IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

Melbourne region back into lockdown for next 6 weeks. Borders into Victoria (NSW and SA) both closed as well.

All the Australian Rules (10) and Rugby teams (2 across League/Union) from Victoria have recently relocated elsewhere to keep those competitions going.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1

Reading some reports here (Netherlands) that the situation in Texas/Houston hospitals is getting out of hand. And will likely reach max ICU capacity in the coming week(s).

Good luck over there. And stay strong.

2 hours ago, goDel said:

Reading some reports here (Netherlands) that the situation in Texas/Houston hospitals is getting out of hand. And will likely reach max ICU capacity in the coming week(s).

the daily reports I keep seeing are not encouraging. every day it seems like there is a new record number of cases being reported here in TX. people do seem to be taking the face mask requirement seriously and there's starting to be contemplation again to shut everything back down. we'll see...  

Edited by zero
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

*sigh* just another day for a new record number of corona cases here in Texas. 10,000+ new cases in 1 day? WTF??

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/07/888755062/texas-sets-state-record-with-more-than-10-000-new-coronavirus-cases-reported-tue

Texas reported more than 10,000 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday, smashing its previous record for single-day increases and becoming latest state to reach this grim milestone.

Florida did so earlier in this month and New York in April.

Tuesday's 10,028 confirmed cases eclipse Texas' previous record of 8,258, which it set on Saturday.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Why do you guys even share these headlines and help this idiot with publicity?

is watmm a mega outlet for sharing and generating publicity? maybe should've put it in the kanye or USA presidential race thread or whatever. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ignatius said:

is watmm a mega outlet for sharing and generating publicity? 

It's not a secret that posting in Your Latest Creations makes you famous instantly

Edited by dingformung
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

34 minutes ago, dingformung said:

It's not a secret that posting in Your Last Creations makes you famous instantly

I became really rich because of it. :psyduck: What should i do with all the money?!!

• Burger 1

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-germany-could-benefit-as-foreign-students-ditch-us-uk/a-54025218?fbclid=IwAR0KYngnc6fRtsniq-Q3UlPkP4vjAK0MLRh0VDJu7WeVHUs6ZEF_I2x8JBc

Coronavirus: Germany could benefit as foreign students ditch US, UK

Western universities are expecting a massive drop in international student enrollment due to the pandemic. Germany's zero tuition fees, top health care system and coronavirus response could help it weather the storm.

Smells like German bias, imo. 

Makes sense that all EU universities, Germany included, could attract more foreign exchange students. One thing thats missing though (from your post),  is the language used at universities.

In France and Germany I'd expect French and German instead of English. Correct me if I'm wrong though. But from my experience, universities in -say- the Netherlands are pretty much prepared to provide full courses in English. And during a recent trip to Germany... ehm... well, I would be happy if Germans had *some* knowledge of English. Which wasn't often. No strong evidence here, obviously. But I do think that language is a stronger factor than, say, zero tuition fees. Especially when you consider that the exchange students who would go to US/UK, would be paying a small jackpot. If money was an issue, they wouldnt be going there anyways. (And scholarships would also help, obviously)

So in this aspect, I don't think Germany will be an attractive option. Apart from specific subjects where Germany excels/has expertise that other countries dont have. Like ... ehm. ?

Germans are good at car science and techno, right? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, goDel said:

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

There are many international courses of study that are in English language ?‍♂️

https://studiengaenge.zeit.de/studienangebote/kurstyp/internationaler-studiengang (page 1 of 100)

And during a recent trip to Germany... ehm... well, I would be happy if Germans had *some* knowledge of English.

Yes, the Dutch are usually better at English, agree. But at universities that's a different matter

Germans are good at car science and techno, right? 

I really don't know

Edit: I definitely think the rather conservative Germany can learn a lot from the Netherlands, which has traditionally been one of Europe's innovative pioneer countries. Though you have to agree that living in the Netherlands is very expensive compared to Germany, the real living standard here is comparatively high even when you are on the lowest end of the food chain. ? 

Edited by dingformung
  • Like 1

I think you're exaggerating the differences between the costs of living in Germany and the Netherlands. It's not a night and day difference. Housing might be the biggest thing. Could be that on average the Netherlands is more expensive. But if you're going to a university in a city like Berlin, I don't think the difference is significant either. And odds are, foreign exchange students end up living in cities with universities. Which tend to be the bigger and more expensive cities. 

Heres some stats to waste your mental capacity on, btw. Its the 2020 big mac index. Germany and the Netherlands seem to be missing. But the Eu area aggregate is present and some examples. From which I prematurely conclude: the variation with the EU isnt particularly meaningful. (Ignoring former eastern block. And moreover, also ignoring that eastern germany used to be part of that. Hella confusing...)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/274326/big-mac-index-global-prices-for-a-big-mac/

288 daily cases in Victoria. That is the worst daily increase in Australia since the pandemic began, state or federal. More non-imported mystery community transmission this time as well.

• Sad 1