2 minutes ago, chenGOD said:
7 minutes ago, marf said:

but if it isn't contained and mutates then we are all r cancelled

Praise fucking jebus

but if everyone is cancelled, then what does being cancelled mean? :psyduck:

1 hour ago, marf said:

but if it isn't contained and mutates then we are all canceled

Stop the Hollywood!

If it isnt contained it will most likely be just another flu. Because, put simply, if it mutates into something way more deadly, it will contain itself because of its deadliness. The quicker people die, the less the virus can spread.

2 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Why are you concerned? 2,100 people dead, but they have a known treatment program. 2100 people dead, globally. Even if it was just in China that’s less than a drop in the bucket, population wise. 

Yeah but r a t i n g s

Image result for ancient aliens meme blank

To be fair, because I have limited knowledge of these things, I do understand a certain degree of trepidation when it's a novel virus; I'm not sure how many similar viruses are discovered annually? When it's something new and not understood I do understand why people would get their guard up to this extent. :shrug:

If doing a risk analysis the consequence and occurrence factors are unknown right? meh

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

8 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Yeah but r a t i n g s

Image result for ancient aliens meme blank

To be fair, because I have limited knowledge of these things, I do understand a certain degree of trepidation when it's a novel virus; I'm not sure how many similar viruses are discovered annually? When it's something new and not understood I do understand why people would get their guard up to this extent. :shrug:

If doing a risk analysis the consequence and occurrence factors are unknown right? meh

Some very brief reading: https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/publichealth/84759

(god i love procrastinating at work)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Some very brief reading: https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/publichealth/84759

(god i love procrastinating at work)

Thx for this. I didn’t think of asymptomatic spread and the implications for herd immunity, not concepts I was familiar with. 

?

Iran seems to be panicking.  Hajj begins on July 28, and it could be a disaster if this is not contained by then, in a region of the world with terrible hygiene, gaps in education and literacy, 2 million people shoulder to shoulder in the streets of Mecca.  The Saudis are shitting themselves.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iran-closing-schools-scrambling-hospital-162515515.html

9 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Iran seems to be panicking.  Hajj begins on July 28, and it could be a disaster if this is not contained by then, in a region of the world with terrible hygiene, gaps in education and literacy, 2 million people shoulder to shoulder in the streets of Mecca.  The Saudis are shitting themselves.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iran-closing-schools-scrambling-hospital-162515515.html

big oof.  don't people make that pilgrimage by foot in many cases? walking from village to village? 

those sanctions are extra problematic here. i wonder if the world health organization is allowed to send some supplies and help?

that's not true though, if that was the case there wouldn't have been multiple examples in human history of lethal viruses/bacteria which have wiped out large numbers of people. a pathogen can have a long incubation time and still be highly contagious and have a high mortality rate. we know for a fact now that this one has a long incubation time (between 2 weeks to a month nearly), it's unsure exactly how lethal/contagious it is though, due to the unreliability of the Chinese reporting. we'll only know for sure when/if democratic countries start showing similar numbers to China.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, caze said:

that's not true though, if that was the case there wouldn't have been multiple examples in human history of lethal viruses/bacteria which have wiped out large numbers of people. a pathogen can have a long incubation time and still be highly contagious and have a high mortality rate. we know for a fact now that this one has a long incubation time (between 2 weeks to a month nearly), it's unsure exactly how lethal/contagious it is though, due to the unreliability of the Chinese reporting. we'll only know for sure when/if democratic countries start showing similar numbers to China.

Obviously lethal viruses can spread but the more lethal the virus is the easier it is to diagnose and contain plus it kills the carriers. So, actually the less lethal mutations and the mutations with less symptom are likelier to survive than the super deadly ones making the less dangerous "fitter" in the evolutionary sense, which sort of makes the virus population less dangerous over time because the people get the immunity by getting sick from the more common and less dangerous version.

The big old plagues were more or less caused by people not understanding how the disease is spreading and actually acting counter-productively, f.e. in medieval Europe killing the cats, who actually were killing the rats that carried the disease.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, zkom said:

Obviously lethal viruses can spread but the more lethal the virus is the easier it is to diagnose and contain plus it kills the carriers.

There are three independent factors though, so what you're saying only holds if the incubation time is short. You can be asymptomatic while still spreading a potentially lethal and highly contagious pathogen, this one has the first part down, hopefully not the latter two as well.

18 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

Yeah but mostly all will be old or poor so this virus really does like to punch down 

Ignoring everyone's callous disregard for the elderly for a moment (and also children), even if it's a small % of 'normals' who died, a worldwide pandemic would still see a large number of them dying too.

Here in Milan there's plenty of people wearing face masks. Also the subway is way way less crowded, like 1 fifth of the people normally using it, as a lot of people work from home this week. Also saw some videos of supermarkets with empty shelves on the food section