IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

13 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Is Germany just getting this taste/smell info now? We've had that in the US for over a week now. Any more detail on the throat discomfort symptoms?

My wife and I have been in self quarantine since March 10th and except for a few necessary outings, we've stayed in. No Covid symptoms ( that I'm aware of) but I've had an off/on throat irritation that feels a bit like the beginning of a cold that never really takes hold. 

No, but there is a new study out of Iran that seems to confirm it, so they brought that info up again.

It was news to me and i actually think that i already had that a few weeks ago. My throat discomfort felt like it wanted to clear my throat all the time but whatever was there, was to dry and sticky to come up. The teas and food that i had that time tasted awful. Like they where missing some part of their taste. The troat thing went away after a week, taste and smell came fully back after some weeks. I didn't make much of it and i'm basically locked in out of paranoia since mid February anyways. My nose also felt like it was numbed, a bit like it had a very light local anesthetic.

5 minutes ago, auxien said:

there have been personal experiences from people who had confirmed cases of COVID of the lack of taste/smell for at least a month, maybe more. dunno that there's ever been any hard science backing this up but nonetheless it seems a possible indicator. 

lots of people just have mild issues in spring with throat/sinuses with the pollen everywhere, but that's likely something that happens every year to those people (dependent upon location of course) so not necessarily worth freaking out about ofc.

I see. I had no sinus issues.

Edited by Psychotronic

On 4/4/2020 at 7:49 PM, ambergonk said:

There are at least four.

I got called out here once for using the term "retarded" though. If that same person can come up with a better substitute in this context, I'm all ears.

Idiotic, stupid, juvenile...

people with mental retardation shouldn’t have to suffer from being compared with politicians as well. 

• Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, ambergonk said:

Just the usual ravens in my neighborhood. They're gangsta af tho.

I found a dead raven in my yard the other day. naturally, I interpreted it as a sign that we're all gonna die.

• Sad 1

The mystery of why the coronavirus kills some young people

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/health/young-people-dying-coronavirus-sanjay-gupta/index.html

So, what could be behind it? Scientists and researchers wonder if the answer could lie in our genes and are beginning to try and understand what differentiates people who get mild cases from those who die.
One possibility is a gene variation in the ACE2 gene. ACE2 is an enzyme that attaches to the outer surface of cells in the lungs, as well as the heart. In an article in Science magazine, Immunologist Dr. Philip Murphy of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said that "variations in the ACE2 gene that alter the receptor could make it easier or harder for the virus to get into lung cells." 

It is also possible that a critical ingredient produced by the body, known as surfactant, which better allows the lungs to expand and contract, becomes depleted in some patients infected with the coronavirus. If you think of your lungs as a sponge, surfactant would be the detergent which would make them soft and pliable. Without surfactant, however, your lung becomes stiff and hard to squeeze. It may be why some patients continue to struggle even on a breathing machine.

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

Hey ... isn’t this also what they were suggesting why Iran is so heavily hit? I recall reading something a few weeks ago suggesting a variation of this gene that makes them more susceptible to diseases like this being more common among people of Persian descent. This would explain why so many of them have died of COVID-19 - but also why the Spanish Flu hit Iran much harder than it did the rest of the world.

A Dutch professor suggests an explanation for the disproportionately large number of overweight and obese people that suffer severe symptoms and death: the virus can easily enter cells with ACE-2 receptors (as mentioned above) and one of the cell types that has a lot of those is fat cells. If you’re so overweight you’ve got a lot of fat cells close to your lungs, it becomes that much easier for the virus to attack your respiratory system.

Up to 90% of hospitalized patients in the Netherlands are overweight and of those 90% a significant number is obese. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Trump is a fat pig and didn't get sick yet, is there no justice in this world?

:catsob:

• Burger 2
  • Farnsworth 1

I'd love to know what pact with god Johnson is trying to make right now.  If it's I'll never tell another lie, I wish him a swift recovery.

Just now, auxien said:
1 minute ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

wots wrong wit u guise?

i ate chinese food now i'm going to die because of a virus, thanks for asking

das racis

I'm craving Chinese food but nothing is open, thanks obama