IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

7 minutes ago, milkface said:

If only the American right were as vocal against homelessness and inequality (when it involves anyone that doesn't have white skin) as they are with so called violated rights that are being violated to stop the spread of a pandemic. Systematic police brutality and a prison population that makes up 1 in 4 people imprisoned in the world is fine but MUH CANT GET A HAIRCUT. Selfishness and """individualism""" is a plague.

if they did that, then they'd be rino's. and that might actually be worse than an actual liberal

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

if they did that, then they'd be rino's. and that might actually be worse than an actual liberal

COMMUNISM KILLED 6 TRILLION POEPLE.... I SAW IT WITH MY VERY OWN EYES (definitely not made up CIA stats) BABIES WERE SLAUGHTERED AT THE ALTAR... CARL MARKS DID IT WITH HIS OWN HANDS....

I gave myself a buzz cut and it was easy. Also, Communism really did kill millions of people. Cummunisn killed maybe 1 or 2. 

1 hour ago, Nebraska said:

click bait. stubborn fundamentalist religious people should be arrested for gathering.. same christians near new orleans etc..

Just now, ignatius said:

click bait. stubborn fundamentalist religious people should be arrested for gathering.. same christians near new orleans etc..

Well yeah but yesterday and today it was/is Yom Ha'atzmaut, some national day of Israel or something so that's why there's emphasis on Jewish people as they will be likely to have a party or something.

2 hours ago, timbre monke said:

I still wonder if Elon Musk is actually intelligent. Not sure if that was his birth name or had it legally changed at some point to make it sound more sci-fi.

his mom's a model and pretty sci-fi if you ask me

Edited by Nebraska
  • Like 1

Funny how officials are being blamed for shuttering the economy. I want to make a bet that without the "shuttering by officials" the economy would still be where it currently is. Or worse even. Lots of money is being pumped into the economy by those same officials as we speak, and still they're crying. That's taxpayers money.

To be fair though, the US is so big, it makes less sense to have the exact same lockdown policies everywhere. The virus hasn't spread equally. And probably wouldn't because of rural areas, for instance. As long as states are proactive, there can be "some" variation. It's more important for people to be well-informed about the dangers so they can take precautions. I'd be more worried about people being well-informed, btw. 

I mean, look at Europe. Compare Sweden to other countries, for instance. They have a bit more freedom, but it doesn't look like it's worse over there. At least, not that I'm aware. But it goes both ways. Despite the freeer society, their economy isn't in a very different shape to the rest of the EU either. It's bad everywhere. Also in Sweden.

So a bit of variation wouldn't have a big impact on either the safety or the economy. As long as people don't do stupid shit.

Most important thing is that the healthcare systems can cope with the demand at any point in time. The lockdown is essentially there to protect the healthcare systems. That was what the whole "flatten the curve" thing was about. It was about slowing down. Not about stopping. We're well past the idea of stopping the virus from spreading. It's already a global thing.

1 hour ago, Mesh Gear Fox said:

but most people protesting just think the entire thing is a hoax and don't seem to show any concern for the thousands of people losing their lives every day.

they protest for various reasons. I don't pretend to know which. The idiots on the street are a tiny minority. There's always a group of people who think different is better. We should know ?

And Elon Musk...is high as a kite. Take that guy with a grain of salt. It's social media...

5 hours ago, goDel said:

I mean, look at Europe. Compare Sweden to other countries, for instance. They have a bit more freedom, but it doesn't look like it's worse over there. At least, not that I'm aware.

Erm, you might want to compare to other Nordic countries.

Deaths per 1M population:

• Denmark 76
  • Finland 37
  • Iceland 29
  • Norway 38
  • Sweden 244

There's a lot of speculation in the Finnish press why the fuck Sweden is not more concerned about the corona virus and horrified Finns living in Sweden asking what the fuck is going.

• Like 1

The Swedes are idealistic to the point of self-damage, at least in this question. You can get the impression that by tendency they believe in values more than in pragmatism*. Big question is if the high death count in Sweden is due to a lack of restrictions or if it has to do with flaws in the Swedish healthcare system, or a mixture - if not synergy - of both.

*another example is the drug policies regarding heroin addicts. They refuse to implement the Danish model of safe consumption rooms even though it's evident that it reduces deaths and that recovery from addiction is more likely, causing deaths in Sweden and causing thousands of Swedish heroin and coke addicts to enter Denmark /randomfact

Yeah, while I agree it's hard to determine which measures are effective and which don't have that much real-world effect from the current patchwork of strict/soft/'intelligent' (:braindance:) lock-downs in Europe... Sweden is like the one example that's unambiguously doing worse than anyone in its neighborhood (Norway, Finland, Denmark, Estonia).

European monitoring of excess mortality for public health action (EuroMOMO)

image.thumb.png.35c48b97c429a4ec28f36eeeaf088766.png

Belgium is also an interesting example btw. But the assumption is they count their number of deaths more rigorously than others. At least, that's what they say.

I wasn't aware of the Swedish healthcare system being worse than other Nordics, btw. Generally speaking that is. (ignoring the corona thing) In terms of research and data-collection it's ahead of many countries. So perhaps, there's a Belgian-effect present in their numbers as well.

Was told that Sweden compared to Denmark is that the Danes are a bit more unhealthy than the Swedes. More smoking and alcohol. And therefore, generally speaking, worse outcomes/higher costs. At least, that's what the Danes told me when I visited them a couple years ago.

Edited by goDel

There's a ton of speculation here about the Swedish mentality and why they are doing this. Like Swedes try to avoid conflicts and challenge authorities so that's why nobody is asking difficult questions that might embarrass somebody or question their authority of experts. Other is that the Swedes are just going about with their usual Darwinian politics letting the virus kill the weak, old and poor, which frankly put might seem like a weird idea to anyone outside the Nordics seeing how Sweden is more egalitarian than vast majority of countries, lol. But yeah, this is the Nordics and their complicated history and relationships coloring the perception.

26 minutes ago, goDel said:

Belgium is also an interesting example btw. But the assumption is they count their number of deaths more rigorously than others. At least, that's what they say.

The EuroMOMO data above show mortality regardless of assigned cause of death, so that's no excuse for Belgium's performance. :closedeyes:

I think it's more likely that one or more of the regional governments were negligent in readying nursing homes for the epidemic (hospitals are a federal matter), and that people abused the permission to exercise outside, especially early on.

And, it being a small country (more comparable in population to Lombardy than to the whole of Italy, for instance), there is the element of luck. Once you have a "local" outbreak there's already not much left in terms of lesser affected regions to bring down the average.

Funny to hear Elon talk about American's rights and also brag about China's infrastructure in the same breath. Go ahead Elon. Say Chinese people need more rights. Say it. So easy. Just say it!

He won't though. Needs that cash.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

5 hours ago, zkom said:

There's a ton of speculation here about the Swedish mentality and why they are doing this. Like Swedes try to avoid conflicts and challenge authorities so that's why nobody is asking difficult questions that might embarrass somebody or question their authority of experts. Other is that the Swedes are just going about with their usual Darwinian politics letting the virus kill the weak, old and poor, which frankly put might seem like a weird idea to anyone outside the Nordics seeing how Sweden is more egalitarian than vast majority of countries, lol. But yeah, this is the Nordics and their complicated history and relationships coloring the perception.

Do you have more examples of these politics?

Here in Germany people getting fatigued by being careful it seems. When this whole thing started people were barely on the streets, now it's almost back to normal. Might be the nicer weather. Still, death count is rising and all the work that's been done and all the discipline to contain the pandemic right now is on the line. People are getting careless and the situation could soon become the same as in the Netherlands and Belgium.

• Like 1