IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

3 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

When did he die again?  i know i could google it, but I prefer to use watmm as my wikipedia.

2014, on my birthday, no less. I met him once, very briefly, think I posted about it somewhere around here too. Quite the gloomy feller, as one would imagine.

If you're quarantined it really doesn't matter what you do, aside from invite other people into your quarantine zone.

Oh, unless you're quarantined BECAUSE you're already sick with it... that's probably pretty bad.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

When did he die again?  i know i could google it, but I prefer to use watmm as my wikipedia.

he 1st died in 12 May 2014, he resurrected after 3 days and then he died again (ascended into heaven) after 40 days...

• Haha 1

there's a lot of shit going around facebook that's equal parts cringe/funny/informative depending on your perspective. someone sent this to me. 

1 minute ago, hijexx said:

A video branded by "Occupy Democrats" where the news host says "Wuhan Virus"

The irony is rich.

I agree with the sentiment that Trump goofed for sure.

and apparently it's from India? pundits are a well informed bunch the world over ?

Australia's flattened to fewer than 110 new cases of infection for two consecutive days. Of course Easter will see some risk-taking and silly spread, but generally seems to be headed in the right direction with less than 60 deaths to date. There haven't been any new cases in my region for a few days now.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Nebraska said:

^^ whilst that good idea is being implemented- here's another good one. certificates for those that are immune to corona- so they can freely travel around- maybe even go back to work- whilst those that don't have those "papers" can be put in quarantine and possibly imprisoned from breaking the rules. 

not sure why they're not calling those certificates "visas" but i like the idea already.

one of the problems with this method, although im really just criticizing the us health system, is that it would 'clear' the most well off folks who have had the most access to testing, to go back to economic productivity, while the people are  systemically excluded from adequate health care due to regional disparity / lack of health insurance, etc, would be told "you have to stay home because we havent tested you".  of course its not a bad approach but further emphasizes the disparities in the shitty american health system

15 minutes ago, Mesh Gear Fox said:

this is great but i am skeptical about their methodology for testing. for a long time you couldn't get a test unless you had a) just returned from overseas or b) been in contact with a confirmed positive. so this seems to be a recipe for community transmission and this is indeed what was happening silently in the background. the aus government's plan is: pls just stay inside and get over the buggy wuggy pls pls pls don't contribute to the official count pls don't make scomo look bad PLEASE. i know for sure many people have not been taking quarantine or lockdown seriously and are still visiting friends and stuff, silently spreading the virus as they go. unless we get more widespread and random testing, i am not optimistic. already the gov are talking about ending restrictions soon and i don't think you can even start talking about that until you have some kind of decent testing scheme and way of managing a potential flare up.

Yeah I get that, that the stats aren't perfect and that people I know of are flaunting the rules. I'm not recommending that we break lockdown anytime soon or that we've won, just a reassuring trend for the time being.

I have a neighbor couple with young kids who have been camping in their backyard over Easter. Very cute!

1 hour ago, markedone said:

one of the problems with this method, although im really just criticizing the us health system, is that it would 'clear' the most well off folks who have had the most access to testing, to go back to economic productivity, while the people are  systemically excluded from adequate health care due to regional disparity / lack of health insurance, etc, would be told "you have to stay home because we havent tested you".  of course its not a bad approach but further emphasizes the disparities in the shitty american health system

In case not clear, this is about different tests than the "diagnose covid-19" tests that so many countries are having difficulties with to do in large volumes. The immunity tests are going to be cheap, fast and available in larg(er) quantities, unlike those covid-19 tests. These immunity tests are going to be closer to pregnancy tests, for example. 

Also, a lot of those well off folkes depend on the entire economy to be back up. Thats not going to happen when half the country remains in full lockdown because they havent been tested for immunity. This is not a happy few type of scenario. 

Even if not everyone is going to get a test, in order to reach (regional) herd immunity, at least 60% needs to be immune. Thats the only way to get the economy rolling again (apart from vaccine, or cure from covid-19) Otherwise, the pandemic will come back hard when the lockdown is lifted. 

This should be implemented independent of the kind of healthcare system. Or whether some is insured or not. Perhaps the US might surprise me in finding ways to do it in a way what you are expecting. It wouldnt be a first. But normally speaking I dont expect this to happen as its independent from the whole " how to organize the healthcare system" issue.

About those immunity tests taking a long time to develop. At least longer than expected. There are some questions about the level of immunity of the number of people who were asymptomatic and mild symptomatic. It is possible those people have a lower level of immunity which could allow them to get covid19 a second time. And when testing for immunity, ideally you want to test for the strong immunity where you know people wont get infected a second time (in the near future). So theyre still researching for those kinds of immunity atm.

"This is very complex. This is a very brilliant enemy. You know, it's a brilliant enemy. They develop drugs like the antibiotics, you see it? Antibiotics used to solve every problem. Now one of the biggest problems the world has is the germ has gotten so brilliant that the antibiotic can't keep up with it, and they're constantly trying to come up with a new... People go to a hospital and they catch... They go for a heart operation, that's no problem, but they end up dying from, from, problems, you know the problems I'm talking about."

Someone told me once that you should not drink and take antibiotics

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, Roo said:

Australia's flattened to fewer than 110 new cases of infection for two consecutive days. Of course Easter will see some risk-taking and silly spread, but generally seems to be headed in the right direction with less than 60 deaths to date. There haven't been any new cases in my region for a few days now.

meanwhile...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, auxien said:

meanwhile...

60 to date against 2,108 in 24 hours. We are about 7.3% their population, but approx 0.003% their mortality rate.