IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

40 minutes ago, Entorwellian said:

giphy.gif

^Me for the next 3 months

ftfy

Did Trump Administration Fire the US Pandemic Response Team?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/?fbclid=IwAR2vC0dP1EDzBzbGIarBp_8HHevCxAse58r5h9TS3yMeNWuf4XvOOie2Bhg

Edited by ignatius
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Oh, you're probably right in a lot of cases! People worried that their tickets to Wrestlemania or their $60 club tix are cancelled... I don't know, those are low priority. 

I'm thinking more of the people that have booked cruises (typically you have to fly to the location before getting on the cruise? Like you're responsible for a separate flight to get to the point of disembarkation.). They're out potentially thousands of dollars depending on how companies are handling it. 

Myself for example I have flights to Iceland and hotels booked there for June - I have no idea if I can get refunds if this stuff gets out of hand. Which sucks because I'm kinda poor right now and could use the money (I could use the distraction of travel much more though!). lol

I'm p sure my flight to Portland for the pusher' show next month will be refunded thankfully. ?

People in the US pay crazy money to go to the NCAA March Madness and Final Four. That shit is nonrefundable I bet, and a lot of tickets are sold by scalpers.  Not to mention the Tokyo Olympics.

23 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:
4 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Oh, you're probably right in a lot of cases! People worried that their tickets to Wrestlemania or their $60 club tix are cancelled... I don't know, those are low priority. 

I'm thinking more of the people that have booked cruises (typically you have to fly to the location before getting on the cruise? Like you're responsible for a separate flight to get to the point of disembarkation.). They're out potentially thousands of dollars depending on how companies are handling it. 

Myself for example I have flights to Iceland and hotels booked there for June - I have no idea if I can get refunds if this stuff gets out of hand. Which sucks because I'm kinda poor right now and could use the money (I could use the distraction of travel much more though!). lol

I'm p sure my flight to Portland for the pusher' show next month will be refunded thankfully. ?

People in the US pay crazy money to go to the NCAA March Madness and Final Four. That shit is nonrefundable I bet, and a lot of tickets are sold by scalpers.  Not to mention the Tokyo Olympics.

I'm not familiar with either of those! It really sucks that is non-refundable IMO, in any other context (IE contract for sale of an item or services rendered) it would be. The only reason I even bring it up is because these are people about to be isolated, probably losing salary from not being allowed to go to work, having to pay a premium for healthcare related to the virus as well as a premium for things like getting necessities and groceries delivered... =(

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

IMG_2741.PNG

it's crazy how obvious this is.. how transparent he's been about "the numbers staying low" especially w/the cruise ship that was full of people needed to disembark. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, goDel said:

You know it's the year 2020 when you read this in an online paper and realise it's not the opinion section after ckecking 3 times to be sure...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/donald-trump-coronavirus-crisis

Every guardian news article is an op-ed piece in disguise... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Type 1 diabetic here in the uk, not that old and generally good control but still worried.  I’m not totally self isolating yet, but I’m lucky in that I can work from home as easily as going in to work so that’s what I’m doing for the foreseeable future.  Got the cupboards stocked up with some canned stuff and eating as much fresh / healthy stuff in the meantime in case it comes to having to lock the door.  

Pretty gutted that the Code Club I run in the office has been cancelled for now (not by me, that happened before I decided to work from home) cause that’s a real high point in my week, we were also having Tim Peake in next week to speak to the kids and that’s also understandably being cancelled.  There’s a few good gigs coming up as well that I’m going to have to miss (assuming they don’t get cancelled).

Might be overreacting but I’d rather that.  TBH I know I’m lucky that my work means I can take this kind of action with no real disruption but I don’t understand why anyone, healthy or not, wouldn’t take the same precautions if they had the option.

7 hours ago, goDel said:

Donald Trump is the very worst person to handle the coronavirus crisis

I’d say the Dutch prime minister is isn’t great at it either. “We want to keep schools open because closing them would make it impossible for parents to keep the economy running^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H performing their important life saving jobs in the health sector”.

And then some sort of lame excuse that children aren’t affected by the virus ... which only makes them *more* dangerous as they can spread it without it being obvious.

Luckily the governing body for the tertiary education sector can make its own decisions so all universities are now closed and I finally have the opportunity to rewire my “studio”.

Edited by rhmilo
s/it’s/its/

1 minute ago, darreichungsform said:

Donald Trump has failed and must resign.

Not sure holding elections now is such a great idea  what with all those people that have to stand in line to vote ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

I’d say the Dutch prime minister is isn’t great at it either. “We want to keep schools open because closing them would make it impossible for parents to keep the economy running^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H performing their important life saving jobs in the health sector”.

And then some sort of lame excuse that children aren’t affected by the virus ... which only makes them *more* dangerous as they can spread it without it being obvious.

Luckily the governing body for the tertiary education sector can make its own decisions so all universities are now closed and I finally have the opportunity to rewire my “studio”.

The Dutch PM listens to his experts though. He doesn't fire the people with bad news and unwanted advice. There's an actual decision making process in place. But he's not perfect though. But many in Western countries aren't. Nobody is. 

The irony is that if governments would be considered as overreacting, they'd probably would be doing the right stuff. 

Remember when we had a discussion about overreacting to this virus a couple of days ago? (It started out that way before it moved to a course on being SMART) Well, given that you teach kids about data science and all that good shit, I conclude you're on the smart side of the bell curve. Which means theres more than 50% of the population to your left. My guess is that more than 50% of the population would have considered any proactive measure to contain this "flu" complete rubbish a couple days ago. And still today, I'm afraid. 

At this point in time it's best to follow governments advice. It's the best we have. And it's far from having a president like Trump. Not even comparable, imo. It doesn't make any sense to compare the two. 

Just consider the possibility there are good reasons for keeping schools open at this point in time. Just like there were good reasons for asking people with mild symptoms to preventively stay home a couple days ago. 

2 minutes ago, goDel said:

The Dutch PM listens to his experts though. He doesn't fire the people with bad news and unwanted advice. There's an actual decision making process in place. But he's not perfect though. But many in Western countries aren't. Nobody is. 

The irony is that if governments would be considered as overreacting, they'd probably would be doing the right stuff. 

Remember when we had a discussion about overreacting to this virus a couple of days ago? (It started out that way before it moved to a course on being SMART) Well, given that you teach kids about data science and all that good shit, I conclude you're on the smart side of the bell curve. Which means theres more than 50% of the population to your left. My guess is that more than 50% of the population would have considered any proactive measure to contain this "flu" complete rubbish a couple days ago. And still today, I'm afraid. 

At this point in time it's best to follow governments advice. It's the best we have. And it's far from having a president like Trump. Not even comparable, imo. It doesn't make any sense to compare the two. 

Just consider the possibility there are good reasons for keeping schools open at this point in time. Just like there were good reasons for asking people with mild symptoms to preventively stay home a couple days ago. 

Hyperbole, of course ;-).

There is no way any politician is going to be able to do the right thing here, not only because there simply isn't one, but also because politics isn't about doing the right thing in the first place. It's about wielding influence. Trump, whatever you think about him, has proven to be pretty good at it. So has Mark Rutte, the Dutch PM. Where Trump bullies, however, Rutte weasels and compromises and while that has kept him in power for ten years now that does not make him capable of dealing with a crisis such as this one. And it shows: every policy and utterance from the government has the stink of consensus and finding a middle ground of some sort. Which is the last thing you need when you're dealing with a pandemic.

Different problem, same outcome.

• Like 1

Have to disagree again, I'm afraid. Running a government is more about doing the right stuff than you're willing to admit. And your focus is too much on the top as well.

Rutten stands on the shoulders of entire government agencies. When dealing with a crisis like this, a pm can only rely on those agencies. In the case of Rutten, he does. Whatever you think of him.

That's where Trump is different. What you might consider as wielding influence, I consider it braking down the decision process within a government. He just doesn't seem to give a shit about what his experts tell him. Or rather, he fires them if they tell him stuff he doesn't like.

That's not wielding influence. That's (mis) using his executive powers. (For which hes already impeached, of course)

Edited by goDel
  • Like 5