IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

4 hours ago, zkom said:

Well, people outside US don't usually actually remember this, maybe because of all the other terrorism that overshadowed it in the 2000s. But I'd guess most people in watmm do.

Not sure why this is comparable to those fruitcakes protesting with guns for their freedom. Was Timothy McVeigh a regular protester before he decided to blow stuff up? I'm under the impression he wasn't, btw. Happy to be corrected.

And I'm not saying those people don't exist, right? All I'm saying is that terrorists are probably not the people you'd see at those protests we are talking about. You know, Venndiagrams and logic and such.

3 minutes ago, hijexx said:

We'll find out by the end of the month how this "re-open" thing works out. I hope it stays flat but I have my doubts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/us/coronavirus-updates.html?fbclid=IwAR1vURcGJxdW7R2qyC2-r1MdAWR7gGgucrbih_vLUx7A73uhRiP-Firg9dA

Coronavirus Live Updates: Trump Administration Models Predict Near Doubling of Daily Death Toll by June

Tensions between Washington and Beijing escalated. The Supreme Court heard a case remotely for the first time. An internal government report projected about 200,000 new cases each day by the end of the month.

wIz0mUf.png

• Burger 1

19 hours ago, psn said:

Try this thread:

What a hysterical load of guff.

Fear the double digit IQ white peril!

Fucking hilarious. 

So.

First things first. 

We need to talk about....

the huge clampdown on civil liberties the reaction to this con tagion has unleashed on society.

Now this is TRUELY something to be afraid of.

Edited by drome
  • Facepalm 6

11 hours ago, zkom said:

Well, people outside US don't usually actually remember this, maybe because of all the other terrorism that overshadowed it in the 2000s. But I'd guess most people in watmm do.

I think this is the first specific news story I actually DO remember. My family didn't own a TV until late '93 and other than a general sense of bad things going on in Bosnia, Rwanda, Israel and Afghanistan (already an Atlas nut), other news stories pre-'96 are a bit murky for me. I have no memory of  conjecturey things like OJ or Tonya Harding.

In Australia, the early '96 election campaign and Port Arthur massacre (which relevantly changed our gun laws) was really when the news cycle came into being for me.

• Like 1

It's amazing to look in the sky and see nothing but blue, also noticing im seeing planets more clearly at night. Venus is bright as hell. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, goDel said:

Not sure why this is comparable to those fruitcakes protesting with guns for their freedom. Was Timothy McVeigh a regular protester before he decided to blow stuff up? I'm under the impression he wasn't, btw. Happy to be corrected.

And I'm not saying those people don't exist, right? All I'm saying is that terrorists are probably not the people you'd see at those protests we are talking about. You know, Venndiagrams and logic and such.

He did go around distributing pro-gun literature and bumper stickers in gun shows and also at site during the Waco siege even giving an interview to a student reporter.

I guess what I meant was that while most of these people are harmless, there's a real possibility that this situation will push some people that are already close to the edge over the edge and they will act violently. And it doesn't take much intelligence to become a terrorist. The guys who steal trucks and then plough them into a crowd and then claim that it was done in the name of ISIS or something similar are not exactly highly trained militants or terrorist masterminds. Creating a fertilizer bomb isn't some advanced science either.

• Like 1

Yeah + i've read the thread psn posted in the meantime.

I will say though that there's a lot of incompetence in the pictures of those protesters. Even terrorists require to be competent.

Talking about competence, btw, did the white house create their own excel model to predict the development of the corona virus? Flol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's why the American left has to find common ground with evangelicals & the like, otherwise these easy to manipulate people become/stay an instrument of the far right. Shouldn't be too hard, there is lots of social politics that you can read into the bible. Just don't ridicule them and treat them like human garbage ("white trash")

• Like 1

Update

In Belgium, some businesses that do not have direct contact with customers can now reopen.
However, because of this, it is now mandatory to wear a facemask in places where social distancing is hard and/or impossible to realize:
 - on public transport
 - in school
 - in essential businesses that could have direct contact with co-workers and customers

Facemasks are not yet mandatory to wear in public.
Social distancing is still mandatory of course.
Staying home inside is still encouraged.
Doing some light exercising or walking is encouraged to keep body, spirit and mind fit.
Going on holiday abroad remains prohibited.
All restaurants, bars, and a lot of other non-essential high-risk businesses remain closed.

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 5

Does anyone have a subscription to the Financial Times? Looking to circumvent the paywall, screenshots are fine thx - Just wondering as I heard that FT had done research which suggested that by 22nd April there were as many as 40,000 deaths in the UK and around 50,000 by the 4th May as a large majority of home + care home (general outside of hospital zones) had not been included in the official stats.

8 hours ago, dingformung said:

It's why the American left has to find common ground with evangelicals & the like, otherwise these easy to manipulate people become/stay an instrument of the far right. Shouldn't be too hard, there is lots of social politics that you can read into the bible. Just don't ridicule them and treat them like human garbage ("white trash")

That'll be rather interesting. Left wing ideas are complex and very hard to wrap your head around whereas far right ideas are just slogans and the rage of the emotionally weak.

Edited by milkface

5 minutes ago, milkface said:

Does anyone have a subscription to the Financial Times? Looking to circumvent the paywall, screenshots are fine thx - Just wondering as I heard that FT had done research which suggested that by 22nd April there were as many as 40,000 deaths in the UK and around 50,000 by the 4th May as a large majority of home + care home (general outside of hospital zones) had not been included in the official stats.

That'll be rather interesting. Left wing ideas are complex and very hard to wrap your head around whereas far right ideas are just slogans and the rage of the emotionally weak.

models in USA are saying doubling of deaths/cases by june as some states partially reopen. 

Just now, ignatius said:

models in USA are saying doubling of deaths/cases by june as some states partially reopen. 

Why did I just have a vision of myself sitting with my future child helping them with a history essay about the spread of the coronavirus? Must be nothing.

• Burger 1

8 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

Update

In Belgium, some businesses that do not have direct contact with customers can now reopen.
However, because of this, it is now mandatory to wear a facemask in places where social distancing is hard and/or impossible to realize:
 - on public transport
 - in school
 - in essential businesses that could have direct contact with co-workers and customers

Facemasks are not yet mandatory to wear in public.
Social distancing is still mandatory of course.
Staying home inside is still encouraged.
Doing some light exercising or walking is encouraged to keep body, spirit and mind fit.
Going on holiday abroad remains prohibited.
All restaurants, bars, and a lot of other non-essential high-risk businesses remain closed.

Also from Belgium:

https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/belgium-health-minister-puts-ban-on-non-essential-sexual-activities-of-persons-3-or-greater-in-indoor-areas/

Spoiler

Yes I’m aware it’s satire.

• Haha 1

far right doing its thing. 

https://www.exposedbycmd.org/2020/04/30/alec-leading-right-wing-campaign-to-reopen-the-economy-despite-covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR19EAER1u9oJo8hukubXoRrj-kxV93TyJN2TPZ11AKoYTu-_40Wdnn-Eb4

Documents obtained by the Center for Media and Democracy (CMD) show that a powerful corporate lobby front group, the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), is playing a leading role in the right-wing movement to push for early reopening of the economy amidst the coronavirus pandemic that has cost the United States 61,680 lives to date.

ALEC is a corporate pay-to-play operation where legislators and corporate lobbyists vote behind closed doors to adopt model legislation on a broad range of public policy issues.

• Facepalm 2

37 minutes ago, milkface said:
9 hours ago, dingformung said:

That's what left populism is for. Simplify the message and put it into a Christian context. Jesus loves health insurance lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_left#Alliance_of_the_left_and_Christianity

• Like 1

We should let the far-right people have a little section of America where they can congregate to their heart’s content, but they can’t leave. Let’s call it...Al-obama. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Farnsworth 1

Got the order to reopen the park I maintain here in WA, even though Inslee's 4 phase plan says beach access isn't allowed until phase 2 (at least 3 weeks out from today). I linked one of the management staff to the pdf, but haven't heard back. No other guidance, no protocols to follow if large crowds gather here, all they did was add one sign promoting social distancing and that says "CROWDS CLOSE PARKS." I have no real authority, and look like a bit of a hoodlum, so most of the local Karens just ignore me or glare. I'm on good terms with the sheriff; do I call him if I see 50+ people here? If someone has a birthday party here? Twenty family neighborhood potluck? What do? ugh

I'm kinda hard-nosed about this kind of thing, and while I do need to lighten up at times, it bugs me that I have *no* instructions here.

also, I hit a snag in my unemployment claim and probably won't get paid for last week. They're so overloaded that my standby extension request took weeks to approve, and there's a dead week in there that probably won't get dealt with at all. Pretty sure I missed their one phone call while mowing. And where are my trumpbucks!? :dry:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5