IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

Creepy...

I think the media and WHO react actually rather calm giving the numbers. (maybe because the death-percentage is not too high?)

I think the actual number of people infected is actually higher than reported. 
This virus spreads way faster and more easily than people seem to be willing to believe. (R= ~3; it spreads almost as easily as the common cold)
And symptoms only start showing after 2 to 14 days. 
Although (so far) it only seems to be fatal for people with a weakened immune system developing into pneumonia and/or kidney failure.
The number of reported infections does seem to keep rising exponentially, with no way to know for sure when (or if) it will start slowing down.
I hope we can slow down the spread and create a treatment before it kills too many, creates too much chaos or even worse mutates. (earliest production of an effective vaccine will probably take at least 6 months)
For now strict quarantines are our only hope of containing it.
Everyone coming from the infected Chinese provinces should be quarantined and separated immediately for at least 1 week to 2 weeks. 
Also people in more infected regions should immediately be obligated to wear FFP2 NR masks and wash their hands with alcohol sanitizers. 

Read that there are 2 confirmed cases in Toronto, now those anti viral surgical masks are a hot item. They've apparently completely sold out across the city, and are being re-sold online for around $100/mask. I can get a 10 pack at my local target for $5.99. Any Canadian watmmers wanna make some money?

• Burger 1

23 hours ago, Candiru said:

They're underreporting deaths in China. Wait for it. 

I hope not. Although building a 1000 bed hospital in 10 days is a bit worrying.  Hope the guys/gals driving the diggers get good payout

spacer.png

• Farnsworth 1

On 1/26/2020 at 12:56 AM, dr lopez said:

So if the mortality rate is low and would only affect the infirm and elderly... are you saying we could eliminate boomers and OAPs in a few months????

Ok boomer is a social engineering device propagated by the surveillance vehicles of the technology industry to make younger generations less distrustful of smartphones and other slaveware.  Don’t buy into it if you value freedom and/or privacy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

Ok boomer is a social engineering device propagated by the surveillance vehicles of the technology industry to make younger generations less distrustful of smartphones and other slaveware.  Don’t buy into it if you value freedom and/or privacy.

ok boomer

Spoiler

:emotawesomepm9: someone was gonna do it :emotawesomepm9:

on topic i've seen a couple of conspiracy theories popping up, naturally. Wuhan was just getting some dangerous pathogen research clearance recently...

https://www.nature.com/news/inside-the-chinese-lab-poised-to-study-world-s-most-dangerous-pathogens-1.21487

Edited by auxien
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, auxien said:

ok boomer

Hide contents

:emotawesomepm9: someone was gonna do it :emotawesomepm9:

on topic i've seen a couple of conspiracy theories popping up, naturally. Wuhan was just getting some dangerous pathogen research clearance recently...

https://www.nature.com/news/inside-the-chinese-lab-poised-to-study-world-s-most-dangerous-pathogens-1.21487

On this note - does anyone know how they found out that this was a new coronavirus within such a short time frame, especially given the symptoms are so similar to other respiratory diseases + the number of infected was reportedly so low? Do they blood test everyone as part of an autopsy? (From what I understand the victims are old or immune compromised, + given the symptoms I would doubt the deaths would cause suspicion...).

I'm not buying into any conspiracy theories necessarily, I'm just interested in how these types of things actually work. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

On this note - does anyone know how they found out that this was a new coronavirus within such a short time frame, especially given the symptoms are so similar to other respiratory diseases + the number of infected was reportedly so low? Do they blood test everyone as part of an autopsy? (From what I understand the victims are old or immune compromised, + given the symptoms I would doubt the deaths would cause suspicion...).

I'm not buying into any conspiracy theories necessarily, I'm just interested in how these types of things actually work. 

someone posted earlier that they looked at it under a microscope and could tell by the structure. 

anyway... death toll at 106.. more than 4000 cases reported. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/wuhan-virus-death-toll-china-cases-coronavirus-12360208

39 minutes ago, ignatius said:

someone posted earlier that they looked at it under a microscope and could tell by the structure. 

anyway... death toll at 106.. more than 4000 cases reported. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/wuhan-virus-death-toll-china-cases-coronavirus-12360208

Yes, I guess I’m just wondering how it would be caught in a country of 1.4 billionish when there is such a small % of people infected and symptoms are so similar to other illnesses. When in the western world we have trouble diagnosing specific diseases sometimes for decades? I guess I’m implying or questioning whether there may be more to this. Or maybe I’ve finally tinfoiled up.

I’m guessing this is because even in a city of 11 million you do not normally get hundreds or even dozens of patients showing up at the same time with the same pneumonia-like symptoms.

(It would probably not be strange to have hundreds of people with pneumonia at any given time, but these would all have a different medical trajectory. In this case, their histories are all the same)

So the you suspect something is going on, you start looking at the blood of these patients for something they have in common and because of SARS and MERS, which are also caused by Corona viruses, a Corona virus is one of the first things you look for.

• Like 1

I understand. I just figured that given the huge population they would in fact have dozens or hundreds showing up with pneumonia like symptoms so this wouldn’t appear to be out of the ordinary. You’re probably right tbh, there’s a commonality next to their medical trajectory that would warrant further investigation ! I wish watmm had an insider to shed some light though to be sure. Some of the videos I’ve seen from wuhan are p damning and strange. They suggest this has been going on for at least a month or two.

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

Month or two sounds ... not reasonable exactly, but plausible.

The newspaper I read, not usually given to conspiracy theories, had a similar timeline. Figuring out you've got a problem takes time under any circumstances. Then you get the usual bureaucratic foot dragging (you don't want to shut down a mega city unless you're really sure you have to - if only for economic reasons), then you get some specifically Chinese foot dragging (spring holidays coming up, half the country will be on the move) and finally there's specifically CCP foot dragging (something about a party congress that was more important to Wuhan bureaucrats than looking into reports about suspiciously large numbers of pneumonia patients).

So given that, two months sounds about right.

Oh ... and something about even a totalitarian state like China not being able to dictate everything that happens in places far removed from the center of power: that animal market that is the presumed origin of this thing was supposed to have been closed down more than a year and a half ago. But alas: heaven is high and the emperor is far away.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, auxien said:

This article, which was written about 3 years ago on 23 february 2017, mentions a Wuhan pathogen lab, zoonotic viruses (those that jump to humans from animals, such as SARS or Ebola), and that the SARS virus has escaped from high-level containment facilities in Beijing multiple times...

?

If you want a conspiracy this article is gold. 

• Like 1

a big oof.  - not really. one person is a tour bus driver who drove a bunch of chinese tourists around. 

Coronavirus: Japan and Germany confirm patients who caught disease did not visit China

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/coronavirus-china-japan-latest-outbreak-bus-driver-wuhan-death-toll-a9305406.html

Edited by ignatius

1 hour ago, colunga said:

Just bought a ton of masks to sell for $29 each once things pop of here in NYC.  ?

just offer to infect people w/coronavirus so they can stop worrying about it. tell them stress is worse for your health than the virus. 

• Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1