IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

1 minute ago, rhmilo said:

Note one is an actual island nation and the other pretty much is too because it’s sole land border is hermetically sealed.

Not to belittle their efforts, but I’m sure that helps.

Both have planes tho. Unless I’m completely wrong about that. 

49 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

1 hour ago, timbre monke said:

South Korea and New Zealand really are the exemplars in this whole crisis.

I read somewhere there might be a resurgence in SK though.

Was talking to a friend who recently returned to South Korea, they put tracking apps on your phone and have to be in touch with a monitoring officer a couple of times a day for the duration of their quarantine (14 days). 

The possible resurgence in SK and Singapore, Hong Kong etc, could be cause by people coming in that haven’t had strict testing protocols in place...like most of North America and much of Europe. 

• Like 1

People talking about strange times and all that stuff. I don't know, but We've been a bit spoiled, this kind of thing is more normal than abnormal if you look through history. We've just been in this little blip in time that hasn't seen an epidemic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Both have planes tho. Unless I’m completely wrong about that. 

Airports and sea ports are a lot easier to monitor than land borders, though.

Australia and Japan are essentially islands as well. It doesn't necessarily make it far easier. It certainly wouldn't have helped the US, you can't blame Mexico, Canada and Central Americans for exacerbating their predicament. Indonesia would still be suffering if it had the whole archipelago.

The Kiwis still have infected people arriving from a ship berth in Uruguay. It is their approach and maturity given the forewarning that makes the difference.

8 hours ago, caze said:

It also helps to be a small island nation in the middle of nowhere.

This shows very little understanding of the modern world.

Just now, Roo said:

Yeah thanks to modern air travel. The one "small island" exception would probably be North Sentinel Island in the Bay of Bengal, which is said to be home of the last untouched (and probably most xenophobic) indigenous tribe on Earth. In fact, my understanding is that it's illegal to go there at all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roo said:
10 hours ago, caze said:

It also helps to be a small island nation in the middle of nowhere.

Not surprising at all. Caze has repeatedly proven to have a limited understanding of the modern world.

Edited by darreichungsform
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Roo said:

Don't be an ass. NZ's status as a small island nation in the middle of nowhere is clearly a factor in their ability to handle this crisis. If you don't realise this then you don't understand how the universe works. You mention Australia and Japan, but they prove my point, as they have similarly low rates of infection to New Zealand, in fact Australia has fewer cases per capita (slightly more deaths per capita), and Japan has significantly fewer cases per capita. Other small island nations like Iceland and Ireland have done better than their neighbors too. It's not enough to be a small island nation, you also have to have done the right things too, but it certainly helps.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Farnsworth 1

1 hour ago, timbre monke said:

Yeah thanks to modern air travel.

There's not a huge amount of air travel going on at the moment you might have noticed.

3 hours ago, Zeffolia said:

if youre enough of a bourgeois person enough to shop at trader joes, its time to stop, theyre fucking CANCELLED, for union busting attempts

Never thought of TJ as bourgeois. I like shopping at Trader Joes. All the folks who work there seem like they actually like their job too.

6 hours ago, caze said:

Don't be an ass. NZ's status as a small island nation in the middle of nowhere is clearly a factor in their ability to handle this crisis. If you don't realise this then you don't understand how the universe works. You mention Australia and Japan, but they prove my point, as they have similarly low rates of infection to New Zealand, in fact Australia has fewer cases per capita (slightly more deaths per capita), and Japan has significantly fewer cases per capita. Other small island nations like Iceland and Ireland have done better than their neighbors too. It's not enough to be a small island nation, you also have to have done the right things too, but it certainly helps.

Well then you can take all the Covid-19 infested cruise ships lurking around Australia's epic coastline at the moment if you like. "Middle of nowhere" and "small" are moronic descriptors, and it is not like this virus has been walked across the globe.

In terms of area, Australia is the 6th largest country, Japan is 62nd and New Zealand is 75th (both bigger than the UK), Ireland is 118th (barely a quarter the size of NZ). Australia, Japan and Indonesia are all G20 as well. I think you are projecting.

Edited by Roo