Sign in to follow this  
Soloman Tump

The Fear Ratio - They Can't Be Saved [SKAM March 2020]

30 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I've only listened to it for the first time today and I see that you have revised your opinion, –BUT– isn't that basically most IDM at this point?

That said, a few tracks in the first half caught my attention in good ways but the track "The Final Version" made me think of your comment as it seemed like run-of-the-mill IDM.

Yeah that's why I disliked it initially. It sounded like derivative ambient idm with a clunky beat aka every single idm downtempo artist these days. But the album grew on me a lot.

i really like the fear ratio but i definitely enjoy dirty breaks and atmospherics so maybe im a sucker. got TCBS spinning at the moment and enjoying it quite a bit

just want to say that this album is lush, will have to buy it ASAP.

• Like 1

This has been a grower for me, I get the mental image of night time on a tagged subway, traveling thru the SKAM ghetto to meet The Warriors at dawn on Coney Island.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 2:39 PM, kiya said:

Easily one of the best releases in this style in years, it's so good, varied, and so well produced.  The sub bass in a few of these tracks begs for a massive sound system.

Aye. The album didn't really click with me until I played it loud in the car today. (had only listened on headphones before). Great cruisin' music with nice hip-hoppy beatfuckery and huuuge bass/sub-bass on some tracks.

Also, "The Invisible Girl' is one of the most BOC tunes BOC never made.

• Burger 1

aoty. will be hard to top this one

Am I the only one who finds this album utterly boring? I'm still kind of bummed about it as I liked everything they've released before ?. I've listened to this about 10 times and I always have a hard time to sit through the whole thing. It's always when I read the praise in this thread I give it another try otherwise I would completely forget this existed. Still nothing. I want to like it though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eclipsis said:

Am I the only one who finds this album utterly boring? I'm still kind of bummed about it as I liked everything they've released before ?. I've listened to this about 10 times and I always have a hard time to sit through the whole thing. It's always when I read the praise in this thread I give it another try otherwise I would completely forget this existed. Still nothing. I want to like it though.

I like it, just not quite getting the AOTY hype.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eclipsis said:

Am I the only one who finds this album utterly boring?

yeah same, felt very paint by numbers. good sounds, no emotions. i couldn't even finish a lot of the tracks i was so underwhelmed ? they've done some really cool stuff and they had the right ingredients here but... oh well. 

51 minutes ago, Extralife said:

I like it, just not quite getting the AOTY hype.

In this thread? I probably didn't get the memo...

2 hours ago, goDel said:

In this thread? I probably didn't get the memo...

On 3/12/2020 at 9:36 PM, fumi said:

Three listens in now. Album of the Year so far.

10 hours ago, Ayya Khema said:

aoty. will be hard to top this one

I don't know, I'm somewhere between "boring and forgettable" and "AOTY", I think. As I said, it's nice music for drivin' around, but I think I admire it more for the production than for the composition or originality. It's a fun little excursion and definitely sounds good to me when blasted loud.

Posted (edited)

that's a puny tiny micro hype.

size matters yo!

there's more people posting about how underwhelmed they are lol

Edited by goDel

This is a nice release, I do prefer Refuge Of A Twisted Soul / Live EP era stuff though…they have a certain vibe that really appeals to me.

However, this certainly isn't terrible at all. I'm glad there's more to appreciate from the guys

I love this album sober, but stone it does nothing for me.

This is some pretty superb Gescom-flavoured SKAM. Back catalog time.