Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Bernie Sanders will die from Corona Virus as a political stunt to escalate the conversation around free healthcare 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Braintree said:

I hope that Ayn Rand is spinning in her grave so fast that she opens a portal to a timeline where Bernie wins the presidency.

we all know there's no body in her  grave. that she faked her death because she got too famous to keep her vampirism a secret. she's somewhere over a hell mouth waiting for the right circumstances to bring forth more demons. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

Bernie Sanders will die from Corona Virus as a political stunt to escalate the conversation around free healthcare 

9Hi3rRH.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Braintree said:

I hope that Ayn Rand is spinning in her grave so fast that she opens a portal to a timeline where Bernie wins the presidency.

I doubt it, you have to spin 88 miles per hour to do that. Not an easy feat.

  • Farnsworth 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

Bernie Sanders will die from Corona Virus as a political stunt to escalate the conversation around free healthcare 

Biden will die from corona but his death will be regarded as merely a speech impediment 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Burger 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stickfigger said:

- Aus is only *entering* flu season now and our cooler months. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

 

 

Yeah up here in FNQ the seasons don't seem to exist other than dry/wet (currently buckets down a few times a day, so hard to have much faith in leaving the house for long periods, basically lockdown anyway).

But when I lived in Canberra, I remember April 4/5 is when you typically got that first bone-chilling night, and Anzac Day is when the winter fashions start to line the streets as you get that dreary midday breeze. Melbourne and Western Sydney also get very chilly by the end of April. Melbourne is going to enter flu Mecca season very soon.

Australia seems to be flattening the curve quite well for now. Still some stupid crap from time to time, but feel we are well placed for now.

Edited by Roo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yesterday afternoon I spent twenty minutes chillin' with the biggest praying mantis I've ever seen. We seemed cool until I tried to offer it an ant-infested dead moth, and it bolted. Fair enough, dead moths are like the grubby pigs of the insect world minus the bacon, and if I was a mantis I'd be disturbed by mobs of ants as well.

When I was a little kid I was playing with a mantis and then immobilised it in a tight driveway crevice during lunch so I could play with it later. When I returned some ants had come along and dismembered its limbs and were already crawling out of its torso and eyeballs. First time I ever felt guilt in relation to an animal. Which is weird because mantis are about as sympathetic as a shark or octopus.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taupe Beats said:

Yes those are good films (I haven't seen Dead Souls for disclosure), but I'm talking about movies like Raise the Red Lantern, Hero, Ashes of Time, Chungking Express, Happy Together, Eat Drink Man Woman, John Woo's material from the early 90s, (and Red Cliff), Infernal Affairs. That period of time really spread China's soft power (along with other things, but no one here wants to talk international relations and we're supposed to be discussing coronavirus in this thread), and Xi is laying waste to a lot of that.

Saying that, blaming China for the coronavirus is straight-up race baiting. The Chinese initial response was not great, but fuck Trump for trying to blame China for America's issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Yes those are good films (I haven't seen Dead Souls for disclosure), but I'm talking about movies like Raise the Red Lantern, Hero, Ashes of Time, Chungking Express, Happy Together, Eat Drink Man Woman, John Woo's material from the early 90s, (and Red Cliff), Infernal Affairs. That period of time really spread China's soft power (along with other things, but no one here wants to talk international relations and we're supposed to be discussing coronavirus in this thread), and Xi is laying waste to a lot of that.

Saying that, blaming China for the coronavirus is straight-up race baiting. The Chinese initial response was not great, but fuck Trump for trying to blame China for America's issues. 

A lot of those films you mention are actually Hong Kong or Taiwan cinema rather than mainland China. The Chinese films that critically do well internationally tend to be rather critical of the state as well. You also seem to have a very narrow concept of soft power.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Roo said:

A lot of those films you mention are actually Hong Kong or Taiwan cinema rather than mainland China. The Chinese films that critically do well internationally tend to be rather critical of the state as well. You also seem to have a very narrow concept of soft power.

Well aware of that (HK being the epicentre of Chinese film), but Xi's handling of HK is indicative of the failure of Chinese cinema, symbolizing China's downward trajectory in their ability to influence global policy through the use of soft power (I'm trying to keep this conversation from going into an Asian international relations thread).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

😂

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, goDel said:

😂

 

just tried to watch a few minutes of that and rump started talking about freedom in iran and real estate deals his friends were making "back then" and oh my fucking god this guy is the worst. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

WTF @ Canada jumping from 13 deaths in one day yesterday to 52 today.   Total daily cases jumped from ~1,000 to ~1,500!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

☹️

this is defs fucked but if you look at the charts you can see a bump in cases long enough ago that a jump in deaths is sure to follow at this point. obviously hoping this is as close to the peak as possible but unfortunately it seems we can only wait and watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Brisbot said:

I doubt it, you have to spin 88 miles per hour to do that. Not an easy feat.

Plus, how’s she gonna generate 1.21 gigawatts? Unless she has the skills to harness lightning, it ain’t happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Also nice bit of contrarian fodder here: image.thumb.png.8db5e6ca4d8879f08260ea8963520974.png


However, the effects of the new coronavirus pandemic are starting to have an impact in badly affected regions, with sharp rises in the number of deaths in eastern France and the Paris area in recent days. Insee said 39,707 deaths had been registered in France excluding the Bouches-du-Rhône department between March 1-23 this year, compared with 39,141 last year and 44,443 in 2018. Online mortality data for the week of 21-27 March showed sharp increases from the previous week in several departments, with Seine-Saint-Denis up 63 per cent and Paris up 32 per cent. On average 1,670 people a day die in France, Insee said, although the number is higher in winter than in summer. In recent days, the French government has announced roughly 500 Covid-19 deaths in hospital per day, with more deaths from the disease registered in old people’s homes.

 

Edited by bendish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

On a lighter note I just had a 2 beers, a glass of wine and the most fantastic, most furious of wanks

It was gloriously fabulous 😎

Edited by beer badger
  • Like 2
  • Burger 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, beer badger said:

On a lighter note I just had a 2 beers, a glass of wine and the most fantastic, most furious of wanks

It was gloriously fabulous 😎

How is that possible? Humans only have two hands. Maybe...

 

beer-hat.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

WTF @ Canada jumping from 13 deaths in one day yesterday to 52 today.   Total daily cases jumped from ~1,000 to ~1,500!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

☹️

Hmm? Canada is close to 200 deaths

oh never mind I think I gotcha, you mean the daily death rate. Yeah it’s only going to get worse in a couple days as cases “mature” (I’m sure there is a better word for that but haven’t had my coffee yet).

seems like our social distancing stuff is working a bit though when you compare to the US, France, Spain etc? 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although most people probably don’t wear masks for this reason I understand it might help prevent the wearer from infecting others because at least it should block tiny droplets of spit that you spread when speaking? Guess just keeping ones mouth shut when in public would pretty much do the same thing...

I’m about to get on a tram and then a train and am considering wearing the mask a Chinese acquaintance gave me last week but I probably won’t have to speak to anyone anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_3445.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Burger 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can you save those for a different thread

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

IMG_3445.JPG

The irony when you realise bats use wavelengths as well ;D

will university of illinois at urbana-champaign GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Upset man said:

Plus, how’s she gonna generate 1.21 gigawatts? Unless she has the skills to harness lightning, it ain’t happening.

yeah, the only power source capable of generating 1.21 gagawatts of electricity is lightning... and what are you gonna do, catch it in a bottle? lol.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...