IGNORED

Vladislav Delay - Rakka

Extralife

The more I listen to it the more it strikes me as too much on the nose.

Repeated deep listening is not really rewarded. It’s about as subtle and multi-layered as, say, modern day “industrial techno” only not as danceable.

On 3/2/2020 at 1:58 AM, rhmilo said:

The more I listen to it the more it strikes me as too much on the nose.

Repeated deep listening is not really rewarded. It’s about as subtle and multi-layered as, say, modern day “industrial techno” only not as danceable.

Huh, that’s funny! I’m definitely not sure yet, but I was thinking the opposite!

Agreed that on a surface level it’s a bit “HERE IS MY ANGRY ALBUM” and somewhat obvious. But the production touches are pretty unusual throughout, has been my feeling.

4 minutes ago, ascdi said:

Agreed that on a surface level it’s a bit “HERE IS MY ANGRY ALBUM” and somewhat obvious. But the production touches are pretty unusual throughout, has been my feeling.

That's definitely my opinion on first hearing (only heard it though once mind) - Like all the 'angry' bits are mixed just behind all the ambient-y and bass-y bits: an ambient drone album fighting against the sound of actual military drones.

3 hours ago, ascdi said:

Huh, that’s funny! I’m definitely not sure yet, but I was thinking the opposite!

Maybe I should listen to it a bit more ... but once the novelty of hearing an angry album in the Ripati style wore off it felt like that was all there was. 

Maybe I’m just spoiled. As if it’s the most ordinary thing in the world that an angry Ripati album exists in the first place.

1 hour ago, dr lopez said:

if i wanted sexy finnish electronics id just listen to Aleksi Perälä

1 hour ago, dr lopez said:

if i wanted finnish power noise electronics id just listen to Aprapat

Edited by Soloman Tump

12 hours ago, mcbpete said:

That's definitely my opinion on first hearing (only heard it though once mind) - Like all the 'angry' bits are mixed just behind all the ambient-y and bass-y bits: an ambient drone album fighting against the sound of actual military drones.

Agreed, well said! 

7 hours ago, dr lopez said:

if i wanted angry finnish electronics id just listen to pan sonic

Not sure if this was just a tossed-off comment, but I love Pan Sonic, and I don’t think this album sounds _anything_ like Pan Sonic! Their palette is much more “ordinary” (again, I love them) than this record, imo. This record is like, angry… but impressionistic. Or something

The more I listen to it the more I like it. The production is really interesting I think, and it does a wonderful job of describing the desolate, harsh scenes of barren wilderness.

i think this, along with Visa are albums that V has been trying to make for his entire career.

I’m not sure why everyone seems to be describing this as his first “angry” album. Sistol / Uusitalo got plenty of angry stuff, as did the Ripatti release (which everyone should check out). 

I’m really looking forward to hearing the Sly & Robbie stuff. I think it will be fabulous. 

Loving this one.  I'm not sure if its music or assault, but its great. Visceral AF.  Rakkine is some sort of perfect encapsulation of the modern world with its frenetic pace.

PS my favorite Vladislav Delay record is probably Kuopio

• 3 weeks later...

Sasu pls.

I'm working on a duo album with a great guitar player from Norway, Eivind Aarset. It's a little bit more towards ambient/drone stuff for a change.

I have tons of material that I might want to finish off, haven't really made up my mind about it yet.

I also started vd5, a quintet with great musicians, a bassist Derek Shirley, Maria Bertel (trombone), Lucio Capece (sax) and Max Loderbauer (buchla). We are slowly working towards an album and playing some concerts.

http://www.datawv.com/2020/03/interview-vladislav-delay_25.html

Edited by perunamuussi
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dr lopez said:

no because they're battered and used and dirty and not valuable

Like YOU!

No I'm sure you are very clean and sexable like Sasu. 

This is all good news.

Edited by Richie Sombrero

how do we feel about the luomo remaster? Sounds good to me, slightly less tinny, hi range has been brought back a little. it's still sounding a little weird at the moment because the original has been seared into my head due to it being one of the best records ever made. i trust sasu to make a good remaster