IGNORED

The Most Plaid Sounding Autechre Song?

President Squidward

Okay so I think everyone knows I'm a big fan of Plaid and how they're best IDM act I've listened to, but I also really love Autechre, and been thinking of songs from their varied discography that sounds closest to Plaid, and so far I feel Melve is an easy one, and for some reason Chimer 1-5-1 reminds me of a collab track with Plaid, since the main beat reminds me of the kind of softer sounding beats Plaid does in albums like The Digging Remedy.

You got any others, guys?

On 1/15/2020 at 5:15 AM, BobDobalina said:

?

Stop Look Listen from We Are Reasonable People comp surely

I disagree. Plaid almost never has two- or more-part songs. Their songs are always based and expanding on one polyphonic idea. Stop Look Listen has (at least) three distinctive parts, it's like a miniature symphony in structure. Nothing like Plaid ever did.

I don't really know if I can define that "Plaid-sound"... what should that be like? I can't recall anything from Ae that sounds like "Rakimou" tbh... there are some tracks of both artists that have chimes-sounds and polyphony, but I could call those Plaid-tracks also "Autechre-like" with the same relevancy.

But I think the basic vibe and approach of the two are very different. Like 'em both.

12 minutes ago, Chabraendeky said:

I disagree. Plaid almost never has two- or more-part songs. Their songs are always based and expanding on one polyphonic idea. Stop Look Listen has (at least) three distinctive parts, it's like a miniature symphony in structure. Nothing like Plaid ever did.

I don't really know if I can define that "Plaid-sound"... what should that be like? I can't recall anything from Ae that sounds like "Rakimou" tbh... there are some tracks of both artists that have chimes-sounds and polyphony, but I could call those Plaid-tracks also "Autechre-like" with the same relevancy.

But I think the basic vibe and approach of the two are very different. Like 'em both.

Ayyy well let's just agree to disagree then, I made that post literally 9 minutes after the OP and twas just the first thing that fired through my THC-addled neurons (and probably just that happy pling-plong melody in the beginning at that). It just sounds plaid-ish IMHO, no burden of proof on these slouchy shoulders.

Pretty much everything you posted there is right, I agree that the 'chre Bros and Plaid Pals approach composition and structure very differently and that it's reflected in their respective sounds.

1 hour ago, Draft78 said:

it seems to me that the paths of Plaid and Ae have approached with Chirality / can't kill us remixes and syptixed ...at least rhythmically

just realized how amazing of avtrack Syptixed is as a track, gonna raise my 8 to a 10/10 ? 

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, Amen Lare said:

The fifth track at Coachella gig (an unreleased one starting at 23:41 in the video) feel super-Plaidy to me, tho i haven't systematically listened to Plaid

hey, ooh.... did not listened to this live cut so far...very different ... it's the first time I hear Ae playing distinctive album (/ep) tracks in a liveset.... like it could almost (I said almost ? )be a dj set... interesting, !   like,...we have "glitch" from amber  and then "iss-sa" back to back, in a '99 set.... and wait...."blifill" with a mc on top  .... weird  ?

edit : well yes in the untilted / quaristice livesets we get some bits of versions of album tracks, but not as much as in there

edit 2 :still comes with a couple of on-purpose unreleased wicked ae tracks ?

edit 3 : ...after deeper listen : actually not shure if it's a dj set with some fx/cut/complex beat repeat stuff on the desks,   or a real liveset in wich midi sequences and samples and synths presets sticks to the original track parts, (or even audio render of tracks parts with just live mixing/dubbing....)  clue anyone ?

• 1 month later...

Archived