IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

Sorry to hear Marf, hope your Pa pulls thru man

A hospice home just down the street from where I live got hit, sounds like a similar situation.  My aunt's nursing home is okay so far but she's basically living in a supermax prison for the indefinite future.  Too much fucking perspective lads, time for a drink and a spliff

11 minutes ago, BobDobalina said:

Sorry to hear Marf, hope your Pa pulls thru man

A hospice home just down the street from where I live got hit, sounds like a similar situation.  My aunt's nursing home is okay so far but she's basically living in a supermax prison for the indefinite future.  Too much fucking perspective lads, time for a drink and a spliff

it sounds raga. You don't want to go raga on this stuff.

• Haha 1

every once in awhile I get a flash of guilt that I'm not doing more to help here. all these healthcare professionals busting their asses, putting themselves in harm's way while I sit in the comfort of my own home. my work has basically slowed to a crawl, so this is starting to feel a whole lot like an extended stay-cation. 

if only there was some way to mobilize a lot of us to help out virtually somehow, and I don't mean just donating money. but I get that this would require someone to think of, organize, and manage some sort of mass administrative online endeavor.

• Like 1

I think we unfortunately might see millions dead in US, I really hope I'm wrong, but all signs point to complete failure of govt, and eventually the health care system.  ?

Tons of people owning guns, racism and anti-Asian prejudice aren't going to help either.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

I think we unfortunately might see millions dead in US, I really hope I'm wrong, but all signs point to complete failure of govt, and eventually the health care system.  ?

Tons of people owning guns, racism and anti-Asian prejudice aren't going to help either.

Do you live in the US?

25 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

trump admin says 100,000 - 240,000 dead if they do everything perfectly.

Edited by very honest

It would be nice to see Trump act like he feels even a little bit bad for having his negligence in handling this cost the lives of thousands of people (at this point, to say nothing of the months to come).  I know it's asking for a lot, and it would be an empty gesture.  But he could at least try to pretend he isn't a sociopath at a time like this.

• Like 5

This administration has obviously never played Pandemic before.

Pandemic-On-the-Brink-Board-Game.png

They would be a lot better at it if they had.

2 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

It would be nice to see Trump act like he feels even a little bit bad for having his negligence in handling this cost the lives of thousands of people (at this point, to say nothing of the months to come).  I know it's asking for a lot, and it would be an empty gesture.  But he could at least try to pretend he isn't a sociopath at a time like this.

ha.. he's  not smart enough to override his sociopathic self w/the appearance of normal human psyche. he will never accept any responsibility for anything that goes wrong. ever. 

besides.. he's a fucking weirdo. a really weird guy. i think a lot of things he just doesn't understand in a very basic way. either because he never learned how to as a young person or he's just emotionally incapable. 

2 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Doubtful, as long as we keep following the basic guidelines to mitigate the spread. Although not everyone does.

Shame we're still dealing with racist assholes this far into the 21st Century. Was hoping we'd put that behind us until 2016 happened.

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

ha.. he's  not smart enough to override his sociopathic self w/the appearance of normal human psyche. he will never accept any responsibility for anything that goes wrong. ever. 

besides.. he's a fucking weirdo. a really weird guy. i think a lot of things he just doesn't understand in a very basic way. either because he never learned how to as a young person or he's just emotionally incapable. 

One characteristic is an inability to admit he's wrong, or apologize, for anything, ever.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

One characteristic is an inability to admit he's wrong, or apologize, for anything, ever.

and half the country misconstrues that as "strength in his ideals" herp

21 minutes ago, hijexx said:

Sorry about your Governor there

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/1245494921936678912

wtf., apparently he called trump to get permission for the lockdown. 

he's a big trump fan. total douche. 

most of my family lives in south florida. they've all been isolating/social distancing for a while now. 

just a guess, florida will be a hotspot soon. 

The U.S. Coast Guard is telling foreign-flagged cruise ships to be prepared to care for people with COVID-19 for an "indefinite period of time" at sea or to seek help from countries other than the U.S., citing a health care system that is being overwhelmed. The instructions are in a new safety bulletin that took effect this week along the southern Atlantic coast, including Florida – which is reporting more than 6,700 coronavirus cases, as of Tuesday evening.

If a cruise ship must send someone ashore for medical care, its owner will be responsible for essentially every step of the trip, from arranging an evacuation to hiring a private ambulance and ensuring the person has a spot in a hospital. But the Coast Guard bulletin, signed by Rear Adm. E.C. Jones of the 7th District based in Miami, also says it could be difficult to find any facility in South Florida that can take new COVID-19 patients.

"Medical facilities in the Port of Miami, for example, are no longer accepting MEDEVAC patients due to limited hospital capacity and it is expected that neighboring counties will follow suit," wrote Jones, whose Coast Guard district includes Florida, Puerto Rico, Georgia and South Carolina.

The new medical requirements apply to any vessel carrying more than 50 people. It also singles out cruise ships that are registered in the Bahamas – referring to many of the ships owned by large cruise lines such as Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian.

Foreign-flagged ships are the norm in the cruise industry. By registering ships in the Bahamas, Panama and other countries, cruise companies can avoid U.S. taxes as well as employment and environmental laws. But now, the Coast Guard is telling those companies that their ships should seek medical care in the countries where they are registered, rather than rely on the U.S.

"Foreign flagged vessels that loiter beyond U.S. territorial seas, particularly those registered to The Bahamas, that require a MEDEVAC to a shoreside facility should seek flag state support prior to seeking support from the limited facilities in the U.S.," Jones wrote.

The cruise ship industry is currently under a 30-day suspension of all trips from the U.S. that took effect on March 14. But dozens of ships remain at sea.

The Coast Guard memo was first reported by the Miami Herald, which gives this accounting of the current situation off the Florida shore:

"Seventeen ships are lined up at Port Miami and Port Everglades, with more than a dozen others hovering miles offshore. Most have only crew aboard, but several still carrying passengers are steaming toward South Florida ports. In SEC filings Tuesday, Carnival said it has more than 6,000 passengers still at sea. New sailings were halted by all major lines on March 13."

News of the Coast Guard bulletin emerged as a Carnival-owned Holland America seeks a port for the Zaandam, a cruise ship on which four people have died and nearly 200 people were sickened by suspected COVID-19. The company wants the ship to dock in Fort Lauderdale; several countries have denied permission for the ship to dock and disembark passengers.

Edited by Tim_J
  • Sad 6