IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

13 hours ago, goDel said:

In case not clear, this is about different tests than the "diagnose covid-19" tests that so many countries are having difficulties with to do in large volumes. The immunity tests are going to be cheap, fast and available in larg(er) quantities, unlike those covid-19 tests. These immunity tests are going to be closer to pregnancy tests, for example. 

Also, a lot of those well off folkes depend on the entire economy to be back up. Thats not going to happen when half the country remains in full lockdown because they havent been tested for immunity. This is not a happy few type of scenario. 

Even if not everyone is going to get a test, in order to reach (regional) herd immunity, at least 60% needs to be immune. Thats the only way to get the economy rolling again (apart from vaccine, or cure from covid-19) Otherwise, the pandemic will come back hard when the lockdown is lifted. 

This should be implemented independent of the kind of healthcare system. Or whether some is insured or not. Perhaps the US might surprise me in finding ways to do it in a way what you are expecting. It wouldnt be a first. But normally speaking I dont expect this to happen as its independent from the whole " how to organize the healthcare system" issue.

About those immunity tests taking a long time to develop. At least longer than expected. There are some questions about the level of immunity of the number of people who were asymptomatic and mild symptomatic. It is possible those people have a lower level of immunity which could allow them to get covid19 a second time. And when testing for immunity, ideally you want to test for the strong immunity where you know people wont get infected a second time (in the near future). So theyre still researching for those kinds of immunity atm.

Thanks for clarification- I didn't read the article and assumed immunity would be predicated on having been tested positive during infection, but this makes more sense

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hijexx said:

US president still doesn't understand the difference between a bacteria and a virus

How much more evidence do we need to confirm that POTUS is a fucking moron?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

40 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

love that officials here are toying with "opening back up" when we are exceptional in our number of cases and deaths despite china having 1 BILLION more people than us

The difference between China and USA is that in china the outbreak started as a point source.

In the USA you had an outbreak start at every major airport. 

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

5 minutes ago, auxien said:

not anymore than i believe the official USA ones.

there's not enough testing in USA. even if they're reporting every case there's definitely more. same w/deaths. in NYC the rate of cardiac arrest deaths went up 400 percent in a week or something.. people are just dying at home w/o being tested. 

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/massive-spike-in-nyc-cardiac-arrest-deaths-seen-as-sign-of-covid-19-undercounting/2368678/

• Like 2
  • Farnsworth 1

If you look at the log scale graph of deaths in the US it looks like it might be starting to taper off (harder to see on the linear graph):

image.png.68f05018fbff6de9cf073a8ec1c7b49d.png

So while number of deaths is still increasing, the rate at which it's increasing is slowing down. Hopefully not just a temporary blip, might indicate you'll plateau next week or something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I don’t think anyone believes China’s official numbers though do they? 

Because US officials and the CIA have never lied about anything before.

Edited by milkface

20 hours ago, hijexx said:

US president still doesn't understand the difference between a bacteria and a virus

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't understand the difference between the two. SAD :facepalm:

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

there's not enough testing in USA. even if they're reporting every case there's definitely more. same w/deaths. in NYC the rate of cardiac arrest deaths went up 400 percent in a week or something.. people are just dying at home w/o being tested. 

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/massive-spike-in-nyc-cardiac-arrest-deaths-seen-as-sign-of-covid-19-undercounting/2368678/

exactly, yeah. and i assume in many countries this is happening to some extent or another, but it may be a bigger factor here than elsewhere at least in reporting if not in actual spread.

On 4/10/2020 at 2:55 PM, Nebraska said:

^^ whilst that good idea is being implemented- here's another good one. certificates for those that are immune to corona- so they can freely travel around- maybe even go back to work- whilst those that don't have those "papers" can be put in quarantine and possibly imprisoned from breaking the rules. 

not sure why they're not calling those certificates "visas" but i like the idea already.

Umm. Aren't they still able to spread it even if they're immune?

My friend's girlfriend is a nurse and she said they had to admit a woman into the ER as a level 1 trauma because she tied a machete to a door and fucked it.

People are starting to lose their damn minds.

• Confused 5
  • Burger 2

Horrified emoji would be really useful.

I mentioned before somewhere about the dude who jumped off the cliff behind my client's house right after shit got real in the media regarding this.  Immediately wondered if the threat of a world stopping pandemic may have pushed him over the edge (no pun intended...).

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Burger 1

48 minutes ago, Braintree said:

My friend's girlfriend is a nurse and she said they had to admit a woman into the ER as a level 1 trauma because she tied a machete to a door and fucked it.

People are starting to lose their damn minds.

Sanity is a myth, a mask every human being wears. I expect exactly that and more of it.

• Farnsworth 1

The fact that the country has managed to hold itself together to the degree it has, despite being led by possibly the stupidest and most ridiculous world leader of a major nation in the history of humanity, is a credit to the overall structure of the place, the checks and balances have worked to a surprising degree, not sure how well they'll hold up to a further 4 years of his nonsense, but even then I doubt it'll leave the place in a irredeemable mess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1