : actually not shure if it's a dj set with some fx/cut/complex beat repeat stuff on the desks,   or a real liveset in wich midi sequences and samples and synths presets sticks to the original track parts, (or even audio render of tracks parts with just live mixing/dubbing....)  clue anyone ?

Edited by neurone