IGNORED

The Fear Ratio - They Can't Be Saved [SKAM March 2020]

Soloman Tump

Got a copy today. Very solid release which will please Skam fans everywhere. I think I'll be playing this quite a bit.

It's slightly surreal working on stuff while a BBC News Feed plays on one of the office  monitors. And I'm listening to a band called 'The Fear Ratio' whose latest album is called 'They Can't Be Saved'. 

Shivers.

• Like 3

to me this sounds like just another soulless IDM album. it sounds like something that has already been done better 20 years ago. sorry lads

Edited by thumbass
  • Facepalm 1

27 minutes ago, fumi said:

Yeah, fabulous album. It's got a bit of everything in just the right amount. 

impeccable flow yo. lush af. sets itself apart nicely from its predecessor in terms of vibe, too, imo.

fucking LM3 right now liek FUK.

"lol" at the title coming out just at the right time... ?

16 minutes ago, thumbass said:

to me this sounds like just another soulles IDM album. it sounds like something that has already been done better 20 years ago. sorry lads

no.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is so fucking good. Exactly the kind of abstract distorted electro-IDM I love.

Still not in the Skam store though?

• Like 1

idk, i've listened to the previews and some of the full tracks a few times now, a lot of it is just sorta meh. there's a good EPs worth of some very nice tracks in there, LM3, A406, a couple others, but not doing it for me as an album : (

On 3/20/2020 at 8:33 AM, Rubin Farr said:

shirt is nice tho. good color. and the cover art is lovely. 

• Like 1

Easily one of the best releases in this style in years, it's so good, varied, and so well produced.  The sub bass in a few of these tracks begs for a massive sound system.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kiya said:

Easily one of the best releases in this style in years, it's so good, varied, and so well produced.  The sub bass in a few of these tracks begs for a massive sound system.

Yes, you can tell they both have spent a lot of time DJing clubs.  These tracks would slay somewhere like The End (RIP)

• Like 1

I don't like this one ?. And I liked pretty much everything the guys released so far. The sound design is somewhat bland this time. Is this some modular shit or something? Because I've got this issue with acts switching to modular -  it always loses depth to me.

Very lush environment, listen with proper headphones. At times snarling, synth-laden machine funk. Reminiscent of 'Double Figure' by Plaid (this is much darker) with elements of acid, and too many other characteristics to list. Quality release.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's their best and most consistent effort to date. Older releases were a bit hit/miss for me, but this is a good one. To me it's a sort of Ae lite from the chiastic slide period. Which i like. It's not derivative. Just a homage of sorts. To my ears, at least. It's got these slowly moving beats with some melodies in the background and a bunch of distortions and hiss on top of it. Good production. Top stuff, basically.

If you like chiastic slide, you should give this a try.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 12:08 PM, thumbass said:

...it sounds like something that has already been done better 20 years ago. sorry lads

I've only listened to it for the first time today and I see that you have revised your opinion, –BUT– isn't that basically most IDM at this point?

That said, a few tracks in the first half caught my attention in good ways but the track "The Final Version" made me think of your comment as it seemed like run-of-the-mill IDM.

30 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I've only listened to it for the first time today and I see that you have revised your opinion, –BUT– isn't that basically most IDM at this point?

That said, a few tracks in the first half caught my attention in good ways but the track "The Final Version" made me think of your comment as it seemed like run-of-the-mill IDM.

Yeah that's why I disliked it initially. It sounded like derivative ambient idm with a clunky beat aka every single idm downtempo artist these days. But the album grew on me a lot.