IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

3 hours ago, Brisbot said:

So "reopen" the economy but add a caveat where the Governor can decide what to do?

Maybe it's him avoiding responsibility, but I imagine the state Govs would do a better job than Trump is.

Guess we'll find out

2 minutes ago, hijexx said:

Guess we'll find out

also, trump will find some way to penalize states that don't reopen as he wants. either through funding or medical supplies or some stupid bullshit. USA has more cases than anyone now which is scary since there's billion+ people in china and we passed them already. so who knows wtf is going on.. once testing actually catches up to demand we''ll see what real numbers are. 

i'm not even thinking about when i can go back to work. fuck that. this shit hasn't peaked yet. 

• Like 3

Friend of my family who was hospitalized with it last weekend requested hospice today.  No idea if he's still alive or not, because the only contact we have is with his wife, who is in quarantine now herself and has no direct contact with him.  Pretty terrible situation, and there's going to be a whole lot more, there've only been a few deaths in that state so far. My folks have about a 2-3 month supply of food now so as long as they're still clear in about 10 days they stand a good chance of weathering this but I expect to lose some people over the next few months, not everyone is lucky enough to be able to self quarantine and a lot of (probably most) people who are lucky enough still aren't doing it. I don't think it will be as bad as 1918-20 since but it's already a lot worse than 2009. I'm hoping it'll be comparable to 1968, which is pretty bad but a lot better than losing a quarter of the world population.

Stay safe, everybody.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, TubularCorporation said:

Friend of my family who was hospitalized with it last weekend requested hospice today....

losing a quarter of the world population.

My dude, first of all, i'm sorry to hear about your friend. I hope that he and his wife recover.

Second though, the Spanish Influenza infected about a quarter of the world's population. The very  highest estimate of the final death toll is 100 million, but most estimates put it between 17-50 million. So maximum 5%, but more like1-3% which is still pretty fucked, but not 25%.

1 hour ago, TubularCorporation said:

it's already a lot worse than 2009.

Some studies show that the H1N1 pandemic of 2009 infected between 700 million to 1.4 billion, with a range of deaths between 151K and 575K, so we might have a ways to go yet.

Also we really need to hope that MERS doesn't mutate, that one is deadly as fuck (approx 36% of people diagnosed with it die from it). Right now, it's a low risk for human-to-human transmission.

We still don't know a lot about Covid-19, like what it's RO is, and what the percentage of case fatality rates is (I expect it to drop as more and more mild cases are reported). Finally, while the number of deaths from COVID-19 is scary (24,077), the number of cases recovered is good (122,672). So be cautious, take appropriate measures (wash hands, avoid large groups etc.) but take heed of Douglas Adams' advice:

spacer.png

• Like 1

That's what I get for trusting Wikipedia, they hadn't updated the number since May of 2010 when it was slightly over 18,000 confirmed deaths - that larger figure is from August 2010.  Either way, we're still a couple hundred thousand below the average flu season (around 250k deaths a year from flu is normal) but this has the potential to be a lot worse than that.

And yeah, the "losing a quarter of the world population" thing was miswording, the 25% is actually the high-ball projection for the economic decline in this country over the next couple of months (actually 24%), juggling too many messages and posts at once.

Anyhow, botched number notwithstanding, my point was that it's unlikely this will be on the same scale as 1918 becaseu so many of the conditions that led to it aren't present now, regardless of this virus being potentially more contagious, but we're already in worse shape than at this stage of the 2009 pandemic and a lot of countries are proving a lot less prepared this time around.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, manmower said:

couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. hopefully this doesn't stop him from directly and privately meeting with Trump ASAP, so they can shake hands and talk in close quarters a lot to discuss the very important issues that definitely require an in-person meeting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Burger 1

3 hours ago, Mesh Gear Fox said:

sorry for being a total gronk, but what happened in 1968? vietnam?

The Hong Kong flu pandemic that killed around 1 million people around the world. My grandmother remembers this.

20 minutes ago, zkom said:

The Hong Kong flu pandemic that killed around 1 million people around the world. My grandmother remembers this.

Same strain of flu did the rounds again end of 2017/beginning of 2018 rebranded as Aussie flu. I got it. It sucked.

18 minutes ago, zkom said:

BoJo has tested positive for the Corona now.

Bozza got the 'ronas

6 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

Anyhow, my point was that it's unlikely this will be on the same scale as 1918

Totally agree ?