IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

hehe

the irony of that meme: the US is apparently keeping distance. while the rest of the world is stuck on a boat. with a virus.

• Haha 1

It's worrying, even with all the masks being worn during protests, we should expect to see another huge spike in cases and deaths in the US.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, goDel said:

hehe

the irony of that meme: the US is apparently keeping distance. while the rest of the world is stuck on a boat. with a virus.

I don't think the virus is in the boat; in this metaphor it's probably the sea that is being conquered by the stalwart ship on the hand and, a bit more shakily, the surfboard-and-umbrella dude on the other hand.

• Burger 1

so glad we're past the doom & gloom phase and can post stupid comedic shit in this thread again.

just to recap, the thread started as funny pictures of people in China wearing plastic jugs on their heads when it was still called the Wuhan virus. moved from there to toilet paper jokes. then the waves of doom & gloom rolled in and it seemed like we were all gonna die. serious posts for dozens of pages. now we're back to comedy, as we're all stuck in an uncertain limbo of "are we back to normal yet?"... 

30 minutes ago, zero said:

so glad we're past the doom & gloom phase and can post stupid comedic shit in this thread again.

just to recap, the thread started as funny pictures of people in China wearing plastic jugs on their heads when it was still called the Wuhan virus. moved from there to toilet paper jokes. then the waves of doom & gloom rolled in and it seemed like we were all gonna die. serious posts for dozens of pages. now we're back to comedy, as we're all stuck in an uncertain limbo of "are we back to normal yet?"... 

We're still fucked. The virus is just less depressing than the other shit right now.

• Like 1

Have we covered the fact that the biggest casualties from the riots will without a doubt be the thousands of older people who die of corona that would have likely been fine otherwise?  That oughta get things back on track in here.

Just over two weeks ago our governor issued the "re-open" order. And now active cases in my state are nearly triple from last week.

And on top of all the shit that's happened in the past week alone, and that this year's not quite half over yet...and the fact that we still have a looming general election...

• Sad 1

The bars, restaurants, museums, libraries, etc opened on Monday here with some limitations like they need to stop serving alcohol at 10pm and only half the usual amount of customers are allowed in indoor premises. A few weeks ago I was thinking that I'll probably be one of the first ones in the bars once they reopen, but to be honest, once I took a look at the crowded bar terraces I thought fuck that. Not going to go there risk getting corona just to drink overpriced beer. I can drink overpriced beer at my own home in safety just as well.

TBH, and this is a bit stupid I know, it was kind of exciting traveling and going to places when the sort of mini-lockdown was happening here. Sitting in the empty train cars, people eyeing each other suspiciously. Empty malls with most of the shops closed. Having to walk to the airport because no public transport going there and having your papers checked multiple times and asked about your destination. Eating outside because only take-away was available. A kind of adventure right? Now everything is crowded with half the people seemingly drunk and it feels fucking annoying.

It's a bit mind-boggling that now everything is supposedly safe all of sudden while the virus is still on the loose? And people are acting like things are back to normal. Second wave coming..

Anyway, I'll go to the office for the next week and the following week I'll hole up in the countryside alone.

• Like 1

No Covid-19 related deaths in Oxfordshire for the past week. 

There are still obvious UK hotspots (dense urban areas mostly), but it seems to be under control in most rural areas now. Life slowly emerging as a "new normal" which I hope means more sustainable travel, less waste, looking out for each other and the environment, and supporting small business.  Yeah, I can hope.

31 minutes ago, zkom said:

The bars, restaurants, museums, libraries, etc opened on Monday here with some limitations like they need to stop serving alcohol at 10pm and only half the usual amount of customers are allowed in indoor premises. A few weeks ago I was thinking that I'll probably be one of the first ones in the bars once they reopen, but to be honest, once I took a look at the crowded bar terraces I thought fuck that. Not going to go there risk getting corona just to drink overpriced beer. I can drink overpriced beer at my own home in safety just as well.

TBH, and this is a bit stupid I know, it was kind of exciting traveling and going to places when the sort of mini-lockdown was happening here. Sitting in the empty train cars, people eyeing each other suspiciously. Empty malls with most of the shops closed. Having to walk to the airport because no public transport going there and having your papers checked multiple times and asked about your destination. Eating outside because only take-away was available. A kind of adventure right? Now everything is crowded with half the people seemingly drunk and it feels fucking annoying.

It's a bit mind-boggling that now everything is supposedly safe all of sudden while the virus is still on the loose? And people are acting like things are back to normal. Second wave coming..

Anyway, I'll go to the office for the next week and the following week I'll hole up in the countryside alone.

Where is "here"?

• Like 2

We're pretty much back to normal here as well. Still some crowd limitations, and distancing measures in place, but nothing too invasive. Yay we did it

577016951_2020-06-03-Covid-19BelgiumGraphs.png.485df65bb807c3ccb5a2cd4f0f2364ea.png

As in most of Europe, the number of new infections continues going downwards over here, steadily but slowly.
Looking good. ?
No sign of a 2nd wave. (yet)
Bars and restaurants will probably open up starting 8 June.
Social distancing is still mandatory though. 

• Like 2

I work for the NHS in England in Birmingham and was redeployed as a Health Care Assistant (normally I'm a newly qualified Speech and Language Therapist  - I only started in early January!) during the peak of deaths in my area. I'm now off work recovering with what is probably post-traumatic stress. It was absolute chaos and really horrible. I've learnt a life time of lesson in like 5 weeks and should probably write a book about my experience or something. Crazy. I'm really terrified about a second wave, I'm pretty much going to refuse redeployment if that happens again. From my experience on the ''front line'' I personally think the way the UK has handled this is absolutely appaling and as much as it's shit, I think we should stay strongly locked down for as long as we possibly can genuinelly as otherwise an even more sizable chunk of our wonderful elderly population will be wiped out. ? 

It's positive obviously that death rates are continuing to drop around the world and that's amazing right, I'm not a total doom merchant but I just think the general public have no idea how many people have and will die from this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 13
  • Sad 5

7 minutes ago, Polytrix said:

I'm now off work recovering with what is probably post-traumatic stress. It was absolute chaos and really horrible. I've learnt a life time of lesson in like 5 weeks and should probably write a book about my experience or something.

First, thank you! I can't even imagine.

Second, definitely write the book. If anything, it may be therapeutic to get the thoughts out of your head. Maybe give yourself a break first, tho. You earned it.

• Like 1

Apparently I could travel to Estonia now and finish my dental care there. I go to a dentist in Tallinn because it's like half the price of Helsinki. But maybe I'll just wait a couple of more weeks to see how things develop..

Thank you that's very kind. Yeah, I just keep breaking into tears all the time. I need to start looking after myself again as I basically in crisis drive mode for five weeks running off adrenaline doing everything I could for just this incredible old people who were all succoming to this and we all felt totally helpless. I think there's going to be a huge surge in NHS employees seeking mental health support. 

I was in a wonderful place before my redeployment and this has absolutely set me back by a country mile. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 4

Best to you, poly. I hope you can take some positives from your experiences. Or perhaps, that you can work through them so they don't keep you down and consider them useful. I'm sure a lot of people are very thankful for your efforts. Take care.

• Like 1