IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

As far as the strokes are concerned: the research article CNN links to is about strokes *in patients in intensive care*.

Incidence might be higher than you’d expect but the effect is small and, hey, lying face down in an IC bed for weeks is pretty bad for you with or without corona, so it might just turn out to be some noise in the signal.

Also, statistics is hard, medical research is notoriously sloppy when it comes to statistics *and* everyone doing research on the corona virus is in a bit of a rush these days.

The corona virus wrecks your lungs. That is pretty much certain. The rest?

There are illnesses that have long term effects that kick in much later after you think it's cured, sometimes 20 years later. And Covid-19 isn't researched properly, so it might be one of those diseases. All the people who had no symptoms might have symptoms at a later point in their life or might just die say 5 years earlier than they normally would have. So let's not underestimate it.

Not underestimating it at all. The disease, that is. Students of mine that catch it, healthy early 20 somethings, report they’re spectacularly out of breath as a result of it, to the point where climbing up a single flight of stairs leaves them gasping for air.

These symptoms clear up after a few days to a week, but clearly this virus can do some serious damage and not only to overweight, sick and / or elderly people.

But all the hurried, sloppy research papers that are coming out now? Probably best to underestimate or ignore hem for now until we know more.

Check this one out, for example: research on COVID-19 antibodies was (possibly) ruined when the wife of of one of the researchers sent out an email to friends and family urging participation in the study, claiming it would tell them if they were immune or not :

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Wife-s-email-may-have-tainted-Stanford-15225414.php

Edited by rhmilo

1 hour ago, Stickfigger said:

I definitely think there is something substantial with the clotting as a response of the cytokine storm though

I think so too, but I'm not a doctor, just a human being and we all know human beings are very good at seeing patterns even where none exist, so ...

7 hours ago, Roo said:

Well The Strokes just released a new album called "The New Abnormal"

They hail from the epicentre New York

28 Pictures That Will Make You Say "Wow, I Am So Old" | Meme faces ...

Turns out I can't stop looking at this. I would like to watch that movie.

My grandma’s at a nursing home that just got hit with it. One person died, and my grandma is one of a few sent to the hospital with a fever. It’s about ten minutes away from my mom’s house but no one can even go see her obviously. We don’t even know the hospital yet. 

• Sad 8

2 hours ago, IDEM said:

Turns out I can't stop looking at this. I would like to watch that movie.

It is an audience member promo from Australia's Got Talent circa 2015-ish. It looks pretty put-on (notice the more toned-down audience around him). This was the ad for the show, baiting what did he just react to? It is a great meme/gif though, got a real In the Court of the Crimson King style face. My brother has a similar look and used to clown around like that.

From memory, Rebel Wilson first came to national attention for playing an Australian Idol audience schoolgirl character in about 2004. I guess they'll resort to anything to sell their shows. You could get away with things like that in the 2000s. A lot of the early viral things on YT were play-acting or overreacting, and the preference for African-American reaction videos still ties into that.

Edited by Roo
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Roo said:

It is an audience member promo from Australia's Got Talent circa 2015-ish. It looks pretty put-on (notice the more toned-down audience around him). This was the ad for the show, baiting what did he just react to? It is a great meme/gif though, got a real In the Court of the Crimson King style face. My brother has a similar look and used to clown around like that.

From memory, Rebel Wilson first came to national attention for playing an Australian Idol audience schoolgirl character in about 2004. I guess they'll resort to anything to sell their shows. You could get away with things like that in the 2000s. A lot of the early viral things on YT were play-acting or overreacting, and the preference for African-American reaction videos still ties into that.

Interesting, I didn't know any of that. Worked with me!

Edited by IDEM

As if the financial situation in the US isn't fucked up enough, conditions for the small business loans require them to spend the majority of it on payroll, and 100% of the loan is forgiven if all employees are retained.  But with the $600/week raise in unemployment benefits, some workers make more staying home than working even 2 jobs, so who wants to go back to work?  Thanks Congress.

Thanks for posting this. I don't think these parellels have occurred to anyone before now. I trust you will continue to keep your finger on the pulse and update the thread accordingly. Keep up the good work. Godspeed Agent Farr. America needs you more than ever right now ?? 

• Haha 2
  • Burger 3

11 hours ago, rhmilo said:

As far as the strokes are concerned: the research article CNN links to is about strokes *in patients in intensive care*.

Incidence might be higher than you’d expect but the effect is small and, hey, lying face down in an IC bed for weeks is pretty bad for you with or without corona, so it might just turn out to be some noise in the signal.

Also, statistics is hard, medical research is notoriously sloppy when it comes to statistics *and* everyone doing research on the corona virus is in a bit of a rush these days.

The corona virus wrecks your lungs. That is pretty much certain. The rest?

The first bit of data for anything is usually incorrect. We have to wait to see what they find. I'm not forming any beliefs on the subject but think it's important to assume the worst and continue social distancing.

• Like 2

News people and their dramatic enunciation always cracks me up.

"Scientists in Italy say that the VIEHRUSS has been detected in particles of AIIEEEYR POLUUTION"

I suppose they get training on how to do it properly.

Sadly, seeing these protests "for freedom", it seems like more people in the USA are going to contract the virus.
This is not the way to slow the spread of the virus, flatten the curve, and ease the strain on the hospitals and the health care workers.
Because of these freedom-protesters, and the many dubious (amoral / unethical) actions taken by the head of state and government of the United States of America, more innocent, poor and elderly Americans will die. (maybe also some of the freedom-protesters)
Even more sadly, a lot of this suffering could have been avoided or at least greatly diminished.

i.e.: (some) American People (including their supreme leader) are amplifying the suffering of (other) American People. (and infuriatingly also indirectly increasing the suffering of other nations and other people in the world)
The original cause is still the virus, but... its shifting rapidly towards a shared accountability.

Why am I being so critical? Because the USA has had a self-imposed highly-influential leading role in the world for much of post-world-war history.
Is the time of other (developing) nations looking upwards towards the USA as an (exemplary) prominent nation over?
If so, a power vacuum might bring some chaos in the world.
It has probably already been happening for quite a while though: The future seems more and more uncertain.

Or, to quote a wise man, good old Yoda himself:
"Always in motion, the future is."
"The dark side clouds everything."
"Impossible to see the light, the future is."

• Like 2

Body count is slowly starting to drop here in the UK.

Have noticed an increase in traffic out on the roads this past week, and definitely more people out and about during the day.  People are getting restless.

But I think the lockdown needs to carry on for another 3 weeks.  No point throwing away the work that is already done.

• Like 2

Not sure why we need to point fingers at the US. It's a small minority that's getting a lot of attention. Too much attention, imo. And another is that this isn't restricted to the US either.

One way or another, societies will have to move towards the herd immunity situation. And that's not possible with a complete lockdown. So it will be loosened up one way or another. While the virus will still be out there. (it will never leave, probably) Societies will be walking a tight rope until herd immunity is reached. Loosening up, until numbers rise again - which they will - and back again. Get used to it. And be prepared for the next wave.

Also note that the current percentages of people with antibodies are based on prevalence of at least 4 weeks earlier. At this point in time the actual percentage of people which will have antibodies might be double or even triple of that. Or in other words, expect that percentage to develop over time in a exponential fashion. Similar to the way the virus itself spreads. And there's also an extra delay until antibodies can actually be measured. So the current percentages represent the situation at the start of the current crisis basically.

Edited by goDel

21 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Life imitating art is getting creepy

wow. this movie flew under my radar, though i noticed it's trending, now. soderbergh does some good stuff. i'm checking it out and liking the cross-contamination cinematography.

Edited by very honest

32 minutes ago, very honest said:

wow. this movie flew under my radar, though i noticed it's trending, now. soderbergh does some good stuff. i'm checking it out and liking the cross-contamination cinematography.

Sanjay Gupta going on the news in the movie to talk about social distancing was what made me post this, too creepy.

Has this study been posted here already? I feel like this is right up WATMM's collective alley:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/coronavirus-found-paris-sewage-points-early-warning-system#

By sampling sewage across greater Paris for more than 1 month, researchers have detected a rise and fall in novel coronavirus concentrations that correspond to the shape of the COVID-19 outbreak in the region, where a lockdown is now suppressing spread of the disease. Although several research groups have reported detecting coronavirus in wastewater, the researchers say the new study is the first to show that the technique can pick up a sharp rise in viral concentrations in sewage before cases explode in the clinic.